• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for advice regarding gastric bypass

YodaYoda

Hello. I'm a 51 year old menopausal female - Oh Joy! :p I was born with asthma and did not "out grow it" as some do. My asthma has been well controlled for the last 15 years. I've had some major orthopedic issues since my early 20's with spine surgeries starting in my mid-30's. My spine is fused from S1-L2 (which is pretty much the entire lumbar spine), my right SI joint is fused and I have a spinal cord stimulator that "stimulates" my entire lower body from my ribcage to my toes because of nerve damage caused by multiple fusions. I've also had labrum tears corrected in both hips and multiple injections in hip bursa and joints. I also have some chronic sinus issues that are requiring a second sinus surgery, which is scheduled for January of 2022. Also, in early 2022, I will be having severe carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel syndrome surgeries performed on both arms. I've chosen to wait until 2022 so I can get all three surgeries taken care of in the same insurance deductible year. Oh, and I have plantar facetious in both feet - that's fun!

Although I have multiple ortho issues, I'm relatively healthy (stop laughing) - no heart disease, no diabetes, healthy kidneys & liver, no cancers, no high blood pressure. I do however, have sleep apnea and will soon be getting acquainted with a CPAP. Not looking forward to that!

I've been quite active most of my life and my weight has fluctuated over the years between too thin and obese. I like to workout with weights, go hiking, play tennis, etc., but since my last spinal surgery in December of 2018, which was unavoidable but unfortunately left me with some pretty bad nerve damage, I haven't been as active. Then the pandemic hit and I started working from home and the weight has spiraled out of control. Add in a sick husband (end stage emphysema) who has nothing left but enjoying tasty food - and he does - then sprinkle a little bit of depression on there and top it off with menopause and well . . . you get the point. I'm 5'7" tall and currently weight 248 pounds. I'm uncomfortable and my feet and spine health literally depends on me getting to and maintaining a proper weight. My future will be in a wheelchair if I do not get this under control. I seem to have an insatiable appetite. I have no sense of smell due to the sinus issues but I can taste most foods at least a little bit. I can taste high fat foods and sweet foods the best, which obviously are not what I should be eating. Over the last year, I have tried multiple different forms of eating - Keto, Mediterranean, intermittent fasting, protein pacing, American Heart Association, calorie counting, macro counting - it's exhausting!

I've been thinking about gastric bypass for several months and with the sleep apnea diagnosis, I now meet the qualifications. I'm here because I really want to know what you all have experienced before, during, and after your surgeries. Would you do it again? Was it worth it? Did it work for you? I understand there is no "one size fits all" here and there will be varying opinions but that's what I want to see. I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly, so please do not hold back. Tell me everything!

One other thing you should know about me . . . I'm a happy person. I mentioned that I have some depression but that is mostly circumstantial - it's just hard to watch your husband of 30 years decline with a progressive disease from which he will not get better. If he lasts another year, we'll be very surprised and truth be told, he doesn't want to last another year. His quality of life, physically, is terrible. Mentally, we keep things very upbeat and make sure he has things to look forward to and enjoy. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to lose him soon but yes, all of that along with the pain I'm in, does cause some depression. I try to make sure I keep it in check. When I need to cry, I cry. When I need to be alone and just listen to music and sing, I do that.

Enough about me. Tell me about you and your experience with WLS. Thank you for listening and for anything you are willing to tell me.

Hello. I'm a 51 year old menopausal female - Oh Joy! :p I was born with asthma and did not "out grow it" as some do. My asthma has been well controlled for the last 15 years. I've had some major orthopedic issues since my early 20's with spine surgeries starting in my mid-30's. My spine is fused from S1-L2 (which is pretty much the entire lumbar spine), my right SI joint is fused and I have a spinal cord stimulator that "stimulates" my entire lower body from my ribcage to my toes because of nerve damage caused by multiple fusions. I've also had labrum tears corrected in both hips and multiple injections in hip bursa and joints. I also have some chronic sinus issues that are requiring a second sinus surgery, which is scheduled for January of 2022. Also, in early 2022, I will be having severe carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel syndrome surgeries performed on both arms. I've chosen to wait until 2022 so I can get all three surgeries taken care of in the same insurance deductible year. Oh, and I have plantar facetious in both feet - that's fun!

Although I have multiple ortho issues, I'm relatively healthy (stop laughing) - no heart disease, no diabetes, healthy kidneys & liver, no cancers, no high blood pressure. I do however, have sleep apnea and will soon be getting acquainted with a CPAP. Not looking forward to that!

