• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lap Band removal & RNY

Hi, I had a lap band removed and then a RNY Dec 28, 2023. My pain was minimal the first two days now I’m having a hard time even drinking water. I’ve been sipping on water and broths. The broths are getting old. I’m trying to walk 10 minutes every hour because I have horrible flatulence. I started questioning whether I should have gone through with the surgery because of the discomfort. Any suggestions for the gas nausea coming with liquids? I’m really looking forward to the purée stage so I have more options.

Use the Search feature to find answers and similar experiences to what you're going through. If I can offer you a word of comfort, just start thinking positive thoughts, beginning with the fact that soon, this will all be normal, you'll be eating normally, you won't have gas all the time and most likely, you won't have gas at all. However, the fact that you had a lap band before may have changed your anatomy must be taken into consideration. I hope you're in contact with your doctor. There's a great deal of intestinal tissue so it's possible to move past bad spots and create good pathways, especially in these modern times.

First things first: call a doctor.

Its major surgery and re-routes your digestive system. Please give yourself the time to heal.

Your team can give you meds for nausea. Gas pains can be helped by walking, a heating pad in your shoulders or an abdominal binder.

Make sure that you are taking small sips and letting it settle before you drink more. I had a very hard time sipping, since I'm a gulper. You really have to slow it down post op.

I hope you feel better soon. If you're still having problems, call your team.

Back