• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Long term questions

Melodytc

Hi all,

I’m really waffling back and forth on whether or not I want to move forward with the surgery. I have trouble with the finality of the diet after surgery.

Am I really never going to have flavored seltzer water again or be able to eat pizza or a cookie? The thought gives me anxiety. Obviously I have issues with food. I’m just wondering if this means I won’t be successful. Hoping to talk to someone who is a couple years out and see how things are going for them.

I'm 17 years out and I eat the same stuff everyone else eats. I just eat less of it.

I also take 22 supplements a day, including 2 multivitamins, as advised by my doctor.

I think artificial sweeteners are worse for your body than sugar, so I rarely use them. I don't load up on sugar but if it's appropriate, I use it.

The bottom line is that there isn't a single food I used to eat that I still don't eat. I'm just way smarter about HOW I eat and when and I use a scale and measuring cups and spoons to make sure I don't overdo. I also put my fork or spoon down between bites and chew each bite until it's liquefied. I eat slowly and deliberately so I don't get artificially full too fast. I let my body enjoy my food and give it time to digest well, so all the nutritional components have a chance to be absorbed, not to slide through my intestines without breaking down.

Like me, you have some kind of eating disorder. We all do, or we wouldn't need surgery in the first place. Most of us have tried everything and only got temporary results. Change that by learning about affirmations. Here's the best affirmation book I ever read.

1701295623128.jpeg

It's a diet from negative thinking. It's much more effective than a diet from food.

I'm 72 years old. Most people think I'm in my 40s.

Attachments

• AFTER.jpg
    AFTER.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 48
I eat everything. Everything except hot fudge lol Carbonated beverages still do not agree with me. But I can handle a small glass of champagne for celebrating. I really don't miss anything. There is saying that "Nothing feels better than skinny feels." I was always like *Have you tasted a chocolate chip cookie?!?" But real talk .. I feel AaaahhMazing!! And really, I can still eat a chocolate chip cookie. But, I don't eat Chips-A-Hoy. I make my own. If I'm eating the calorie, it has to be worth it.

Back