• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just starting the process for Gastric Bypass!

DianaS

I have my first nutritionist appointment next week and then the psychiatrist next month. I am actually feeling pretty good about having so much time to prepare for such a major life change.

I have been overweight since my early 20s. I started a serious medically monitored weight loss program a few years ago and I was doing really well for 4 weeks until I started having severe stomach pains and vomiting.

Long story short: Many tests and months later they determined that I had Gastroparesis (delayed emptying of the stomach). It is an incurable condition that is exacerbated by eating a lot of fiber (i.e. vegetables). It can be managed by medication, but I would still get flare ups. I was SO frustrated. I thought I had finally found something that would work for me and my body punished me for eating healthy. I fell into a spiral of depression, gave up and checked out of the weight loss game.

As I watched my weight go up, I asked my Dr if he thought I would be a candidate for bariatric surgery and he referred me to an awesome surgeon. I met with her last week and we are getting the ball rolling. Lap Band and Sleeve are not options as they could be complicated by my Gastroparesis, but the bypass takes it out of the equation!!!!!! :)

My daughter is almost three and I want us to be a healthy family. My husband is super supportive and I am ready to embark on this journey.

I know that it will not be easy, but I am committed!

I am excited to be part of this group and I would love to hear your experiences and thoughts on this whole process.

DianaS,

Welcome to the forum! We all have to start soemwhere. My surgery date is scheduled for September 8th. Support is important and I have gotten some good advice from folks around this forum.

I balked against the surgery for so long, thinking that if I had the surgery I still had to do the things I need to do fi I didn't have the surgery so why go throguh that when I can do it on my own. What I finally accepted was that I can't do it on my own and I need a tool that will help me succeed. Once I made the decision to go for it, I did all of my research and I have gone forward full steam ahead.

I am nervous of course and that is to be expected. But I am committed to succeeding. I have no frame of reference for being smaller than a size 16/18. I have chubby, chunky, and fat all of my life. The smallest I ever really remember being is 175 pounds and now I want to get smaller than that. I'm so looking forward to this journey and these guys have shared some of their success tips that I am sure will help me along my journey.

Contact me if you need support offline. Hang in there. We are so worth it.
Pat:eek:

Thanks Patay37!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date, I hope everything goes really well for you.

I am so glad that I found this forum as I know I will need the support in the coming months.

I have my first nutritionist appointment next week and then the psychiatrist next month. I am actually feeling pretty good about having so much time to prepare for such a major life change.

I have been overweight since my early 20s. I started a serious medically monitored weight loss program a few years ago and I was doing really well for 4 weeks until I started having severe stomach pains and vomiting.

Long story short: Many tests and months later they determined that I had Gastroparesis (delayed emptying of the stomach). It is an incurable condition that is exacerbated by eating a lot of fiber (i.e. vegetables). It can be managed by medication, but I would still get flare ups. I was SO frustrated. I thought I had finally found something that would work for me and my body punished me for eating healthy. I fell into a spiral of depression, gave up and checked out of the weight loss game.

As I watched my weight go up, I asked my Dr if he thought I would be a candidate for bariatric surgery and he referred me to an awesome surgeon. I met with her last week and we are getting the ball rolling. Lap Band and Sleeve are not options as they could be complicated by my Gastroparesis, but the bypass takes it out of the equation!!!!!! :)

My daughter is almost three and I want us to be a healthy family. My husband is super supportive and I am ready to embark on this journey.

I know that it will not be easy, but I am committed!

I am excited to be part of this group and I would love to hear your experiences and
thoughts on this whole process.

WELCOME to the forum Diana!!! I had the bypass just a little over a year ago. It changed my life!!! I still have a way to go on my weight loss journey but I already feel like a normal, regular person.

Good luck to you! You made a great decision!!!

Cheyenne. :cool:

DianaS,

Welcome to the forum! We all have to start soemwhere. My surgery date is scheduled for September 8th. Support is important and I have gotten some good advice from folks around this forum.

I balked against the surgery for so long, thinking that if I had the surgery I still had to do the things I need to do fi I didn't have the surgery so why go throguh that when I can do it on my own. What I finally accepted was that I can't do it on my own and I need a tool that will help me succeed. Once I made the decision to go for it, I did all of my research and I have gone forward full steam ahead.

I am nervous of course and that is to be expected. But I am committed to succeeding. I have no frame of reference for being smaller than a size 16/18. I have chubby, chunky, and fat all of my life. The smallest I ever really remember being is 175 pounds and now I want to get smaller than that. I'm so looking forward to this journey and these guys have shared some of their success tips that I am sure will help me along my journey.

Contact me if you need support offline. Hang in there. We are so worth it.
Pat:eek:

My surgery is tomorrow monday july 28, I am a bit nervous but I know I am doing the right thing, I have been over weight my whole life since I was 11yrs old, it is time I do something about it, I love the support from others on here, and would like to be a support to others. Wish me luck I am nervous as heck!

Had my surgery Dec. 13, 2014 at 238 it is now 07/28/2014 and I am 152.2 and feeling so much better. I actually feel like doing something other than sit around and watch tv.

I too tried many diets (life style changes as they like to call them).

I had a Gastric Bypass also and know you will do well.

Congratulations! I am glad that it is working for you! Did you have the 6 month requirement with your insurance before they would do your surgery? I just met with the nutritionist today. I have started food logging and focusing on eating at a slower pace. I also have a fitbit on the way so I can start tracking my activity.

Welcome and Congrats you have made the right choice I went and had mine done back in May and I have lost almost 75 lbs in 3 months the only thing that i regret is that I had done it years ago. Wish you well in your new Journey

Back