• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just scheduled 2/15/21

May I ask..... what were the requirements to be ok'd for the surgery. I am on Medicare. JW
I started with veterans affairs. I had to be in Move program for a year. Then I was referred to university of Iowa health clinic digestive clinic. I was required to continue losing weight while working with a dietician. After that I met with psychologist. I had two procedures for possible complications esophageal for acid reflux and upper gi for hernia or scar tissue. Then met with the digestive team dietician physician assistant coordinator of the program and surgeon. Same day I had EKG, X-ray and talk with anesthesia. It has been a journey. My Medicare starts March 1 I don’t know how that fits in since I have VA benefits. Overall I lost 21 pounds since July 2020.

I started with veterans affairs. I had to be in Move program for a year. Then I was referred to university of Iowa health clinic digestive clinic. I was required to continue losing weight while working with a dietician. After that I met with psychologist. I had two procedures for possible complications esophageal for acid reflux and upper gi for hernia or scar tissue. Then met with the digestive team dietician physician assistant coordinator of the program and surgeon. Same day I had EKG, X-ray and talk with anesthesia. It has been a journey. My Medicare starts March 1 I don’t know how that fits in since I have VA benefits. Overall I lost 21 pounds since July 2020.
Fabulous that your own your way. Unless I missed it, how much time did it take from your first step to surgical date? One year ? More?

Getting ready for the big day Monday. Pulling stuff together today making list have to remember spare underwear ( had to use my spare granny pan tie from the car, which reminds me, got to restock the car) and spare socks. So far have going home outfit, my personal towels ( beach towels big enough to go around), personal supplies toothbrush stuff ( still need to get soaps and shampoo stuff) , nightgown for hotel (after covid before hospital), getting meds in place for quick packing ( been keeping them in gallon freezer bags. Am and pm ), and having cpap machine in place ready to pack. Oh yeah making food to take for Sunday. Maybe take blender or small food processor. Covid test sunday hotel clean up self with ordered soap Then clean up again Monday and off to surgery. Did I forget anything?

Getting ready for the big day Monday. Pulling stuff together today making list have to remember spare underwear ( had to use my spare granny pan tie from the car, which reminds me, got to restock the car) and spare socks. So far have going home outfit, my personal towels ( beach towels big enough to go around), personal supplies toothbrush stuff ( still need to get soaps and shampoo stuff) , nightgown for hotel (after covid before hospital), getting meds in place for quick packing ( been keeping them in gallon freezer bags. Am and pm ), and having cpap machine in place ready to pack. Oh yeah making food to take for Sunday. Maybe take blender or small food processor. Covid test sunday hotel clean up self with ordered soap Then clean up again Monday and off to surgery. Did I forget anything?
cell phone charger?? I also bring an extension cord so I am not inconvenienced by lack of distance

They may not let you bring your CPAP. they want you to wear their masks & access their oxygen.

They also might not let you take any meds or supplements not provided by the hospital.

This happened to me and at least 2 other group members. You should ask the hospital first. But im pretty sure all hospitals want you only to consume what they provide, for insurance purposes.

Back in June when I had the surgery they made me bring my cpap since the pressure is set by the sleep apnea doctor. I wonder if they are now asking patients to not bring it. I have heard that it is very common that you have to bring your cpap with you if you have one.

I had my surgery in June as well and was told not to bring it because of Covid, so always best to check with your hospital first.

Back