• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

It’s okay to slip up but don’t forget to GET back up

I tend to let some weekends slide on my healthy eating because I want to enjoy a little bit of what everyone else is. We went to the movies last night and I ate just regular candy from what my husband and kids bought (maybe 6 pieces), some popcorn and a couple of nachos. I also enjoyed a diet frosted lemonade over a two day span this past holiday weekend (we are in Utah) which is something I had been craving for weeks. As bad as all of that sounds, I ate healthy the rest of those days and also exercised. I didn’t let it become an entire day of eating junk. Sometimes we just want to feel “normal” and I had to tell myself that it’s okay to do that just as long as you do it in moderation and don’t let it become an actually problem. Just thought I would share with anyone who struggles with this because I used to get really emotional about having treats and would feel so guilty just for craving certain things. For me those cravings don’t go away unless I have a little bit of it but if you don’t trust yourself then I would recommend finding an alternative. Have a wonderful day everyone!
How long ago was your surgery? I was told I would not be able to sugary food for the rest of my life because of dumping syndrome.

I had mine a year and half ago and I eat normal most of the time but I eat smaller portions of normal food . Like instead of a whole bag of chips I have a small bowl stuff like that . I just over did it with the ice cream yesterday the container says 14 grams of sugar and I ate the whole thing stupid me should of only had around 7 or less

How long ago was your surgery? I was told I would not be able to sugary food for the rest of my life because of dumping syndrome.
I will be 7 weeks post op Wednesday :) I chose the sleeve vs. bypass bc I didn’t want to feel so restricted w/how much and what I’m able eat. I was told that bypass patients dump if they have too much fat or sugar in one sitting and that they aren’t able to eat as much as a sleeve patient can and because of those reasons (along w/ a few more) I chose sleeve. I also have a really close friend who had bypass and it’s been really tough on her. She’s over 3 yrs out and struggles quit a bit. Everyone’s journey is different though and MANY choose bypass BECAUSE it is SO restrictive and they go on to have wonderful experiences. I personal would rather have real sugar vs. fake ones but that’s just my preference. I’ve heard that you can dump with even alcohol sugars so that’s that. I have never been sick over having either though however, I limit it to one or two days a week where I splurge on something sweet.

Lesa Marie:
Thanks so Much for your sharing Ur Struggle! Over the years, I have had some issues and struggles.
But my Daughter’s and my Grandkids are my inspiration! I am like the Engine that kept on trying! I tell myself I think I can…. I think I can.
Finally able to say and know I can!
Awe, you’re so welcome :) We are only human and it’s totally natural and normal to struggle with life in general at times. We live and learn and that’s what’s the most important.

Kathi, I had the bypass and am able to eat sugar. I am just over a year post op but have had sugar occasionally since probably 6 months or so. It is really going to depend on your body. I do try to keep it very occasional, since sugary foods more than any other, lead to craving more sugar. And you just have to watch how much you have.

I read something interesting in a book the psychologist recommended in a reading list for women with food issues.
My paraphrase is that we are looking for something sweet which is a representation of wanting loving sweetness and kindness from our mothers. I am trying to train myself to substitute some other self care thing for the sweets. Still in major training mode, NOT there yet. I admit I eat'em.

Adding a scan of the reading list. I finished my first book and ordered a few more. Be sure to check the "used" prices, you can pick up books for $5 that are perfectly ok. Unless it weirds you out to have a used book. Some of the prices for "new" are very high which I guess is related to how many of it are around in circulation. I don't do those. These are not all directly at women just the first one on the list that I read.

Last edited:
Back