• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

JoAnne

Hi, JoAnne. I just tried to start a thread to get meal ideas. I like to cook and do it pretty much every day but I'm getting a little tired of my same old go to's. So, I'm mixing it up a little this week. (fingers crossed.) For dinner I made, or am planning to make Turkey Chili, Shepherds Pie, Gumbo, Salisbury Steak with Cauliflower Rice, Chicken Tostadas, Broccoli Chicken Divan and Pepper Steak.

I'm primarily plant based, with some meat and eggs here and there and I supplement protein if needed, but that is rare.

Some of my recent meals after being able to eat "regular" food:
  • Vegetarian Chili
  • Mexican flavor inspired polenta & bean Bake
  • Meatloaf, cauliflower mash, brussels sprouts
  • Black Bean Spaghetti, marinara and meatballs
  • Spaghetti squash and bolognese
  • Impossible Burger on a Keto Bun w/sweet potato fries
  • Non-Dairy New England Clam Chowder
  • Non-Dairy Creamy Vegetable Stew
  • Black Bean Soup
  • Asparagus & Cheese Quiche
  • Tuscan Chickpea Stew

I eat lean quisine, smart ones, healthy choice meals. Super convienant and guaranteed low calories. I probably have (between taking to work for lunch) 3-6 per week.

I steer away from anyting with bread (pizzas) or breaded meat options (like sesame chicken, chicken parm, etc) cause the breading tends to be soggy or chewy.

All of the pastas are great IMO.

We tried a bunch of the new bowls varieties but I dont care for any of them and the portion size is actually too large for me, and certainly they aren't worth saving for leftovers.

We also pick up a rotisserie chicken a LOT, which is just dynomite. Add some veggies, green beans is my fav then spinach then peas then carrots lastly corn or asparagus. Got 45 minutes? roast broccoli or cauliflour. Even Mashed potatos. Mac & Cheese. Or if you are feeling light make some chicken wraps, chicken sandwitch or make up some chicken salad for sandwitches...or even just add on top of a salad for ultra light meal.

Our Kroger grocery store also has roasted turkey breasts often, which are a nice change up from chicken and are simply amazing.

I make pasta once or twice every month using Fiber Gourmet noodles which is 50% calories and tons of added fiber. Makes noodles 90% as good as regular and results in some really low calorie options. Add marinara, or some meat sauce, or go full on garden vegetable whatever your mood dictates. Sometimes I get a seafood craving and make a scampi with just butter, garlic and a pound of shrimp and some penne noodles.

Jo Ann, what stage of eating are you at? Are you pre-op or post-op? Are there any particular food ingredients you are allergic to or just don't like?
Hello sorry for the later replay, I'm around 9 days before my surgery and for the past 2 weeks all I've been eating is bake fish, salmon fillet and grilled chicken breast with a salad or mixed vegetables. I guess I will continue this way of eating because it's helping me loose the pre-OP weight that I need to loose but still got 6 pounds to if God wills.

Oh, you are still pre-op. It sounds like you are doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing and all I would say to you is don't sweat it. If you don't make your exact number on day of surgery, I don't think your doctor is going to be sending you home. But you are getting a head start on what you need to do after surgery. Based on what you have written, I think you're in for a pleasant surprise and a long-term success. Best of luck to you!

Back