• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lap band, gastric bypass, or Sleeve??

LaurieB

went to first info meeting yesterday. Went in thinking if I decide to do this that I would do the lap band, but then the doctor didn't have anything good to say about it. She recommended the sleeve for me. This whole thing just makes me nervous.....am I taking the easy way out?? Is this going to be safe 20 or 30 years from now??
But I would like to hear others thoughts on the three different types of surgery.....what did you have done? and why did you choose that way?
And how was the actual surgery and recovery??
Thanks!!

Hi, LaurieB! I, too, had many concerns about what type of procedure to have. I ended up doing the Gastric Bypass. My recovery time took a bit (I was off of work for 6 weeks), but I feel that I made the right decision for me. My Dr. also did not have good things to say about the Lap Band. It is not permanent enough and does not have a high success rate. He felt that because overall I was still "healthy," but just obese, that the Bypass was the best fit for me.

I just had surgery at the beginning of the year, and I have the same concerns you do. But let me tell you, this is NOT the easy way out! I have to work very, very hard every day to make this work! Good luck!

went to first info meeting yesterday. Went in thinking if I decide to do this that I would do the lap band, but then the doctor didn't have anything good to say about it. She recommended the sleeve for me. This whole thing just makes me nervous.....am I taking the easy way out?? Is this going to be safe 20 or 30 years from now??
But I would like to hear others thoughts on the three different types of surgery.....what did you have done? and why did you choose that way?
And how was the actual surgery and recovery??
Thanks!!

Hi Laurie! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I had the gastric bypass laprascopic RNY in June of 2013 and it was the best decision of my life. I needed the extra help of bypassing part of my intestine to help my body not absorb calories as easy as it did. I was the kind of person who could look at food and gain weight. The operation wasn't very painful at all, I was really surprised! I have lost a very significant amount of weight and I feel really great and I couldn't be happier. I would do it over in a New York second. :eek: It changed my life!!!

I have heard many bad things about the lap band. The band frequently embeds itself into the stomach and has to be surgically removed when that happens. I have a friend who had the lapband a year before my surgery and she lost weight at first but gained almost all of it back.

Many people on this forum have had the Sleeve and have lost a lot of weight very successfully.

Good luck with your decision!

Cheyenne :cool:

Back