• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Let the Journey...Begin......

mama0297

So I have the Seminar on the 21st of this month ( I also changed where I was going, to a center of excellence). On the 25th I have a consult appointment with the surgeon and dietician! Wow, this is all blowing my mind....in a good way! I am still nervous, but happy about my choice.

Now I am looking at pricing for vitamins and proteins, good quality and low price! Found a couple of sites, so I am very happy about that too! I would love to start buying, but I hear that tastes may change and people even become lactose intolerant...is that true? If so, I will begin with some samples, I guess. Sorry, just excited...I will take it one day at a time. Btw, has anyone else had to wait 9 months...my insurance requires that long, not that I'm complaining! :D

So I have the Seminar on the 21st of this month ( I also changed where I was going, to a center of excellence). On the 25th I have a consult appointment with the surgeon and dietician! Wow, this is all blowing my mind....in a good way! I am still nervous, but happy about my choice.

Now I am looking at pricing for vitamins and proteins, good quality and low price! Found a couple of sites, so I am very happy about that too! I would love to start buying, but I hear that tastes may change and people even become lactose intolerant...is that true? If so, I will begin with some samples, I guess. Sorry, just excited...I will take it one day at a time. Btw, has anyone else had to wait 9 months...my insurance requires that long, not that I'm complaining! :D

My insurance required 6 months of monthly visits to my primary care doctor for pre surgery weight loss and an exercise program. All in all it took me about 9 months from beginning to end. The time went pretty fast. :)

Good Luck!!!

Cheyenne

My insurance required a physician documented year of attempted weight loss through diet and exercise and at least three meetings with a nutritionist. I had been trying to lose weight for an eternity, so the entire process took about 6 months from first seminar to surgery date. It went faster than I could have imagined.
Tastes do change after surgery. Many things are too sweet for me now. I don't know about lactose intolerance, but I don't tolerate breads, pasta, rice or potatoes well. Some variations will actually make me sick and others will just fill me up within a bite or two. Since my meals are still almost entirely protein, it's best I avoid them anyway. I assure you that I have no regrets about giving these things up, especially now that I feel so fantastic and I'm getting down towards sizes I haven't seen since high school.
Good luck and remember, one day at a time. :)

Lactose intolerance is common post-op. Not sure of the reason. Your Center of Excellence should have recommendations for you about vitamins and supplements. It's good that you're thinking about vitamins since it will become a permanent part of your life! I just passed my six month checkup and all of my labs were good except my protein level was low. Since I have gotten from 60 to 100 Gms of protein in every day since surgery, I must not be processing it. So now I have to get a minimum of 120 Gm of protein in a day.
Each center and insurance company has different guidelines. I had to have 6 months of nutritional supervision and classes.

Back