• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just had a revision from Sleeve to Bypass and have questions.

I just had a sleeve revision to gastric bypass on 8/10/20. I am up more than twice an hour walking (even when I was in the hospital) and the gas pains are still going strong. Also I haven't been able to have a bowl movement since late Sunday night. I'm assuming this is normal since I've been on some major pain killers. I am taking a stimulant laxative (which does nothing) but does anyone recommend anything else? I'm still at about 4 to 6oz of clear liquids an hour but its so difficult. I will say that I am SOOO happy I got this done despite everything I had to go through pre and now post of and the pain of course. I had severe Gerd from my previous sleeve surgery and I literally couldn't eat anything without it coming up or getting the worst acid. So far NO acid reflux that it makes me cry from happiness daily. Sorry if this is TMI but I figured that's what this site is all about. Hope everyone is doing well and I would love to connect with anyone else who has had a revision or anyone who wants to chat!

Ps. My surgeon is fantastic and he even gave me his personal phone number so I can reach out to him at anytime but I just wanted to see what my fellow community has to say because clearly he has never experienced this operation.

Last edited:
When you are sitting, put a heating pad high across your shoulders. The surgery gas escapes by working its way up to your shoulders and out of the body. A heating pad will help with that. They did that for me at the hospital and I did it at home and it really seemed to work well, and of course, walking, walking, walking.
Thank you for that tip....I've just been using the heating pad on my tummy but I'm going to try my shoulders now! :)

I just had a sleeve revision to gastric bypass on 8/10/20. I am up more than twice an hour walking (even when I was in the hospital) and the gas pains are still going strong. Also I haven't been able to have a bowl movement since late Sunday night. I'm assuming this is normal since I've been on some major pain killers. I am taking a stimulant laxative (which does nothing) but does anyone recommend anything else? I'm still at about 4 to 6oz of clear liquids an hour but its so difficult. I will say that I am SOOO happy I got this done despite everything I had to go through pre and now post of and the pain of course. I had severe Gurd from my previous sleeve surgery and I literally couldn't eat anything without it coming up or getting the worst acid. So far NO acid reflux that it makes me cry from happiness daily. Sorry if this is TMI but I figured that's what this site is all about. Hope everyone is doing well and I would love to connect with anyone else who has had a revision or anyone who wants to chat!

Ps. My surgeon is fantastic and he even gave me his personal phone number so I can reach out to him at anytime but I just wanted to see what my fellow community has to say because clearly he has never experienced this operation.
I had my revision a year ago this month. You are only a few days out, so I am not surprised that the gas pain is still there. I'd expect about 5 to 7 days before it really is gone. I was 21 days out before I was able to go. After about a week I took Milk of Magnesia daily. Each day is going to get better. I was the same - zero GERD following my revision. NONE!!! And here I am, a year later, and STILL no reflux! You will realize how bad the GERD made you feel after being free of it for so long.

Im 10 day out. Had a lot of constipation. My doctor and care team instructed me to take Milk of Magnesia. I did that every couple of days. Water and MofM will really help with the constipation. I also on my own tried some Sienna too which helped. It's taken this long to feel a little relieved. Glad the Gerd is under control.

Make sure you get that bowel movement in as soon as you can. Post bariatric surgery stool is extremely hard in texture and because you lack water and vegetables, you don't have what you need for an easy Passage. I am one of the people here who could tell you a Horror Story about constipation after surgery. I personally recommend a fiber laxative. And definitely don't take that Senna. It's not designed for long-term use, but I also received a bottle of that after my RYGB surgery.

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and for sharing stories....Thankful today was the day. I took a Trulance I had been prescribed by my PCP and mixing Miralax with my protein water did the trick! I have heard the horror stores of people having to have additional surgery due to constipation and I didn't want that to be me!

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and for sharing stories....Thankful today was the day. I took a Trulance I had been prescribed by my PCP and mixing Miralax with my protein water did the trick! I have heard the horror stores of people having to have additional surgery due to constipation and I didn't want that to be me!
Um, I didn't really want to bring this up, but they do make glycerin suppositories just for this reason. o_O

That's okay Lisa, you can be pretty sure that people have already heard about them. I used them and they did not work. The stool was determined to stay where it was and was happy to push the glycerin suppository back out before it had even finished melting. Have you ever seen a python after it devoured a Mongoose whole but had not digested it? That's what post-op constipation can look like. I know, TMI.

Back