• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Little frustrated, little scared

I'm a out 9 months post op. I've been craving sugar lately. Having a very hard time with head hunger/eating when I'm bored. Not sure if I'm eating too much, I stop before I feel full. Just very scared I'm going to mess this up. Any tips would be helpful. Very overwhelmed with tracking, too.

Does exercise help with Stalls?

If you haven't been exercising before and start now, it could help break a stall. Sometimes if calories are too low, it helps to up the calories for a little while and then reduce them again. As for sugar craving, it happens. Sometimes fruit will help, especially grapes. I think I starting having some sweet cravings about 9 or 10 months out too.

Totally understand being scared! I have been there and done that. Seeing other patients gaining there weight back scared the crap out of me. Just remember this is a tool not a fix to our weight issues. As far as the sweet fix try no sugar candy, or gum. Diet Dr Pepper was my big problem. Found that if I set it out with the lid off I’m good to go. Reach out when your having doubts.

There is a lot of conflicting information, and it doesn't help that every bariatric clinic has a slightly different take on things. The bottom line is that we each respond to food depending on our individual biology and primarily the make-up of our microbiome. It can take a little experimentation to find the right combination of foods that keep you satiated and energetic. Choosing the right foods are more important than tracking stuff, but tracking works well for some people, but it wasn't for me.

As far as cravings, I don't think it's wrong to enjoy something once in a while. I think it is part of the learning process of being able to eat normally without going overboard. Obviously, you have to control the urge to keep eating more, but I've worked hard on not feeling guilty if I have a guilty pleasure once in a while. That being said, most of the time I reach for one or two of my "go-to" snacks which are usually carrots and hummus, or an apple, or grapes, or some nuts. Sometimes I'll choose something not sweet even when I'm craving something sweet and that ends up doing the job.

Sometimes when I want something sweet I'll have some tea or coffee with a bit of stevia sweetener. Sometimes some fairly dark chocolate with just a bit of sweetness.

The other thing I do anytime I feel a craving is I drink extra water or a lightly sweetened fruit essence water.

If you are having sugar cravings periodically, you might keep a log for a while just tracking how you feel after meals. If you get hungry or crave sugar and/or get lethargic/bored a couple of hours after a meal, that probably isn't a meal you want to eat regularly. Conversely, if you have a meal that satiates you for 3-4 hours, keeps you fairly energetic, and doesn't trigger cravings, that's a meal you may want to have more often.

Consider adding a very wide diversity of plants to your meals. You don't need to be a vegetarian, and they don't have to be in large amounts, but the more types of fiber your gut bugs have the chew on, the more likely it is that you'll have more sustainable satiation and other benefits. I try to have 20-30 different plants each week. That may seem like a lot, but it includes anything that grows, nuts, seeds, grains (unprocessed), vegetables, fungus, fruits, etc.

Of course, what works for me may not be exactly what works for you, but consider branching out and adding things into your diet that perhaps you haven't thought of before. Diversity of food can really go a long way in promoting gut and body health and feeling satisfied.

I have reached way outside of my food comfort zone and found I like so many things I thought I wouldn't. It's made my post-op relationship with food so much better and more enjoyable than the junk I was eating pre-surgery.

As far as exercise and stalls. Exercise does very little with regard to weight loss. It has amazing health benefits, but actually triggering weight loss isn't one of them. Depending on your level of exercise, you may or may not need to adjust your calorie intake up a bit. If you are just adding some moderate exercise, it's probably not too critical that you add calories, although if you are 9 mos out and only eating 800 calories, that is pretty low. You'd want to add some if you are going to exercise regularly.

There's no magic bullet with stalls. There are lots of things that you can be trying, like others have suggested, adjusting calories, having a high-calorie day and then reducing back down, mixing up your food intake, etc. If/when the stall breaks, it probably won't actually be a result of a specific action, but a combination of things that led your biology to trigger some more loss. It doesn't hurt to try some things, but it almost always come back to finding the right foods and food amounts that make your body more efficient.

