• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just wanting to share my thoughts today…

Lesa Marie

I’m 1.5 yrs post op & I’ve been maintaining around 180lbs for a yr now since I lost all my weight by month 6. I actually stopped my weight loss at that point cause I felt good about my health and body and how far I had come. With that being said, the old me (I call her fat Lesa lol) still ALWAYS wants to eat every single crumb on my plate and since I don’t weigh/measure anything out that can be a problem when I put too much on my plate. I’m on day two of putting less down on my plate and stopping when I feel good and NOT completely full because that actually catches up eventually. It’s hard but I have to remind myself the he** I put my body through to get this far. I went under the knife and had 85% of my stomach removed to help save my life so why not continue to take advantage of that tool for life and allow it to help guide me? I’ve introduced so much sugar and way too many carbs that aren’t providing my body the nutrients it needs. All my blood work is good but I know I can do better for myself. If I lose weight in the process then so be it but I’m more so looking to do right by myself instead of overly indulging in unnecessary and empty calories. Just remember that this is a life long battle for us ALL but please don’t give up on yourself cause you are so worth it!

I totally understand this. I really did great early on and set myself up with a healthy diet and lots of healthy habits. But after a while my over indulgent habits started to creep back in. Iced coffee instead of water, snack foods, BREAD (oh, how I love bread lol)

Maintenance is hard AF. It's putting yourself in check constantly for no visible/immediate reward. I mean, yes, I will remain at my current, healthy weight. And will continue to feel good. And I need that. But keeping the status quo is not ideal as a motivator. I think we're mostly wired to choose instant gratification. Delaying that for a later payoff is hard but satisfying. Denying yourself for stagnation can feel impossible.

I've been above my self set weight range (158- 163) for months. I now hang out at 166-168. I know that doesn't seem like a lot. But I worry that those 5-10lbs are going to become 15-20. Then 20-30. 30 - 50?!? Cue dramatic meltdown and self loathing. Because WHY can't I just not eat that??

Part of my NY resolution is to have self care center around self care and not self pampering. Actually caring for my entire self, through healthy habits AND pampering lol

Back