• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

It gets better, right?

Just some venting. I am 2 weeks out and it is hard to see the silver lining right now. I feel bloated, gas pain, weak, tired, cranky, hungry and I am tired of thinking about when to take meds. (I need to take xyz before I eat but abc needs something in my stomach first. Feeling slightly nauseas so I can’t take anything right now. Not sure is bloated is the same as full. Can someone please remind me that this part of the journey is temporary and worth it and that food intake will be pleasant again and not need such major management!

It does get better! I am now 4 months out from my sleeve surgery, and while I find myself eating a lot of the same every day, I do have a little variety. Chicken is also a no for me for me because I have vomited after eating it. But a little bread is ok! I eat high protein yogurt for breakfast, a shake or a banana or lunch and then some dinner (some type of protein and veggies) or sometimes just veggies. I can also eat a bit of pasta without reaction. I know you don't feel good now, but it does get better!

Most meat is composed of stringy textures, designed to be easily torn apart. However, most obese people got that way in large part because they chewed food the most minimal number of times.

I choked on chicken especially because of the stringy meat. Eventually I caught on, cut it in slices, then cubes, and smashed it with a fork to "pre-chew" it. Then I took tiny bites and salivated heavily to soften it and help it slide down. But it can really be a challenge, unless you limit yourself to organ meat, not meat from the muscle.

But eventually I put meat into a blender, added a pinch of powdered gravy mix with water or bouillon until it was like pudding. Same nutritional value, better taste, and it slid right down through my digestive tract. This meant I didn't have to chew it that much.

And this is an old saw, but SO TRUE: put your utensils down beside your plate or bowl as you focus on chewing, up to 30 times if you can. It's freaki hard to do, but it has so many collateral benefits, including allowing you to eat more slowly and taste your food. There's so much more enjoyment than you can imagine. Close your eyes and notice the many elements of the taste of the bite of food. It's heavenly.

And don't be afraid to moosh it up in a blender, or use utensils to shred it and smash it until it's pre-chewed.

For me, the chicken no-no was the fact that it just wouldn't go down unless I added gravy to it and tried to chew it until it was liquid. It was the hardest thing I ever did in my weight loss journey. It was easier after WLS, and eventually, it becomes very natural.

You can literally choke and/or throw up if you don't assist your digestive process by chewing food into soup or thick liquid as you chew. But most of us have that aspect of the eating disorder where we stuff food in, chew it until it can be swallowed, still whole, and it's a habit you MUST break.

Watch "normal" people eating and you'll see this is usually true.

Turkey has the best protein value per ounce, and you can buy it in parts in the frozen food section, bake it and then whirl it in the blender and measure out 3 to 6 ounce packets that can be frozen for easy use.

And don't be ashamed to enjoy eating. When you're obese you may think everyone is watching you eat all the time. This is NOT TRUE. The wit, Ashleigh Brilliant, wrote, "Do not worry about what people think of you. They're probably not thinking of you."

Self-consciousness is a poison we are trained to take from the time we're small children, by family, friends and schoolmates. There are ways to stop this.. The best way I found was to substitute an affirmation for every negative thought. Instead of "I'm fat and ugly" you say "I am healthy and beauty and my body is perfectly proportioned." It's not a lie. It's a dose of truth that builds true consciousness of your value. And make sure while you work on yourself that you give the same positive thoughts to everyone else, even people you dislike. I had to do this with one of my sisters. She thrived on insulting me and I let it hurt me. Eventually, I worked on making her a small opinion, worthy of nothing important.

Mostly work on yourself, remembering that it's perfectly okay to ignore others instead of trying to prove them wrong. Gravitate to people who are working on it, just like you are. Go on a diet from negative thinking. Your joy will soar and you'll have a feeling of love and acceptance for everyone that's equally important to yours.

Read Sondra Ray's book.

Just some venting. I am 2 weeks out and it is hard to see the silver lining right now. I feel bloated, gas pain, weak, tired, cranky, hungry and I am tired of thinking about when to take meds. (I need to take xyz before I eat but abc needs something in my stomach first. Feeling slightly nauseas so I can’t take anything right now. Not sure is bloated is the same as full. Can someone please remind me that this part of the journey is temporary and worth it and that food intake will be pleasant again and not need such major management!
Yes, I felt that way not so long ago. Each stage gets better. Food will most likely taste different. For instance, I feel like I can taste every bit of salt, sugar, or fakeness about a food. I had the sleeve, and almost 6 months later I can eat anything I want, but only a very small amount. I did well tolerating foods, and never had any issues. Six weeks after surgery, I was eating everything - slowly and carefully.

It definitely gets better, hang in there! I had the bypass and was very overwhelmed the first couple months after surgery. I didn’t feel like eating or taking supplements, but it gradually got easier. Chicken was a hard thing at first, and occasionally still is if I’m eating too fast or it’s dry. Follow your plan and you will get there!

I just try to get my protein in every day. It's hard to get over 70 grams per day by eating. I can barely eat any substantial amounts of protein, so I rely on shakes, yogurt and smoothies. I've tried chicken several times and I've never had good results. Even with it in slow cooker and dark meat version.
I've already lost over 100 lbs so I'm not complaining but it's an everyday challenge. I have to retrain my brain due to years of bad habits and poor choices.

Just some venting. I am 2 weeks out and it is hard to see the silver lining right now. I feel bloated, gas pain, weak, tired, cranky, hungry and I am tired of thinking about when to take meds. (I need to take xyz before I eat to but abc needs something in my stomach first. Feeling slightly nauseas so I can’t take anything right now. Not sure is bloated is the same as full. Can someone please remind me that this part of the journey is temporary and worth it and that food intake will be pleasant again and not need such major management!

YES!! It does! I have been a bariatric patient since 2002! I’m down a total of 125 pounds and still have 10 pounds but I’d like to get off and I put on over the years… My first month or so I was ready to say nope! I want this redone! Of course I couldn’t get it redone… but I felt that way! Even today I still can’t believe that I don’t look like what I did then ..Or what I felt like then… I keep pictures of the old me in my wallet and on my vanity so that I can be proud of what I’ve done! Even after 21 years it is so worth it! Yes.. believe me I was where you are now! I thought that bloating would never go away!!! It did and so much more! Keep going!

Sounds like your doctor didn’t lay things out for you that well. Coming out of the hospital they should have given you some meds to help your pain and healing but those go away after 3 weeks . You should be on your regular meds BP , cholesterol etc until you get back on your feet and you see your regular doctor to get a reassessment of your current condition. As far as food breakfast lunch and dinner plus 2 small snacks sugar free jello or pudding. Meals are mostly liquid decaf coffee and tea with stevia, sugar free oat milk and some kind is soup with soft vegetables and meat or noodles and your 30 gram protein shake

I’ve seen a few people mention smoothies and this gets me hopeful. I’m not a big fan of the protein shakes and am wondering if I can achieve the same aim with smoothies made from nonfat Greek yogurt with added protein powder, sugar-free non-nutritive sweetener and maybe some leafy greens thrown in. Does anybody have a recipe or source for something like this? (I’ve asked my nutritionist but she just tells me to drink protein shakes and says she doesn’t have a recipe.) Thanks!

I was actually allergic to some of the ingredients in the pre made protein drinks. Under the advisement of my dietician this is what I drank during week 1,2,3 after surgery. Unflavored protein powder, plain yogurt, milk, about an inch of a banana or 1 or 2 strawberries and cooking extract (ex. Strawberry, coconut, vanilla, maple). Blend well. I hope this helps.

Back