Finally, my disclaimer...these are the things I've done over the last year and a half to reach my goals and maintain them. Will this sustain me long-term? Only time will tell, but what works for me is my story...so take any advice you get from anyone, including me, with a grain of salt. Each person has to find the right thing for themselves, and of course, as always, don't make any massive changes to diet or exercise without consulting your physician.

There is a lot of conflicting information, and it doesn't help that every bariatric clinic has a slightly different take on things. The bottom line is that we each respond to food depending on our individual biology and primarily the make-up of our microbiome. It can take a little experimentation to find the right combination of foods that keep you satiated and energetic. Choosing the right foods are more important than tracking stuff, but tracking works well for some people, but it wasn't for me.

As far as cravings, I don't think it's wrong to enjoy something once in a while. I think it is part of the learning process of being able to eat normally without going overboard. Obviously, you have to control the urge to keep eating more, but I've worked hard on not feeling guilty if I have a guilty pleasure once in a while. That being said, most of the time I reach for one or two of my "go-to" snacks which are usually carrots and hummus, or an apple, or grapes, or some nuts. Sometimes I'll choose something not sweet even when I'm craving something sweet and that ends up doing the job.

Sometimes when I want something sweet I'll have some tea or coffee with a bit of stevia sweetener. Sometimes some fairly dark chocolate with just a bit of sweetness.

The other thing I do anytime I feel a craving is I drink extra water or a lightly sweetened fruit essence water.

If you are having sugar cravings periodically, you might keep a log for a while just tracking how you feel after meals. If you get hungry or crave sugar and/or get lethargic/bored a couple of hours after a meal, that probably isn't a meal you want to eat regularly. Conversely, if you have a meal that satiates you for 3-4 hours, keeps you fairly energetic, and doesn't trigger cravings, that's a meal you may want to have more often.

Consider adding a very wide diversity of plants to your meals. You don't need to be a vegetarian, and they don't have to be in large amounts, but the more types of fiber your gut bugs have the chew on, the more likely it is that you'll have more sustainable satiation and other benefits. I try to have 20-30 different plants each week. That may seem like a lot, but it includes anything that grows, nuts, seeds, grains (unprocessed), vegetables, fungus, fruits, etc.

Of course, what works for me may not be exactly what works for you, but consider branching out and adding things into your diet that perhaps you haven't thought of before. Diversity of food can really go a long way in promoting gut and body health and feeling satisfied.

I have reached way outside of my food comfort zone and found I like so many things I thought I wouldn't. It's made my post-op relationship with food so much better and more enjoyable than the junk I was eating pre-surgery.

As far as exercise and stalls. Exercise does very little with regard to weight loss. It has amazing health benefits, but actually triggering weight loss isn't one of them. Depending on your level of exercise, you may or may not need to adjust your calorie intake up a bit. If you are just adding some moderate exercise, it's probably not too critical that you add calories, although if you are 9 mos out and only eating 800 calories, that is pretty low. You'd want to add some if you are going to exercise regularly.

There's no magic bullet with stalls. There are lots of things that you can be trying, like others have suggested, adjusting calories, having a high-calorie day and then reducing back down, mixing up your food intake, etc. If/when the stall breaks, it probably won't actually be a result of a specific action, but a combination of things that led your biology to trigger some more loss. It doesn't hurt to try some things, but it almost always come back to finding the right foods and food amounts that make your body more efficient.

Finally, my disclaimer...these are the things I've done over the last year and a half to reach my goals and maintain them. Will this sustain me long-term? Only time will tell, but what works for me is my story...so take any advice you get from anyone, including me, with a grain of salt. Each person has to find the right thing for themselves, and of course, as always, don't make any massive changes to diet or exercise without consulting your physician.
I need some help.

I'm a out 9 months post op. I've been craving sugar lately. Having a very hard time with head hunger/eating when I'm bored. Not sure if I'm eating too much, I stop before I feel full. Just very scared I'm going to mess this up. Any tips would be helpful. Very overwhelmed with tracking, too.

