• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

"It's A God Thing"

I have been waiting for this time in my life where things start coming together for this journey in life. I have fought my weight all my life with diets, gastric stapling, high protein diets, shots, et...If it was out there I tried it. I was successful for a short period of time with the liquid protein diet. I lost 150 lbs in 7 months, but found myself angry at the way I was being treated. My outside changed, but my inside was still the same. I was not prepared for the emotional aspect of losing so much weight in such a short time. I ended up gaining it all back plus more. Now at 463 lbs I can barely move, have diabetes, and a form of Muscular Dystrophy called Chartues Marie Tooth disease. It affects the nerves in your feet and moves up your legs. It is like walking on marbles... very painful. Add the weight to that and mobility becomes a huge problem. I went to my surgeon a year ago and it was only in March 2013 that Medicare stated they would pay for the "sleeve". I returned in July and am scheduled for surgery on August 28th. I have to go on liquids from the 25th until surgery. I quit smoking about 10 years ago. That was a God Thing also as I woke up one morning and felt like I was smoking for the first time. Never craved or wanted another cigarette. I knew that God would take care of the weight when it was time. I started swimming after I quit smoking and still swim 4 hours a week. I love the water. I will complete my PhD in a year and have a great job waiting for me. When the time is right God brings it all together. I hope to find support before and after and help others on their journey. I feel I am prepared and as a LPC mental health therapist I have found my own counselor to help guide me through my own maze of emotionsI. I look forward to meeting other group members. Thank you!!!:)

Hi Diva,

It truly is an emotional trip, especially when we lose weight quicker than our minds can comprehend. It will take a while for our minds to catch up with our bodies, and at the point we'll be in sync with our total being. Prayer, meditation, and peace within ourselves gives us the necessary mental tools we need in order to move onward and upward on this weight-loss journey. You are well on your way with the self-awareness you've acquired to conquer this disease once and for all. We are powerless at times unless we seek out our higher power to give us the strength and courage to stay on the straight and narrow path of this journey. You will succeed this time and will come out a winner!

Welcome to this site, there's so many wonderful people here, who are very kind, loving, and supportive!

Linney

Welcome to the forum. So many of us have been where you are with a life time of yo-yo dieting. This has been a very different experience for me. I did not lose quickly which I am actually grateful for. It gave me the chance to really change my behaviors and the emotions that fueled them. I had done this before in rehab, but this time was different, because I was looking at this from the point of health. I did not want to be old and have to depend on someone due to my behavior. I don't mean to say that we don't all need help at times and that illness of some kind can strike at anytime and I we might need help. I just need to know that I am doing my part to try and live a healthier life both physically and emotionally. Will be thinking of you as your surgery approaches and wishing you a speedy recovery. Let us know how you are doing.

Back