• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Look who's finally posting in this thread... huh? huh??? yeah, you see me postin, you be hatin... lol

hahahaha! I got my date!!! December 9th!! Sleeve Gastrectomy! woot!
I have some really good advice for you. Now that you know when your surgery will be, stock up on all the food you will be eating for the first few weeks. That would be fat-free sugar-free Jell-O pudding, sugar free Jello, juices, applesauce and canned fruits that you can use to make smoothies, and later, yogurt and cottage cheese. Splurge on broth instead of bouillon. It costs more money but it's a lot better tasting.

Also, I really suggest you buy some Milkman powdered milk and use it to make Magic Milk before your full liquid, soft and puree diet phases begin. Cream of wheat or Malt-O-Meal cereals can be cooked in Magic milk instead of water and the protein is just insane that way. Same with cream soups which you can also puree the hell out of before you add the milk so there are no lumps.

I had a very poor appetite for the first couple weeks so I really relied on broth and creamy soups. It was the kind of stuff that went down easy and tasted really good. But I made sure that I just pulverized the hell out of condensed soup so I wouldn't be swallowing a hunk of chicken or mushroom. Sometimes I also just drank the Jello before it was set up. I liked the taste but I didn't want to deal with the texture of it.

I also bought a can of Trader Joe's whey powder and added it in whenever possible. They had chocolate and vanilla so that worked for me in a smoothie or sometimes in a pudding.

If you don't have a blender, you should get one, or at the very least, a stick blender. A food processor would also be good but not in your early diet.

As I said I didn't have much of an appetite so I would try to cram so much protein into liquid or saucy foods that even if I could only consume a few spoonfuls, I would be getting a good protein dose.

I don't like processed foods so there are limited things I will eat. But if you go to the message page of our forum here and scroll down to the bottom of the messages under Resources, there should still be a file from MamaBearof4 listing her post-surgery shopping items.

These are good points for anyone who is about to have surgery. Stock up in advance and prepare as much as you can in the days before you have surgery, so you don't have to do so much standing up and preparing and mixing and smooshing things together while you have painful incisions or feel a little dizzy and nauseated.

Now that I mentioned it I'm sure someone will want to know the recipe for magic milk. Here it is:

MAGIC MILK
add one package of Milkman or other dried milk to 1qt. Nonfat milk. Blend well.

Now a cup of milk contains 16 grams of protein instead of 8g.

Use it with cream soups or pudding, etc. Use it INSTEAD of water when you cook your Cream of Wheat or Malt-o-Meal. Use it in smoothies or add to a protein drink, powdered or liquid.

Anything you usually make with water, you can make with Magic Milk. You can even cut up a potato into small pieces and cook it in the magic milk and you would have mashed potatoes with no second thoughts.

Last edited:
I have some really good advice for you. Now that you know when your surgery will be, stock up on all the food you will be eating for the first few weeks. That would be fat-free sugar-free Jell-O pudding, sugar free Jello, juices, applesauce and canned fruits that you can use to make smoothies, and later, yogurt and cottage cheese. Splurge on broth instead of bouillon. It costs more money but it's a lot better tasting.

Also, I really suggest you buy some Milkman powdered milk and use it to make Magic Milk before your full liquid, soft and puree diet phases begin. Cream of wheat or Malt-O-Meal cereals can be cooked in Magic milk instead of water and the protein is just insane that way. Same with cream soups which you can also puree the hell out of before you add the milk so there are no lumps.

I had a very poor appetite for the first couple weeks so I really relied on broth and creamy soups. It was the kind of stuff that went down easy and tasted really good. But I made sure that I just pulverized the hell out of condensed soup so I wouldn't be swallowing a hunk of chicken or mushroom. Sometimes I also just drank the Jello before it was set up. I liked the taste but I didn't want to deal with the texture of it.

I also bought a can of Trader Joe's whey powder and added it in whenever possible. They had chocolate and vanilla so that worked for me in a smoothie or sometimes in a pudding.

If you don't have a blender, you should get one, or at the very least, a stick blender. A food processor would also be good but not in your early diet.

As I said I didn't have much of an appetite so I would try to cram so much protein into liquid or saucy foods that even if I could only consume a few spoonfuls, I would be getting a good protein dose.

I don't like processed foods so there are limited things I will eat. But if you go to the message page of our forum here and scroll down to the bottom of the messages under Resources, there should still be a file from MamaBearof4 listing her post-surgery shopping items.

These are good points for anyone who is about to have surgery. Stock up in advance and prepare as much as you can in the days before you have surgery, so you don't have to do so much standing up and preparing and mixing and smooshing things together while you have painful incisions or feel a little dizzy and nauseated.

Thanks! Good advice. I started stocking up back in March and actually still have some things . I started adding to this week when I got the news.

Back