Fruit will replace the craving for sugar. Tracking helps you see what works and what doesn't. Be strong.

New first time. Had surgery 5/18/21 lost 140 lbs but am struggling

Hi, Jimbo. Welcome to the group. I had the bypass on 6/22/21 and am finding that sustaining my new lifestyle is a constant struggle. Well, to be fair, maybe not constant, as there are times it's just natural. But other times, it's all I can do not to go for a candy bar or to force myself to head for protein before carbs. And being an imperfect person, sometimes the candy bar or carbs win.

What I'm learning is that having that candy bar or eating too many carbs one day doesn't make me a failure. Eating more than the 1000 calories a day my WL doctor (still?!?!) recommends is not failing. Being 5lbs over a healthy BMI is not failing. The biggest change I've made is how I treat myself, mentally. After that candy bar, I accept that I ate it because I wanted it, regardless of nutritional value and move on. I don't ruin the rest of my day, or week or month with continued bad choices, the recriminations of failure, and predictions of future failures. I find this allowing me to decide how and when to indulge and how and when to focus.

Knowing that you will have struggles, that you won't win every single one of them, can allow you to fully understand that you can win most of them. And I feel like once you accept that, the struggles become just a little easier. Or at least it becomes easier to accept that I am struggling right now; but I won't always be. You won't always be either.

Hi, Jimbo. Welcome to the group. I had the bypass on 6/22/21 and am finding that sustaining my new lifestyle is a constant struggle. Well, to be fair, maybe not constant, as there are times it's just natural. But other times, it's all I can do not to go for a candy bar or to force myself to head for protein before carbs. And being an imperfect person, sometimes the candy bar or carbs win.

What I'm learning is that having that candy bar or eating too many carbs one day doesn't make me a failure. Eating more than the 1000 calories a day my WL doctor (still?!?!) recommends is not failing. Being 5lbs over a healthy BMI is not failing. The biggest change I've made is how I treat myself, mentally. After that candy bar, I accept that I ate it because I wanted it, regardless of nutritional value and move on. I don't ruin the rest of my day, or week or month with continued bad choices, the recriminations of failure, and predictions of future failures. I find this allowing me to decide how and when to indulge and how and when to focus.

Knowing that you will have struggles, that you won't win every single one of them, can allow you to fully understand that you can win most of them. And I feel like once you accept that, the struggles become just a little easier. Or at least it becomes easier to accept that I am struggling right now; but I won't always be. You won't always be either.
Thanks for the welcome and encouragement.

Exercise? Food suggestions. Encourage me ?
Are you tracking food? How much more do you want to lose? A 4 pound weight gain could be water retention, constipation, muscle inflammation…I mean, 4 pounds isn’t a lot, and in what time frame? A couple days, a week? How often to you weigh yourself? I have a 10 pound comfort range. Im pretty much done intentionally losing weight, and as long as I stay within a 10 pound range (between 170 and 180) I’m happy. My nurse practitioner applauded my attitude around a weight range because there’s wiggle room while still being conscious of staying in a certain place. It seems less stressful to me than a set pound goal.

I never used to like sweets more of a bread person but now sometimes i too crave them. The key is to stay away from anything with 10-15 grams of total sugar on the label per serving or you’ll get dumping syndrome. Also protein is very important as you mentioned do the best you can. I drink protein water and i have liquacel packs you can buy online that provide a big supplement and are used by doctors to treat patients with increased protein needs but it can be bought online over the counter. All protein has a caloric intake but there are more protein rich snacks than ever these days. I was told I’m supposed to be consuming 300-600 calories a day. I’m trying but I’m hungry and thirsty most of the time. I don’t feel satisfied very long which is not what i expected. I’m tired often. I’m getting frustrated that the weight is coming off slowly so i know what to do right but I’m dealing with some frustrations of my own that’s why i found this place thankfully.

Back