• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Introduction

Teeny

Hi. I'm Teeny.Believe it or not, I think I registered a long time ago, but havent been for a long time. I am a 5 yr out from surgery and I was 231 in2014 an I lost down ro 154, I am now 70 yrs old and have gained 20 lbs in the last yr. I was doing great. Got up every morning early and walked. I still drink my protein shake every day. a yr ago I fell, hurt my knee and was in a wheel chair for three months, my knee was fine. but I never got back to walking. Since then, it has been an uphill climb. I still get full fast, but I know I am eating more crap then I should be. Its hard to talk to my friends or spouse about this, because they saw so much success in me 5 years ago and now......So I thought I'd come back here to get some motivation and encouragement. Anything, hints or help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HELLOOOO! Any one out there. Feeling a little discouraged. no one has responded or said one thing to me. I did post at 6:45, maybe thatsit. Needs some support and encouragment to get backon track. I am wanting to suupport others too. Sounding desparate....just need a Hey You! Thanks!

Welcome to the current constellation of this group. Yes you did join on March 28th 2018 according to your profile. Where ya been, Teeny?

I would like to encourage you to stop eating crap! You know better. You have been through this. And anyone who has failed and regained will tell you it was the stupidest thing they ever did.

You lost 77 lbs. What did it feel like after that.?

Look, Teeny, your story is very familiar. But there is one thing you really need to do if you but there is one thing you really need to do if you want to turn it around. You have to work on your broken brain. I mean, look at this. Why would any sane, rational, mentally healthy person ever want to go back to that life and throw away so much success with both hands? It has to be some glitch in your brain, right?

I'd rather die than go back to weighing 250 lb. You might be a little bit stuck, like everyone gets, on a sad plateau. But you can get unstuck. You already did it once. You can do it again.

We are all going to love you here and we're going to give you a lot of support and a lot of validation. Ask a specific and singly focused question and let us answer it for you.

Then, go fix up your profile. That's what it's here for. Add some before and after pictures. Tell us something about yourself in a profile post. I look at people's profiles all the time, over and over again, since I can't see them in person and I want to get to know them. Adding to your profile will probably help you remember intensely what life was like before and after. Let the good feelings in.

Here's a preview of the next post I'm planning to make. I'm heavily focused on self-sabotaging how the brain can screw everything up.

"Do Some Soul-Searching
"New research is causing experts to believe our mindset has everything to do with weight loss. If you’re losing the weight simply to be thinner, it might be more difficult than if you have a more worthwhile purpose for your health and longevity (like if you want to be healthy and strong to play with your grandkids!)
"It’s totally OK to want to lose weight in part for aesthetic reasons—it’s your body after all—but it might be worth spending some time to take inventory of all the other amazing health benefits eating healthy and exercising have to offer, besides a smaller pant size."

Then read a bunch of posts and make sure you react them by clicking on the Like symbol at the end. There are several choices besides Like. People will see your name and that you gave them a compliment, or that their post had an impact on you. They'll be looking you up, believe me.

Bless you....I need you.!
Okay Teeny, why don't you tell us what kind of junk food you're eating? Why aren't you eating the food that was designed for you to eat? I know you're having a protein shake, but why aren't you following the guidelines that lead you to drop 77 lb in the first place?

Do you really believe that your loved ones are unaware of this bender you're on? Is your weight gain noticeable? It's just a matter of time, and by that time it's going to be much much harder.

I want to encourage you, but there has to be an exchange of thoughts here. You need to respond. And you need to talk about what is going on. Give us something to go on. Say what you're not saying.

Okay Teeny, why don't you tell us what kind of junk food you're eating? Why aren't you eating the food that was designed for you to eat? I know you're having a protein shake, but why aren't you following the guidelines that lead you to drop 77 lb in the first place?

Do you really believe that your loved ones are unaware of this bender you're on? Is your weight gain noticeable? It's just a matter of time, and by that time it's going to be much much harder.

I want to encourage you, but there has to be an exchange of thoughts here. You need to respond. And you need to talk about what is going on. Give us something to go on. Say what you're not saying.
Of course they all can tell that Ive already added some weight, but they are all too nice to call me on it. They have not had the surgery,but they also struggle with weight loss in some form or another. I am eating more junk food like choco ghrahm crackers and chedder rice crisps. I also drink waaaaay more Dr. Pepper then I should. Although when I order in resturants I don't have 5 or six refills like I used to. If I do go out, I order something small, like a sandwich and then eat only half and save the rest for tomorrow. I still eat way more smaller portions they I used to. We certainly don't go to all you can eat buffets. Too expensive and I don't eat much. I also notice when I eat, I sneeze, that's my trigger to tell me that I should not eat anymore. I know, weird. dianeseattle, I honestly KNOW what I SHOULD be doing, Lord knows, I done enough "dieting in my lifetime". Just need to get things under control. I saw someone suggest writing things down, but I am so Sick and done with dieting....I need this to be a total lifestyle for me. I think this all happened when I fell and hurt my knee. I was doing OK til then, lose 2 lbs, gain1 lose three gain 4. Up and down, up and down. I used to walk early mornings around 4:30. Dark, quiet, no people, no cars. Much much cooler.......I haven't walked for qute a while, but I did thi morning, so there's that. I am motivated a bit...I did rejoin this site AND I am tslking to you. Again thankyou. Does thathelp. If you need to know more, let me know...I will answer any questions you have for me.

