• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just starting the process!!

Nearnermal

Hello everyone! I have just started the crazy process! I have met with the surgeon and have started all my testing. My insurance requires a 6 month wait. I am ok with that. I have been heavy my whole life. I realize that I am still young and can still have a totally different life! I have been living with high blood pressure, a sore back, problems sleeping and now type 2 diabetes. I had to say, NO MORE!! I have to do this for me, I want to be healthy. 40 is just around the corner! I love life and I love being alive. I want to enjoy every minute of it. I am going out of state for vacation and am dreading the plane ride. Squeezing into those tiny seats, hoping someone small sits next to you. I'm sure everyone here knows the drill. But I take comfort in knowing that next time I fly, I will be more comfortable! This isn't going to be easy, but I'm ready to work hard!

Hello everyone! I have just started the crazy process! I have met with the surgeon and have started all my testing. My insurance requires a 6 month wait. I am ok with that. I have been heavy my whole life. I realize that I am still young and can still have a totally different life! I have been living with high blood pressure, a sore back, problems sleeping and now type 2 diabetes. I had to say, NO MORE!! I have to do this for me, I want to be healthy. 40 is just around the corner! I love life and I love being alive. I want to enjoy every minute of it. I am going out of state for vacation and am dreading the plane ride. Squeezing into those tiny seats, hoping someone small sits next to you. I'm sure everyone here knows the drill. But I take comfort in knowing that next time I fly, I will be more comfortable! This isn't going to be easy, but I'm ready to work hard!

Welcome to the forum.

You will find that we are all here to support each other.

This is a life's journey. This is a life changer. It will be a difficult journey if you go it alone.

So, you took a vital first step by joining our forum and surrounding yourself with likeminded people who are at various points in the journey you are beginning today.

We will be here to answer any and all questions that you have.

We will share our successes. We will also help each other during our trying times.

Welcome.

Ralph

Welcome to the forum! What a positive step you are making towards a healthier life! Have you decided on which procedure you are going to have?
After 3 months, I am off my BP meds, cholesterol meds, oxygen at night, and I'm pretty sure the CPAP is on it's way out the door. Right now I weigh about what I weighed in High School, which was over forty years ago. Yeah me!
P.S. I hate to tell you this, but they keep making the aisles and the foot room smaller on airplanes. I flew over Christmas and I was still uncomfortable. I came out of it with bruises on my arms and legs from trying to haul my overnight bag down the aisle, bumping into people and other seats all the way.

Welcome to the forum! What a positive step you are making towards a healthier life! Have you decided on which procedure you are going to have?
After 3 months, I am off my BP meds, cholesterol meds, oxygen at night, and I'm pretty sure the CPAP is on it's way out the door. Right now I weigh about what I weighed in High School, which was over forty years ago. Yeah me!
P.S. I hate to tell you this, but they keep making the aisles and the foot room smaller on airplanes. I flew over Christmas and I was still uncomfortable. I came out of it with bruises on my arms and legs from trying to haul my overnight bag down the aisle, bumping into people and other seats all the way.

Wow, oxygen at night! Yikes.

Research cholesterol a little more. I will be consulting with my cardiologist next Monday on the 27th and will post what I learn. One thing I have heard is there is a new study out that says being on a low dose regimen of a statin (i.e. Lipitor), which is now generic and not expensive at all, may in fact protect the heart regardless of the cholesterol count. I have had discussions in the past with my Doc. There may be a link between statins and inflammation. It helps prevent inflammation, which is the true culprit in heart attacks and strokes. Just a thought.

I stopped all my meds at this point except the Lipitor 20mg daily. I am monitoring my vitals. My resting pulse is staying in the low 60s; that is good.

My bp has crept up to the 130s/80s. The low number has hit 90 a couple of times. This concerns me. It is still within the guidelines. However, it may make sense to stay on one of my bp meds until further weight is lost. I don't know. This is a discussion point next week as well.

What I am doing is coming into his office off all meds for a new look.

Ralph

Karenina, I also was on oxygen at night too and recently when I went into the hospital for my gallbladder, I was amazed that my oxygen saturation was 96 percent at the lowest, usually being 98, or even 100 percent. So now I am off oxygen altogether! Yea for me!!! This weight loss surgery has helped me so much, I am also off my cpap, and I was taken off one of my blood pressure meds. What a great journey this is. :)

Karenina, I also was on oxygen at night too and recently when I went into the hospital for my gallbladder, I was amazed that my oxygen saturation was 96 percent at the lowest, usually being 98, or even 100 percent. So now I am off oxygen altogether! Yea for me!!! This weight loss surgery has helped me so much, I am also off my cpap, and I was taken off one of my blood pressure meds. What a great journey this is. :)
Good for you, Cheyenne. I kind of miss the oxygen. It made me feel so good when I woke up. Clear headed

Good for you, Cheyenne. I kind of miss the oxygen. It made me feel so good when I woke up. Clear headed

Make sure you go back for another sleep study and truly find out that your sleep apnea is gone.

I stopped using the CPAP machine too. But, I want to confirm that the sleep apnea is completely gone too.

What you are implying is you are NOT waking up clear headed, which suggests that you may still need the CPAP machine.

Talk to your sleep doctor about this.

Ralph

Make sure you go back for another sleep study and truly find out that your sleep apnea is gone.

I stopped using the CPAP machine too. But, I want to confirm that the sleep apnea is completely gone too.

What you are implying is you are NOT waking up clear headed, which suggests that you may still need the CPAP machine.

Talk to your sleep doctor about this.

Ralph
I will have another sleep study before discontinuing the CPAP, but the oxygen wasn't related to sleep apnea.

I'm new here too! Welcome! I remember a plane ride where I had to hold the seat belt around me during the whole flight so no one would know it wouldn't reach around me. I just wanted to die. Too embarrassed to ask for an extension belt. So now I just finished my six month wait, and looking forward to my insurance approval so my surgeon can give me a surgery date. Good luck to you and wishing you a happy, healthy journey ahead! ~ Bonnie

Back