• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Itchy and swollen

shadeau

I am curious if anyone else experienced this. I am 9 days post-op now, I have been home from the hospital since day 5. I have been experiencing this insane itching all over my abdomen where the surgery took place. Not necessarily the incision sites, more like around them and under the flabby skin around my waist. Some of it is red but some of it just itches. It is all driving me insane. Thank goodness I do not maintain long fingernails, I would be a bloody mess. I have tried taking Benadry, I have used Gold Bond triple action relief lotion. However nothing provides relief. I think it is worse when I am trying to sleep.

I have contacted the doctor’s office and they basically said to do what I have been doing and to try Benadryl cream. My first follow-up appointment with my surgeon is the 28th. I hope I still have skin on my body by then. It almost feels like I am allergic to something. But I do not understand why it would have waited to reveal this to me.

Also, I am so swollen still. I am amazed how many people are able to track their weight immediately following surgery. I feel as though I am still full of gas, just without any pain. I do not think I will fit any of my pants come Christmas Eve when we have to go visit friends. And it is all bloating and swollen. Ugh!
I have no one to refer to about any of this. So I am more letting this out than anything.

I know what you mean about the swollen and bloated. I still feel gas without pain. I burp and fart a lot. My abdomen does itch around my incision sites. But not quite as bad. More annoying than anything else. I hope you feel better soon.

I was very itchy also, and doc recommended benedryl and claritan, and itch relief cream. It helped, and itching subsided a few days later. I was told it could be from the glue they put on the incisions which can take 3 weeks to flake off.

Back