• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just scheduled 2/15/21

I couldn’t bring my CPAP. Had to use one supplied by the hospital. I also was told not to bring any meds - that the hospital would dispense whatever I needed, even current meds I was on.
The only things I needed from my overnight bag was toothbrush/toothpaste, phone charger and my clothes to go home in. I ended up packing way too much!
Good luck tomorrow!! You’re almost on the other side!

Back in June when I had the surgery they made me bring my cpap since the pressure is set by the sleep apnea doctor. I wonder if they are now asking patients to not bring it. I have heard that it is very common that you have to bring your cpap with you if you have one.
That makes sense, though your settings should be available in your charts.

It was 14 years ago they wouldn't let me use mine.

Literally, your sleep setting changes the minute surgery is complete, if your OSA is related to weight.

I dont even use mine anymore.

Back in June when I had the surgery they made me bring my cpap since the pressure is set by the sleep apnea doctor. I wonder if they are now asking patients to not bring it. I have heard that it is very common that you have to bring your cpap with you if you have one.
Yes have to bring mine
cell phone charger?? I also bring an extension cord so I am not inconvenienced by lack of distance
ipad charger, cell phone charger extra outlet plug got it.
I couldn’t bring my CPAP. Had to use one supplied by the hospital. I also was told not to bring any meds - that the hospital would dispense whatever I needed, even current meds I was on.
The only things I needed from my overnight bag was toothbrush/toothpaste, phone charger and my clothes to go home in. I ended up packing way too much!
Good luck tomorrow!! You’re almost on the other side!
Left the house not finding my keys, was in the bag with my paperwork. Amazing how sometimes things work out. brought probably too much myself including my mini food processor to make my food today at hotel. Plus my meds. And clothes for arrival to hospital and nitey for after shower tonight.

Made it through surgery. Day of surgery was rough due to acid reflux. Doing better today. Had visit from dietician, the surgeon and the va doctor for weight loss surgery. Still consulting with pharmacist he called twice and might be stopping by in a bit. I have been up and walking and drinking water. The catheter was weird. Body kept telling me to go to bathroom but the catheter was in the way. Possibly going home today. No meds for a week is what they are saying but I think that will be changed

Congrats, Roni. Other members have mentioned no meds for a week. That happened to me, too. Its possible you get some kind of booster or bolus IV dose before you go home, but also, all meds have a half life, so you should be fine.

They have approved my antibiotic and duloxitine and my blood pressure med losartin. I have serious issues with the automated blood pressure machines my blood pressure comes out too high. I keep telling them that but they keep insisting to use those things. Right before surgery I crashed two machines til they use a hand held it came in higher than normal but that is what happens when you cut off circulation too many times.

That makes sense, though your settings should be available in your charts.

It was 14 years ago they wouldn't let me use mine.

Literally, your sleep setting changes the minute surgery is complete, if your OSA is related to weight.

I dont even use mine anymore.
Unfortunately, my sleep apnea doctor is part of a different healthcare system and they don't share information between the two so my settings are not available on my regular medical record. You are spot on about not needing it anymore. I think the last time I used the CPAP on a regular basis was for the first 30 days after surgery. I have not turned it on now in over 6 months.

The reason is the guide book they gave at beginning said clear liquid diet for after surgery. Paperwork on discharge said full liquid diet. So I got confused. Dietion called Friday at 4 we discussed and i am not in trouble for full liquid diet. I am on the right track

Back