• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

It's hard to imagine

Chancelet

It's two days after my surgery (10/29), and it's hard to imagine eating liquids and soft foods for two weeks. I knew it would be hard, but going through it, and imagining how long I have to go through it, is a bit of a struggle. I've been eating broth (sometimes with soft-poached egg), greek yogurt and Malto Meal. Been sticking with 2 ounces per meal. I've got protein powder that I'll need to start using in a shake again.

Any of you have any mental tricks up your sleeve to stop thinking about how long you've had to go on the liquid diet and to stop thinking about real food?

The basic thing I kept telling myself was that food caused me to be big enough to have surgery ... which means I ate a lot up to that date ... so I could do 2 weeks of liquid. It isn't that bad. It will go by quicker than you think!!

You have to give your sleeve time to heal, so you should stick to the liquids they told you you could have. I could NOT have poached eggs, greek yogurt, or Malto meal on my liquid diet. Check with your dietician. You don't want to tear your stomach.
2 weeks is such a minute fraction of your life, you can do anything for 2 weeks!
I did it (actually 4 weeks of liquids) by considering it a "job"-- something necessary that I had to do every day.

Thanks for your inputs and encouragements. I did ask a couple of times about greek yogurt (I get the plain) and they said it was fine. On my third day at the hospital they gave me pudding. I will still double check on Monday. I'll leave out the eggs until later, as they can quickly get too hard.

Try an unflavored protein powder that you can mix into the yogurt and your broths. Its mainly mind over matter.

I'm new to all this, but can't she drink as much as she wants? I'm having the sleeve and my Nut wants a clear liquids while in the hospital, then protein based liquids for 2weeks, puréed weeks 3&4, then soft chopped for 2 weeks, then by week 7 I can start introducing regular food one at a time. We had to calculate how much time it would take to sip our liquid anything and sip our protein something and to follow the rules of 1oz over a 15 minute period of time. Well it came to a whopping 15 & 1/2 hours to get in everything required including the vitamins and meds. How is anyone able to do this?

yeah but that's part of the problem you can drink as much as you want but you have to remember the protein which helps to keep your full but after awhile you are wanting the chewing feeling.

I'm new to all this, but can't she drink as much as she wants? I'm having the sleeve and my Nut wants a clear liquids while in the hospital, then protein based liquids for 2weeks, puréed weeks 3&4, then soft chopped for 2 weeks, then by week 7 I can start introducing regular food one at a time. We had to calculate how much time it would take to sip our liquid anything and sip our protein something and to follow the rules of 1oz over a 15 minute period of time. Well it came to a whopping 15 & 1/2 hours to get in everything required including the vitamins and meds. How is anyone able to do this?
In the beginning it's about all you can do in one day, but it gets easier. When you go home from the hospital it's more important to get your 64 oz of fluids in than to space it out. I think they are just trying to slow you down by saying 1oz in 15 minutes.

Back