I've been quite active most of my life and my weight has fluctuated over the years between too thin and obese. I like to workout with weights, go hiking, play tennis, etc., but since my last spinal surgery in December of 2018, which was unavoidable but unfortunately left me with some pretty bad nerve damage, I haven't been as active. Then the pandemic hit and I started working from home and the weight has spiraled out of control. Add in a sick husband (end stage emphysema) who has nothing left but enjoying tasty food - and he does - then sprinkle a little bit of depression on there and top it off with menopause and well . . . you get the point. I'm 5'7" tall and currently weight 248 pounds. I'm uncomfortable and my feet and spine health literally depends on me getting to and maintaining a proper weight. My future will be in a wheelchair if I do not get this under control. I seem to have an insatiable appetite. I have no sense of smell due to the sinus issues but I can taste most foods at least a little bit. I can taste high fat foods and sweet foods the best, which obviously are not what I should be eating. Over the last year, I have tried multiple different forms of eating - Keto, Mediterranean, intermittent fasting, protein pacing, American Heart Association, calorie counting, macro counting - it's exhausting!

I've been thinking about gastric bypass for several months and with the sleep apnea diagnosis, I now meet the qualifications. I'm here because I really want to know what you all have experienced before, during, and after your surgeries. Would you do it again? Was it worth it? Did it work for you? I understand there is no "one size fits all" here and there will be varying opinions but that's what I want to see. I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly, so please do not hold back. Tell me everything!

One other thing you should know about me . . . I'm a happy person. I mentioned that I have some depression but that is mostly circumstantial - it's just hard to watch your husband of 30 years decline with a progressive disease from which he will not get better. If he lasts another year, we'll be very surprised and truth be told, he doesn't want to last another year. His quality of life, physically, is terrible. Mentally, we keep things very upbeat and make sure he has things to look forward to and enjoy. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to lose him soon but yes, all of that along with the pain I'm in, does cause some depression. I try to make sure I keep it in check. When I need to cry, I cry. When I need to be alone and just listen to music and sing, I do that.

Enough about me. Tell me about you and your experience with WLS. Thank you for listening and for anything you are willing to tell me.
Hi & welcome to the group. This is a really great place to get helpful and nonjudgmental advice, encouragement, and positive feedback. We do not give medical advice, nor would you want that from us, but we'll pass on our experiences where appropriate.

Whew! You have your plate full, don't you. I'm terribly sad for you & your husband. My husband has COPD but thankfully it seems to be progressing slowly so far.

Your ortho issues seem pretty daunting, and your positive attitude is admirable. Choosing WLS might make a big difference with future mobility issues from what you have said here.

I had gastric bypass on July 12th. To date I've lost right around 40 lbs from a pre-surgery weight of 234 lbs (weight from 1 week before surgery). Down to 193.8 as of today. I only weigh myself weekly on Mondays (my surgery day).

I am turning 60 this month, and I was worried about healing slowly. I was pleasantly surprised that I had very little pain after surgery. I met my 64+ oz daily water goals, and when I'm drinking protein shakes daily I reach 60+ gms of protein. I am trying to increase my daily protein amounts through healthy eating.

My walking isn't where I want it yet, but walking without hauling around 40 extra lbs already is life-changing.

Would I do this again if I had the choice? Yes, a thousand times yes! I want to enjoy life to the fullest, and having it revolve around stuffing myself with food wasn't bringing me joy. I only wish I had been able to do it years ago.

Please spend time looking through past posts to find out what others have gone through along their journey. Good luck and best wishes.

Hi & welcome to the group. This is a really great place to get helpful and nonjudgmental advice, encouragement, and positive feedback. We do not give medical advice, nor would you want that from us, but we'll pass on our experiences where appropriate.

Whew! You have your plate full, don't you. I'm terribly sad for you & your husband. My husband has COPD but thankfully it seems to be progressing slowly so far.

Your ortho issues seem pretty daunting, and your positive attitude is admirable. Choosing WLS might make a big difference with future mobility issues from what you have said here.

I had gastric bypass on July 12th. To date I've lost right around 40 lbs from a pre-surgery weight of 234 lbs (weight from 1 week before surgery). Down to 193.8 as of today. I only weigh myself weekly on Mondays (my surgery day).

