• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

It gets better, right?

May I suggest adding in some protein water? It can take some of the pressure off food. Solid foods are super difficult in the beginning. Also, ground turkey is probably the easiest meat to keep down. I lived on slow cooked ground turkey chili in the early days. Beans and turkey for the protein win. And its saucy so it goes down easy.
But everyone is different. My husband had the sleeve and chili gives him heartburn.
But,something to try maybe.

Smoothie king has great Smoothies, you can make your own as well. I think everyone is different as to what they enjoy or tolerate. I just wouldn't start it with anything that had sugar in first 3 ingredients

Unflavored protein powder, plain yogurt, milk, about an inch of a banana or 1 or 2 strawberries and cooking extract (ex. Strawberry, coconut, vanilla, maple). Blend well.
That's what I did, only I used a whole banana and Trader Joe's protein powder along with Magic Milk. It was something like 30 grams of protein, so I got my boost early in the day (but it took me more than an hour to consume it) and was able to be very careful with the remainder of my foods.

Also, ground turkey is probably the easiest meat to keep down.

Turkey is also the highest source of protein of any meat or cheese or dairy.

I had a favorite way to eat turkey. I mixed it in a blender with a few shakes of dry turkey gravy mix, Magic Milk, and cranberry sauce. This made a sort of thick goop that I could eat on a lettuce leaf or add to a savory drink or soup.

I’ve seen a few people mention smoothies and this gets me hopeful. I’m not a big fan of the protein shakes and am wondering if I can achieve the same aim with smoothies made from nonfat Greek yogurt with added protein powder, sugar-free non-nutritive sweetener and maybe some leafy greens thrown in. Does anybody have a recipe or source for something like this? (I’ve asked my nutritionist but she just tells me to drink protein shakes and says she doesn’t have a recipe.) Thanks!

I am going to say yes, you can make your own shakes. Why not? Greek yogurt or Fairlife skim milk, sugar free sweetner, certain fruits should be ok.

My favorite smoothie now is nothing more than frozen strawberries, milk, one packet of truvia, and maybe a spash of juice if it's too milky, or needs more liquid. I can add any other fruit also. I found a lot of protien supplements to be too thick, but the fairlife is not.

I'm dissappointed in your nutritionalist, as well as many others that I have encountered. The are taught one way, and cannot think outside of the box. My nutritionist told me not to make my own shakes with strawberries because they have fiber - but then said to eat all the refied beans I want. I said, "Isn't that too much fiber?" I mean, there is a lot of fiber in those beans that can cause bloating, but that is ok? Sorry, nutritionist, you don't make sense.

Last edited:
Just some venting. I am 2 weeks out and it is hard to see the silver lining right now. I feel bloated, gas pain, weak, tired, cranky, hungry and I am tired of thinking about when to take meds. (I need to take xyz before I eat but abc needs something in my stomach first. Feeling slightly nauseas so I can’t take anything right now. Not sure is bloated is the same as full. Can someone please remind me that this part of the journey is temporary and worth it and that food intake will be pleasant again and not need such major management!
I have a lot of gas and some diarrhea but I know that this eventually gets better I have 5 family member and a friend that have all been through this. 2 of them have gained their weight back because they went back to eating the way they used to eat. It is worth it and it will get better. Hang in there.

Back