• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just being real

3momchaos

Totally putting it all out there with this one. Does anyone else have massive gas issues with all the protein consumption? I find mine is worse after a certain protein shake, the ALDI one, but not usually the premier protein. Has anyone found relief to this super uncomfortable issue? I realize it’s a normal bodily function, but it definitely can be annoying! I think the new protein cereal might also be an added culprit. There’s pea protein and wheat protein isolate which, to my knowledge, I haven’t had, but since it has 3 type of protein in it, I wonder if that’s a bit much for my digestive tract. I do use a probiotic, so at least I’ve got that going for me.

Protein itself usually isn't the culprit. It's often the additives or the protein source. In whey protein it's often the lactose and thickeners as well as some sweeteners (especially sugar alcohols).

With plant protein it can be the fibers associated with the pea, bean, grain as well as the aforementioned additives and sweeteners.

Whey protein isolate usually has less lactose, which may make it more easily digestible.

Regardless of whey or plant-based, look through the ingredients and consider switching to something different if that particular brand is not digesting well, especially if it contains sugar alcohols.

Ginger or peppermint tea has been shown to help soothe the gut and reduce excess gas and bloating.

You may want to avoid eating other gas-inducing foods in combination with the shakes to see if that helps, and of course, eat slowly.

Enzyme supplements help some people.

This thread really illustrates the fact that response is unique to the individual. I believe there are certainly levels of success relating to starting weight, length of time spent obese, damage to organs from obesity, body fat percentage, and a million other things.

Back