That was all good. You were very honest. We're all going to tell you to drop the Dr Pepper. You know why, based on the sugars in it. But it's a bigger hazard because it's carbonated. Even though it's hard to stretch your stomach, drinking soda will make it easier.

That was all good. You were very honest. We're all going to tell you to drop the Dr Pepper. You know why, based on the sugars in it. But it's a bigger hazard because it's carbonated. Even though it's hard to stretch your stomach, drinking soda will make it easier.
Sorry, premature ejection! "Control" is something we all want, but it's almost impossible to acquire. But pat yourself on the back for reaching out! You are in agony over this.

I'm going to give you some advice you might not want. You've made your knee accident into a Godzilla with all power over you. Even though it's healed, it keeps you down. I think you should see a doctor about it and tell all. Either you are way more injured than you thought, or you need a little TLC and some gentle PT to restore your active life. Your knee shouldn't be something you think about every day. Why are you allowing it?

Like all of us, you're an expert on dieting and a pass master in low self-esteem. You want to act normal to make your loved ones happy. But how about you? You're throwing out all the tools you need to show how much you care. You KNOW you need to write things down and practice portion control. You know those cookies and crackers are like a gun to your head, when you are just a kind, loving teeny woman. That is an unfair advantage.

So here's a little more advice, just one tiny thing. When you get up tomorrow, go outside and drink in the world. Take deep breaths in and out slowly. And say one nice thing to yourself, aloud, 10 times, as you notice how beautiful the morning is. Your depression and fear will fight you, but the message will still reach the part of your brain that loves you.

Nothing I've said is difficult or radical. I can't imagine what excuse your eating disorder could give me. Put yourself out of your misery with medical care and a few minutes of self care. If that doesn't work, we'll try something else. If nothing works, I'll email you a coupon for Dr Pepper.

I honestly KNOW what I SHOULD be doing, Lord knows, I done enough "dieting in my lifetime". Just need to get things under control.

Hi Teeny,

Diane has really said it all but I wanted to add a second voice of support. Please pardon the delayed response, I'm really glad Diane noticed you were here reaching out for support. I know you know what you should be doing and wish you all the best.

Sorry, premature ejection! "Control" is something we all want, but it's almost impossible to acquire. But pat yourself on the back for reaching out! You are in agony over this.

I'm going to give you some advice you might not want. You've made your knee accident into a Godzilla with all power over you. Even though it's healed, it keeps you down. I think you should see a doctor about it and tell all. Either you are way more injured than you thought, or you need a little TLC and some gentle PT to restore your active life. Your knee shouldn't be something you think about every day. Why are you allowing it?

Like all of us, you're an expert on dieting and a pass master in low self-esteem. You want to act normal to make your loved ones happy. But how about you? You're throwing out all the tools you need to show how much you care. You KNOW you need to write things down and practice portion control. You know those cookies and crackers are like a gun to your head, when you are just a kind, loving teeny woman. That is an unfair advantage.

So here's a little more advice, just one tiny thing. When you get up tomorrow, go outside and drink in the world. Take deep breaths in and out slowly. And say one nice thing to yourself, aloud, 10 times, as you notice how beautiful the morning is. Your depression and fear will fight you, but the message will still reach the part of your brain that loves you.

Nothing I've said is difficult or radical. I can't imagine what excuse your eating disorder could give me. Put yourself out of your misery with medical care and a few minutes of self care. If that doesn't work, we'll try something else. If nothing works, I'll email you a coupon for Dr Pepper.
dianeseattle.....No I am not in any kind of pain from my knee at all... I seriously walk fine, that truly isn't the problem. Just don't feel like getting up and I like the sleep

I already, though, feel better. I not only plan on getting up early again and walking, but I WILL drink the day in and say great things about me......now, the Dr. Pepper......I know I MUST give it up and believe me I have tried....when I first had surgery, I didn't drink it for almost 2 years...I drank my fill of water and crystal light....so I can do it I know its possible. Getting back to basics is truly the key....more liquids (water) , stopping the crap going in and eating enough protein. I am going to seriously try to take it one day at a time....wean myself down. I think I can do that. Not drink it for a while and (maybe) treat myself or not!I have a few drinks left in the fridge...but I pledge NOT to buy any more at the store.... There, I said it and I mean it,, when I went back to drinking it, I never bought any at the store. I would drink it only when we ate out. Besides its cheaper NOT to buy it with your food. Please keep on encouraging me. Now that I have someone to verbalize all this to, it helps my motivation....I promise to get back on line after my walk and let you know how things are going. It's just nice to be able to reach out and there's someone who grabs your hand and walks with you. Thanks again, Dianeseattle. Keep you coupon, I ain't gonna need it! LOL!