I am turning 60 this month, and I was worried about healing slowly. I was pleasantly surprised that I had very little pain after surgery. I met my 64+ oz daily water goals, and when I'm drinking protein shakes daily I reach 60+ gms of protein. I am trying to increase my daily protein amounts through healthy eating.

My walking isn't where I want it yet, but walking without hauling around 40 extra lbs already is life-changing.

Would I do this again if I had the choice? Yes, a thousand times yes! I want to enjoy life to the fullest, and having it revolve around stuffing myself with food wasn't bringing me joy. I only wish I had been able to do it years ago.

Please spend time looking through past posts to find out what others have gone through along their journey. Good luck and best wishes.
Thank you for your response. I find it very encouraging! I think I found the right place to get advice for making this life-altering decision.

Hi Yoda, welcome to the group! I will be 61 in a month. My presurgery weight was 217.6 in May 2021, I'm 5'4". I had my gastric bypass on August 11th. I am almost 8 weeks postop, my current weight is 175 lbs, total lost is 42.6 lbs so far. I am still fairly early in the process.

Without a doubt I would not hesitate to do this again. It was by far the best decision I've ever made for my health. I only wish I would have made it many years ago. It is not easy, but it is well worth the work.

Last edited:
Hello YodaYoda and welcome! You’ve got a lot going on, wow! And it sounds like you’re taking it all in stride which is awesome. I am almost a year out. I started my WLS journey at 297lbs, surgery day I was 280lbs, and today I am 179lbs. I flux between 175 and 180. I had the bypass and my gallbladder out at the same time. I have not had any surgical complications. I have had some hormonal side effects that I wasn’t prepared for, but other than that it’s been a fairly “easy” time. I say “easy” because the weight fell off because I have followed all the rules and those aren’t always easy mentally. I do eat sugar and desserts, but in small amounts. The mental aspect of this is the most difficult part, and it will continue to be a struggle for me, so I am aware that I have to be careful of stress and triggers. But would I do it again? In a heartbeat!! This was the best decision I’ve ever made for myself.

My doctor's office called me this afternoon to get me scheduled to receive a CPAP for sleep apnea and I asked them to please get me a referral to a WLS doctor for evaluation. I guess that's the first step. I feel bad that I can't do this on my own but now I don't feel alone being in this forum. I've thought about it before but didn't do it because I wasn't ready to give up the way I like to eat, but I believe I am ready now. I've read about what the dietary requirements may be and although it doesn't appear easy, it helps to know that you all have gone through it and it's doable! Thank you.

Before WLS my sleep study revealed "severe" sleep apnea. At one point, I stopped breathing for one minute and 20 seconds.

Now I'm selling my barely used second machine.
That is awesome news! Just in September I had a sleep study and the results are like yours, "severe" sleep apnea. It's very scary and it's kind of the final straw helping me make the decision to press forward with WLS.

Hello YodaYoda and welcome! You’ve got a lot going on, wow! And it sounds like you’re taking it all in stride which is awesome. I am almost a year out. I started my WLS journey at 297lbs, surgery day I was 280lbs, and today I am 179lbs. I flux between 175 and 180. I had the bypass and my gallbladder out at the same time. I have not had any surgical complications. I have had some hormonal side effects that I wasn’t prepared for, but other than that it’s been a fairly “easy” time. I say “easy” because the weight fell off because I have followed all the rules and those aren’t always easy mentally. I do eat sugar and desserts, but in small amounts. The mental aspect of this is the most difficult part, and it will continue to be a struggle for me, so I am aware that I have to be careful of stress and triggers. But would I do it again? In a heartbeat!! This was the best decision I’ve ever made for myself.
Would you be willing to elaborate regarding the hormonal side effects?

My doctor's office called me this afternoon to get me scheduled to receive a CPAP for sleep apnea and I asked them to please get me a referral to a WLS doctor for evaluation. I guess that's the first step. I feel bad that I can't do this on my own but now I don't feel alone being in this forum. I've thought about it before but didn't do it because I wasn't ready to give up the way I like to eat, but I believe I am ready now. I've read about what the dietary requirements may be and although it doesn't appear easy, it helps to know that you all have gone through it and it's doable! Thank you.
My sleep study done many years ago showed that not only did I have severe obstructive sleep apnea, but I also have central sleep apnea as well. So cpap or bipap won't do for me, no I had to get the really expensive machine called an ASV Machine. It keeps me alive at night, so I cannot complain.

