• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just had the surgery a month ago.

rhipsher

My name is Ricky and my wifes name is Vickie. We both had the gastric sleeve done. Most people think sleeve and think it means lap band or something else. And I say nope! They cut a 16" to 18" chunk of my stomach out. I saw the pictures of it. My wife is an RN and had it done 6 months ago and has lost over 70lbs. She was 230 before surgery. I'm a month out and have dropped 34lbs so far. I'm 6' tall and was 294lbs before surgery and my BMI was 39% so I just barely qualified for it. My wife had difficulties after surgery. Got pancreatitis 3 days later and had to go back in to the hospital. She had a hard time eating anything for the first two weeks. But she's doing great now. I was different however. I was able to eat immediatly after getting home. Or I should say drink my food. I'm up to soft solids now. I don't eat allot but I eat often. I snack all day long probably every 1 1/2 hours. This surgery basically forces you to eat the way your supposed to eat anyway. I don't get those hunger pains like I used to. I do feel a little hungry but just slightly whan it's time for me to eat.
My wife and I are still learning what food goes down easy and what doesn't. The other night we at the grocery store bought a 1.55lb of sockeye salmon fillet. Made steamed rice with sauted mushrooms and a cream sauce. Plenty for the whole family and can take some to work the next day right? But as wonderful as it tasted and as little as my wife and I ate 20 min later we were sitting on the couch and both looked at eachother and said that rice is not going down very good. It's not a good feeling when it gets stuck in your throat and you've got to visit the ole gage reflex to disloge it. Hahaha! But it is instant relief. It's a learning experiance and I've just begun. But we both feel that it was one of the best things we could have done for ourselves.

great story! congrats on your success! i had the RNY just 3 weeks ago and have regretted it most every day. I'm struggling in just about every way possible - gastritis, vomiting, not getting enough nutrition, etc. i cry nearly each day. with the love and support of my amazing husband i take one day at a time. i wish the best for you and your wife!

Congratulations! I just had Gastric bypass Lap-done via DaVinci on Monday 12/17/12 and was discharged from the hospital that Friday. Still on liquids.
I go for my first post-op visit with my surgeon on Jan 3rd at which time they will up my diet. I could pretty much mug for Fat Free Refried Beans right now! I had my surgery in the same hospital that I work at and was on the unit that is right next door to the unit I work on-so, I did my walking on both units so I could visit my teammates.

Carol

YOU are supposed to be on pureed foods not sockeye salmon and rice. What were you thinking? Stick to the pureed foods I would say. I am having a huge problem getting in much at all 4 weeks post op this Monday. I cannot tolerate the protein drinks, now yogurt was hard to get down and only half the small container got eaten. Later I was able to eat two thin slices of Jarlsberg cheese and then for dinner had Wendy's Chili, small bowl which is the most I have ever eaten. I am supposed to get 60-80 grams of Protein and only get about 15 a day if that. Also, drinking fluids makes me full feeling and not doing it when eating, waiting the requisite time between eating and drinking but hard to get a bottle of water down with Crystal Light in it which I like. I am waiting for my pouch to heal and not feel sick with small( 1-2 oz) of anything going in it. The yogurt today was 2.5 oz. I am not losing much weight but because no proteins so body goes on survival I guess. I do not regret the surgery but never realized how difficult this would be for me and am waiting for the day I am not feeling nauseated every day.

Sandie,
In defense for Ricky and his wife, not all people will be on pureed foods at 1 month out. That is only if you can't do soft foods. It is a learning process! Next time maybe they will omit the rice which didn't work this time but may work next time. I hope you can start to feel better soon! I hope we all are loosers in the new year!

Welcome aboard! You've found a great place to come for advice, support, to vent, and to share what you're learning. It sounds like you two are doing well. Keep up the good work and come back here often to let us know how things are going for you.

Me2012 I was responding to hs statement saying "I am on soft solids" and then went on to say he ate rice. Rice is far from soft solid. That is all I was saying, if on soft solids, should not be having rice or salad, apples etc. That is all. NO offense meant at all.

When I pack my lunch for a 10-12 hour work day I'll take some deli slices of honey roasted turkey breast lunch meat. I also found some one cup serving size cans of baked beans that I enjoy. I'll eat half at lunch and half later. I also bring sharp cheddar cheese, yogart and some jello. Those foods go down easily for me. Most of the off the shelf protien shakes are gross tasting but I mix orange juice or grape juice in them for a much better flavor. These foods may not work for everybody but they do for me.

I found that when our stomachs become new again, we have to treat it like a new born stomach. From what our stomachs once were and what they are now, is a big difference. We need to first heal, and take the time and have the patience to heal. In time and only in time (six to eight months out) you can introduce foods that may be hard to tolerate in the initial stages of eating solid foods. Some may take up to one year to fully tolerate. It's a learning process, and what you may not be able to tolerate today, you'll tolerate down the road. Try not to distrupt what's new inside of you and listen carefullly to the cues from your body, and not your mind if you're hungry, how much does it take to fill me up, etc. Take it steady and slow and as each day, each week, and each month passes by, your body will adapt to the changes and accept the new eating patterns and types of foods you're eating with ease. It's one day at a time, and in the moment of the day, remain mindful of your choices, your body cues, and also the outcome of the day.

Stay focused, move forward, and remain on the positive mindset in order to enjoy and learn from the journey!

I was off work for two weeks recovering. I was more than ready to get back to work but on my last day I woke up at 3:40am with my lower right side killing me. I got up to go to the bathroom and could not urinate. I knew I had a kidney stone. And for those who have had them you know the pain I'm talking about. I don't care how big and tough you are it will send you to your knees crying. So back into ER I went. But thats the breaks life throws you sometimes. Hahaha. Passed it that night and went to work the next day.
But you are right Linney. Everybody's different. I'm in that awkward stage where my fat boy clothes don't fit anymore so I just decided I'm going to keep tightening my belt and wearing them until they look ridiculous before I buy any new clothes because I just don't know where the weight loss is going to stop and level off.

Hi I am a sleever as well. As with anything else we can tolerate different foods at different times. I am almost 7 months out and have not had any rice, pasta or bread. It was explained to me in the beginning that my new stomach needed to heal and that is why the restrictions on foods. I was told by my nutritionist that I could not have chicken or beef for 2-3 months. Fish is tolerated very well. Beef is still an issue. It is still hard to digest. Wishing you both good health.

If your clothing has become too big, I would suggest doing a clothes swap with people who are currently smaller than you and want to get rid of their clothing. I was fortunate enough to have co workers, who were losing weight and gave me some XL and Large clothing, then I gave them in return the clothing I couldn't fit into anymore. I would buy one or two pairs of slacks and shirts only on sale so I felt comfortable in my clothing. Now that I'm at goal, I can pick an outfit right off the rack and wear it without having to try them on! I went from a 4X to a Size 4! Love it and want to stay at this place forever! Stay on track, keep moving forward and enjoy the ride! Happy New Year!:eek:

I was 289lbs one time before and with hard core diet and excercize went down to 187lbs in one year. 12% body fat. Not even I could believe what I had achieved. So luckily I have a whole closet full of clothes that fit me at that weight. Tons of Polo shirts & slacks 501 blue jeans ect. So at least I wont have to buy a whole new wardrobe. I look at this surgery like it's a tool to aid me. Not a fix for bad eating habits. Because you can still eat garbage food on it and totally defeat it's whole purpose or slow your progress down. And diet and excercize is the icing on the cake with maximum benefit. I'll never be able to eat 4000 calories a day again and build big muscles since this surgery. But thats ok. I'm just fine with a runners build.

Back