• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Liquids AHHHHHHH!! Help!

My surgery is scheduled for the Dec 16. I have started the pre- op liquid diet ahead of schedule so I can get use to it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am currently on shakes and water and zero calorie drinks. I already miss the chew... lol :)

Sugar free gum occasionally helps with the urge to chew. Keep in mind that after surgery it will be a while before you can chew gum. They do not like chewing gum after surgery because you swallow air while chewing.

You might want to start few of your post bariatric vitamins early. You can get gummies for overall vits and chewable calcium. Check out your local Walmart, K=mart etc for them.

My surgery is scheduled for the Dec 16. I have started the pre- op liquid diet ahead of schedule so I can get use to it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am currently on shakes and water and zero calorie drinks. I already miss the chew... lol :)

You might want to start few of your post bariatric vitamins early. You can get gummies for overall vits and chewable calcium. Check out your local Walmart, K=mart etc for them.

You do NOT want to use any form of gummy vitamins, calcium or anything after surgery. You run the risk of blocking you new stomach opening and that is a very painful thing to have happen.. All you can do is throw it up (which is not something you want to happen) or lay down and wait for your stomach to digest the gummy mass, which can take more than 30 minutes and you feel like you have a cud stuck behind your breast bone... You should not drink anything in an attempt to flush the mass you will only vomit.

Your best bet is to call your surgeons office, talk to both the nurse and the dietician about the correct vitamins, proteins and supplements you will need..

Back