My sleep study done many years ago showed that not only did I have severe obstructive sleep apnea, but I also have central sleep apnea as well. So cpap or bipap won't do for me, no I had to get the really expensive machine called an ASV Machine. It keeps me alive at night, so I cannot complain.
Oh my, I've never heard of that! Is that something that with the weight loss will get better?

No problem! I started having very irregular periods which turned into month long periods. I ended up having an ablation in July. The rapid weight loss can result in hormone issues. I also have a thyroid disease which doesn’t help with irregularities.
That's interesting. Luckily, I had an ablation when I was 35 and a hysterectomy when I was 38. I still have my ovaries, though, so I'm having fairly typical, but mostly mild, menopausal symptoms.

Welcome.

Prior to surgery:
  • Diabetic - 3 medications
  • High Blood Pressure - 4 medications
  • back and knee pain - various pain relievers and occasional narcotics
  • Skin inflammation and sebaceous hyperplasia (overactive oil glands that cause bumps, mostly on in the face area)
  • Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS)
  • Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
  • Easily out of breath
  • Sweat at the drop of a hat
  • Couch potato
After surgery:
  • My diabetes is officially in remission - no meds, normal A1C
  • Normal Blood Pressure - no meds
  • No knee pain, very little back pain - no pain relievers of any kind
  • No skin inflammation and my face when from bumpy to smooth and normal and not oily
  • The HS issues have disappeared
  • My liver is healthy and normal
  • I walk, I hike, and do whatever and don't get out of breath unless I'm really, really pushing it
  • I have to be burning some serious calories to start sweating now, extra hot/humid days excluded of course, but even then my sweating is not nearly like what it used to be
  • Active around my property, active with my wife, active with my daughter
I would do it again any day and twice on Sunday. I suspect it has saved my life, or at least added some years to it. At the very least my life is more productive and my quality of life is 1000% above and beyond what it used to be. That has not only been good for me, but also for my family. Even with life's ups and downs, I'm able to handle everything a bit better with my health under control.

Everyone has challenges before and after surgery. It doesn't fix our coping mechanisms to stress or heartache or other things like that, but it is one less thing that can be a burden on your life, and that can make dealing with other aspects of life a bit better, or sometimes a lot better. Of course, life goes on and nothing can prevent bad things from happening, but in my opinion, it has done more for me than I could have ever expected. Not everyone has the same experience, but the odds are in your favor that it will be good and beneficial for you.

Hi, Yoda. It sounds like you have really gone and are still going through some stuff. I feel for you. The benefits of WLS to the quality of life definitely makes WLS something you should consider.

I was 50 years old and menopausal when I had the gastric bypass in June of 2020. I had diabetes, severe GERD, high cholesterol & BP, fatty liver, arthritis. Basically, I was a walking example of the damage "metabolic syndrome" can do. 1 month after and I was able to sleep on my side again, without waking up due to the pain in my arthritic hip and/or shoulder. I can wear any kind of shoes because my plantar fasciitis is gone. My blood work just came back and is great. No diabetes, no cholesterol issues, no liver issues. I can do yard work, walk, climb the ladder to paint the walls for hours before my joints give me a reminder that I'm not 21 anymore lol

I could not agree more with what Ryan said above. It saved my life. Forget mortality. The quality of my life has gone up more than I even imagined. I know that I will be able to enjoy the years that it may have added to my life now. I wish you luck.

Hi, Yoda. It sounds like you have really gone and are still going through some stuff. I feel for you. The benefits of WLS to the quality of life definitely makes WLS something you should consider.

I was 50 years old and menopausal when I had the gastric bypass in June of 2020. I had diabetes, severe GERD, high cholesterol & BP, fatty liver, arthritis. Basically, I was a walking example of the damage "metabolic syndrome" can do. 1 month after and I was able to sleep on my side again, without waking up due to the pain in my arthritic hip and/or shoulder. I can wear any kind of shoes because my plantar fasciitis is gone. My blood work just came back and is great. No diabetes, no cholesterol issues, no liver issues. I can do yard work, walk, climb the ladder to paint the walls for hours before my joints give me a reminder that I'm not 21 anymore lol

I could not agree more with what Ryan said above. It saved my life. Forget mortality. The quality of my life has gone up more than I even imagined. I know that I will be able to enjoy the years that it may have added to my life now. I wish you luck.
I'm so happy for you! I can't imagine what it's like to wear any type of shoes, that's almost worth WLS on it's own! :p To be able to walk without awful foot pain must really feel good. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm very excited to speak with the WLS doctor and see what I'll be able to do.

Back