• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lap-band Revision to Gastric Bypass

bamaslady

Hello All

I need advice. I had lap-band surgery in Mexico in May of 2007. My weight was 326. I lost approximately 40 lbs over the following year. Since then, I gained every lb back and more. I weigh around 330 now. I am 5'10" and 52 yrs old. I live in North Carolina.

I have only gone to the Dr for one visit (in US) concerning this lap-band since 2007. I throw up at the beginning of every meal unless I have had something hot like soup to begin with. My family is fed up with the quality of life I have. I am ashamed and embarrassed. I have developed acid-reflux and sleep apnea. I am tired all of the time too.

If I had lost at least 100 lbs, I would feel better about this surgery but since I didn't it is a tough pill to swallow literally.

My husband wants me to have the lapband removed. My son thinks I should get a revision to Gastric Bypass.

I don't know what I should do. I'm scared to have another surgery that will potentially no work. I am scared if I have the lap-band removed, because I might gain a lot more weight.

Any advice?

Hello All

I need advice. I had lap-band surgery in Mexico in May of 2007. My weight was 326. I lost approximately 40 lbs over the following year. Since then, I gained every lb back and more. I weigh around 330 now. I am 5'10" and 52 yrs old. I live in North Carolina.

I have only gone to the Dr for one visit (in US) concerning this lap-band since 2007. I throw up at the beginning of every meal unless I have had something hot like soup to begin with. My family is fed up with the quality of life I have. I am ashamed and embarrassed. I have developed acid-reflux and sleep apnea. I am tired all of the time too.

If I had lost at least 100 lbs, I would feel better about this surgery but since I didn't it is a tough pill to swallow literally.

My husband wants me to have the lapband removed. My son thinks I should get a revision to Gastric Bypass.

I don't know what I should do. I'm scared to have another surgery that will potentially no work. I am scared if I have the lap-band removed, because I might gain a lot more weight.

Any advice?
Now that your lap band has failed, you have an acute problem that needs immediate attention. You should schedule an appointment at a surgical center where you can choose a bariatric surgeon.

Only losing 40 lbs in one year following a lap band surgery doesn't necessarily mean the surgery wasn't good. It actually is probably more a function that you didn't have a post-operative diet that would help you lose the weight.

If you cannot stick to a post-operative diet, you will always have problems. For most of us, this means detaching from our families' routines and focusing only on ourselves. It sounds like you have good family support. I would get right on it and schedule a revision as soon as possible.

But make sure you have a nutritionist and that you are ready to commit to the new lifestyle you must adhere to following surgery. Surgery is only a tool. You have to be able to use that tool in order to accomplish your goals.

Hi there. It sounds like, at the very least, you need to make an appointment to see a bariatric surgeon to discuss your options. Just from what you've said, you at least need to have the lap band removed to improve your quality of life. I can't give you advice on what surgery to have. But I can tell you, 52 is too young to suffer the rest of your life. Call a surgeon in your area and discuss your options. Most weight loss surgeries now include a lot of support and involve not just surgeons but nutritionists, GP's and therapists. So, whatever type of support you need, you can and will receive. Good Luck.

Hello All

Any advice?
The lapband sounds like it needs to come out... It could be overfilled, causing the issues with throwing up... Chances are that if you are having those issues, you are eating "slider" foods which go down easier with the band, which can contribute to regain. I would definitely see a surgeon to look into bypass revision. The bands tend to be bad news - they are actually banned a lot of places now, and most reputable surgeons will not do them any longer.

Hello All

Any advice?
I have been there!!! I had the lap band placed November of 2007, lost 115 pounds in a year then gained it all back plus some over the course of 10 years. I had the band removed in 2019 and am 17 days away from having the bypass. The band unfortunately does not have long term results like the bypass and with the band I constantly felt restricted and would throw up at least once a day. It's awful! Even with the whole fill out I had too much restriction. There is the potential that you have a serious issue with your band too so if you can get in anywhere I suggest you do that ASAP.

Getting the band out was THE BEST decision I made. I did gain some weight afterwards but only 4 pounds over a year! I am really looking forward to getting the bypass and starting my best life soon.

I hope you stay in touch and keep us updated, I'd love to hear more of your story!

Heather

I have been there!!! I had the lap band placed November of 2007, lost 115 pounds in a year then gained it all back plus some over the course of 10 years. I had the band removed in 2019 and am 17 days away from having the bypass. The band unfortunately does not have long term results like the bypass and with the band I constantly felt restricted and would throw up at least once a day. It's awful! Even with the whole fill out I had too much restriction. There is the potential that you have a serious issue with your band too so if you can get in anywhere I suggest you do that ASAP.

Getting the band out was THE BEST decision I made. I did gain some weight afterwards but only 4 pounds over a year! I am really looking forward to getting the bypass and starting my best life soon.

I hope you stay in touch and keep us updated, I'd love to hear more of your story!

Heather
Hi there, just joined and am reading post about lap band revisions. I‘m scheduled on Monday May 17th to have a revision surgery. They removed my lap band back in October. Long story was my insurance denied my revision 3 times. Finally with the help of an advocacy group I finally was approved for the revision. Just wondering how the two compare. I’m a little freaked out About the whole thing and trying to stay positive. The lap band I was limited on everything and like you was getting sick daily. Just wondering if your revision was much better then the band and so forth. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

Do not let your experience with the lap band negatively influence your decision to get the bypass. They have completely different effects on our biology and the bypass is WAY more effective in a number of different ways.

The reason the lapband is ineffective is that it does not cause changes to your biology and your brain's reaction to hormonal signals like the bypass or sleeve surgeries provide. All the lapband does is restrict food, and although the other surgeries restrict food too, that is not why the they help people lose weight. The effect on the body is completely different with the bypass or sleeve, so it is highly likely that you would see significantly more weight loss with a bypass, and you would most likely be able to manage the weight better in the long term.

Hi there, just joined and am reading post about lap band revisions. I‘m scheduled on Monday May 17th to have a revision surgery. They removed my lap band back in October. Long story was my insurance denied my revision 3 times. Finally with the help of an advocacy group I finally was approved for the revision. Just wondering how the two compare. I’m a little freaked out About the whole thing and trying to stay positive. The lap band I was limited on everything and like you was getting sick daily. Just wondering if your revision was much better then the band and so forth. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

I hope your surgery went well. I think you will find it to be much more helpful than the lapband. I had mine removed at the same time as sleeve surgery, however the restriction for the band had been removed a long time ago as I was having problems with it. Good luck, let us know how you are doing!

Back