Good for you, Teeny! You are amazingly open to possibilities. You landed in a good place, too. It looks like we have about five active men, two who are post-op, about 25 active women, maybe 2/3 are post-op and several more in the bullpen. About a dozen more are lurking, visiting and reading but not ready to post.

I'm going to omit some people here from an old list <<<SORRY!>>>, but MamaBear, Brenda, Redy2go, AnnieLuv, Texnoble, honeysgirl, Troyinmiami, NicoleY, PinkJulie, ttyson, April1980, Weezy'sJourney, FrankMac, Justin1 & Justin2, Krazykat928, MK Knight, & SuzanOB are are just 18 of the people who really work at giving advice or comfort. Find their posts and be inspired.

I may not be around tomorrow. Errands to run.

The longer you're here, the more you'll get. The more you get, the more you'll grow. The more you grow, the more you'll give.

And don't forget to react or thank by clicking on the Like icon.

I already, though, feel better. I not only plan on getting up early again and walking, but I WILL drink the day in and say great things about me......now, the Dr. Pepper......I know I MUST give it up and believe me I have tried....when I first had surgery, I didn't drink it for almost 2 years...I drank my fill of water and crystal light....so I can do it I know its possible. Getting back to basics is truly the key....more liquids (water) , stopping the crap going in and eating enough protein. I am going to seriously try to take it one day at a time....wean myself down. I think I can do that. Not drink it for a while and (maybe) treat myself or not!I have a few drinks left in the fridge...but I pledge NOT to buy any more at the store.... There, I said it and I mean it,, when I went back to drinking it, I never bought any at the store. I would drink it only when we ate out. Besides its cheaper NOT to buy it with your food. Please keep on encouraging me. Now that I have someone to verbalize all this to, it helps my motivation....I promise to get back on line after my walk and let you know how things are going. It's just nice to be able to reach out and there's someone who grabs your hand and walks with you. Thanks again, Dianeseattle. Keep you coupon, I ain't gonna need it! LOL!
Good for you, Teeny! You are amazingly open to possibilities. You landed in a good place, too. It looks like we have about five active men, two who are post-op, about 25 active women, maybe 2/3 are post-op and several more in the bullpen. About a dozen more are lurking, visiting and reading but not ready to post.

I'm going to omit some people here from an old list <<<SORRY!>>>, but MamaBear, Brenda, Redy2go, AnnieLuv, Texnoble, honeysgirl, Troyinmiami, NicoleY, PinkJulie, ttyson, April1980, Weezy'sJourney, FrankMac, Justin1 & Justin2, Krazykat928, MK Knight, & SuzanOB are are just 18 of the people who really work at giving advice or comfort. Find their posts and be inspired.

I may not be around tomorrow. Errands to run.

The longer you're here, the more you'll get. The more you get, the more you'll grow. The more you grow, the more you'll give.

And don't forget to react or thank by clicking on the Like icon.

Hey it's me! Morning. Just letting ypu know, that I was up at 4:15, breathed in that wonderful Las Vegas air and walked. drank some wter and waited until now to post this. I believe I am just beginning to see the light. A tiny pinprick, but it's there. I have begun readingother people's posts and I will begin to jump in when I am ready. I've never been on a orum before, but give me a chance and I'll be right in the thick of things. You must be the main moderator. Did you begin this forum"? If you di, I am thankful you stepped up....We all need support in some ways and this is perfect for me right now. Thankyou for being there and my goal today....NO Dr. Pepper! LOL You have an awesome day and we will touch bases again soon. I will post later to tell you how my day went. And each day after I will check in when I can. I know you re very busy with others and your life. Let me know how you are doing?

Teeny, I love your honesty. Sometimes it is so hard to be honest with ourselves much less other people.
I'm so happy you went out and walked this morning. First steps are always the hardest.
I know I had a hard time getting back into a regular exercise routine. I am on it now and hopefully will keep it up after my surgery on August 5th.

Teeny, I love your honesty. Sometimes it is so hard to be honest with ourselves much less other people.
I'm so happy you went out and walked this morning. First steps are always the hardest.
I know I had a hard time getting back into a regular exercise routine. I am on it now and hopefully will keep it up after my surgery on August 5th.
when I got home from surgery, did allmy stuff, but how I got walking was to make circuits around the house for about 1/2 t0 1 hour. It was easier at that point to do that. I started goinhg outside maybe a month and 1/2 after surgery. I really helped. Good luck.\!

Hey, just checking in. Just thought you might want to know...I have gotten up at 4:30 3 days in a row and walked. I have not drank DR. Pepper for 2 straight doys and this will be my 3rd day.Even went out for dinner last night and had A chicken breast and som steamed veges....Ive drank more water in the last couple of days then I have in over a year...LOL. I call that winning at this point. Thanks to you all for the encouragement to get me back on track...and to let you know,,, Im not going anywhere. I may not check in everyday. but I will return every few days to let you know how my progress is going. You have given me this gift and I do want to continue....Its one day at a time..Im not checking my weight yet and I dont have to at this point. But I notice my demeanor and positviity is over the top....thats whats important right now. The weight loss will come soon enough. Hope all is well with everyone....and remember you are important to me....,Thank you.....

Back