• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Iron Deficiency and Grits (Because Cream of Wheat and Malt-O-Meal suck)

Fosgate

I also posted this in the recipe section.

Facing a bit of an iron deficiency since I don't absorb nutrients with my duodenal switch with roux en Y. This led me down the path to discover grits as a potential for adding iron in my diet as I googled foods high in iron. I found that vast majority of cream of wheat and malt o meal is not high in iron. Even some of the grits unless they were instant and enriched did not have much. Come to find out a lot depended on how far processed and if enriched as to how much for nutrients it had in it. This was ok with me, I grew up with cream of wheat and malt-o-meal as a kid and loved them...that is until I went off to the Army and had grits prepared from scratch and I lost the taste for the two types prior. Plus, ever look at the back of Cream of Whatever and see what is in the ingredients?

They say stone ground is best but I could not find much for iron in the brands I found and small containers of them were fairly expensive. I found that I could however buy a bulk 25lb bag of Yellow corn grits from Sams and the reviews were great though I could not find solid data on how much for nutritional values as it had. It just showed it was enriched. I went ahead and used some points so a bag of them cost me about $3. I also found a box of Jim Dandy Iron Fortified instant Grits (60% daily requirement for Iron) and ordered a box that has not yet arrived.)

I quickly got my 25lb bag of grits from Sam's (they also have White corn Grits (link)) Link to Sams Club 25lb bag Yellow Corn
here's the nutrition info on the Yellow corn bag label I got.
View attachment 5556

I had my Dr review the labels and thought both them and the Jim Dandy grits were a great idea they thought my Bariatric Pal One multivitamin I had been taking with a 45 or 60mg iron plus my 18mg Chelated Iron from Bariatric pal first thing in the morning was just upsetting my stomach. (Lethal dose or excess is considered 60mg+ and I had been taking 110mg throughout the day as prescribed by another Dr. They advised I should take some vitamin C first thing in the morning to tap into those nutriets and maybe each time I take a supplement to help absorb that iron. They suggested taking about 100mg. At first I tried a small bit of OJ=dumping syndrome, Orange fruit=same, Pineapple and strawberries=same. Knowing a lot of Vitamin C most of what is sold out there contains high amounts of Vitamin C and other vitamins. I found two worth trying though.

One was a probiotic with vitamin c and no other added vitamins. While good, on an empty stomach I felt my stomach seemed a bit more acidic. The second, Vitafusion Power C, has been the best so far without any notice except in the test results that shows my levels improving.

Grits are quickly becoming my go to as they go down easy and settle nicely to start my day off. here is how I prepare my grits for the morning. I prefer them creamy, sweet with a bit of butter. You can go with cheese, bacon etc, sort of like rice.

Grits typically require 5 parts liquid to 1 part grits, and add liquid is it looks like it needs it (if it looks grainy or rough).

here is for what I prepare for my wife and I. You can cook more if you want and refrigerate the leftovers and just add a bit of liquid when you heat them back up.

1/2 cup grits
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup Almond Milk ( I have come to really like the Sams Club unsweetened vanilla)
1/2 Cup of Silk Non-dairy heavy Whipping cream.
2 TBSP butter (1 TBSP for each bowl)
1 TBSP Splenda (for me)
1 TBSP sugar (for hers)

Steps
  1. Bring liquids to a boil while stirring (you don't want to let the milk, cream to burn or boil over) (I like to use a rectangular silicone spatula)
  2. Stir in the grits and reduce heat to low where it just keeps a small blop or bubble, have to watch it the first couple minutes to make sure it doesn't boil over or that you add too much heat.
  3. Partially cover with lid (this will cut your cook time in half.
  4. Stir every 5-10 minutes making sure to scrap the bottom and sides and stir those thick accumulations with the rest of the grits and partially cover again.) I stir every 5.
  5. If you notice the grits getting a little rough or grainy add a splash of water and stir.
  6. When you hit about 30 min overall you should be done.
  7. Scoop into a bowl
  8. Add a TBSP of Splenda and stir, add more if you like it sweeter or start with less if you don't like it very sweet)
  9. Add a TBS of Sugar to the rest of the freeloaders eating at your table.
  10. Add a TBSP of butter (salted or unsalted is personal preference, I prefer salted)
  11. Serve
Settles so much better in the stomach than Cream of Whatever and Malt-O-Maybe and far lest aftertaste. Not to mention just google grits and look at the images for the endless possibilities of what you can add for virtually any meal.

IMG_2356.jpg

Back