• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Looking for good feedback!

Donna Mathieu

Hello all!! I am approaching my surgery date and am looking for good sites offering support, sharing and just overall good information. I am scheduled for my surgery on Monday, 10/20/14 and am very excited.....and nervous.....and looking forward to being on the other side of the surgery. It's been a tough week and a half as I have been doing the liquid protein only 2 weeks pre-op. This is week 2, and it is definitely better. Anyway, just checking in to see if anyone has words of wisdom for post-op. I'm looking forward to feeling more comfortable, energetic, less joint pain, and of course the clothes! Eating is such a social thing, I think that is my biggest concern is going out to eat. Thanks, and I look forward to talking with many of you!

hi Donna my name is Chris . I had the R N Y bypass April 28 2014. I am wishing you luck and a speedy recovery. my best advice is walk as soon as they will allow you to , just listen to your Doctors they will be your best allies

Hello all!! I am approaching my surgery date and am looking for good sites offering support, sharing and just overall good information. I am scheduled for my surgery on Monday, 10/20/14 and am very excited.....and nervous.....and looking forward to being on the other side of the surgery. It's been a tough week and a half as I have been doing the liquid protein only 2 weeks pre-op. This is week 2, and it is definitely better. Anyway, just checking in to see if anyone has words of wisdom for post-op. I'm looking forward to feeling more comfortable, energetic, less joint pain, and of course the clothes! Eating is such a social thing, I think that is my biggest concern is going out to eat. Thanks, and I look forward to talking with many of you!

WELCOME Donna to the Forum!!!

I also was a social eater, I never ate much alone but rather had a great time eating out (and in) with family and friends. I still eat socially but I am careful what I eat at home and what I order when out. Most restaurants have salad with chicken, ham or tuna in it. This is a great choice especially with an oil and vinegar dressing or even Italian dressing isn't bad. Another good choice is a hamburger with lettuce and tomato but order it without the bun and of course no fries. Order a vegetable with it if you like such as slaw, green beans or carrots. East very slowly, chew well and take home in a doggie bag what you don't eat. Another great choice is white flakey fish baked or broiled but not fried. If you go out for breakfast eggs are good, omlettes are great. Just stay clear of the carbs. No bread, no biscuits, no cornbread etc. Be very careful to not drink your liquid protein and then eat a meal too close to the same time, too many calories. I was allowed to eat regular food after 7 weeks post op. Of course you want to follow your own surgeon's recommendations.

The most important tip I have for you is don't stretch out your new tiny sized tummy. When you first start eating food you will only be able to eat a couple tablespoons at a time. When you are full, stop eating!!! Eat slowly so you will know when you are full. Fast eaters overeat before their brain realizes they are full. If you stretch out your new sized stomach then the operation and all you have been through is for naught.

Good Luck!!! Keep us in the loop on your surgery. :)

Cheyenne :cool:

Eating out is OK. What I do is have an appetizer as my main meal. I am still challenged to even finish the appetizer.

Also, I usually pick a protein such as a small helping of meatballs at an Italian restaurant or a yellow fin tuna at other restaurants again appetizer portion.

If you don't find an appetizer to your liking order a good protein entrée such as a filet mignon. Just cut off your 3 oz piece or whatever size you can consume (in the early go it may be smaller) and pack up the rest and bring it home. Nothing like filet mignon for the next several at home meals as your main protein.

Remember don't drink before you eat. If you drink, fine, but wait the half hour or so before continuing with the food. You will learn all this as you go along.

Dessert? Well, that has to do with "stealing" a bite from your spouses/friends dish. They will be more than accommodating.

Avoid the bread for now especially in the early go. Later on, you can have a slice of bread if that is your desire.

It is an adjustment. Eating will no longer be the center focus of entertainment. That doesn't mean you cannot go out with friends and enjoy the company and time with them.

Last week I was out to a buffet breakfast with a couple of friends. I mean you should have seen some of the stuff available on this buffet. Well, I didn't do the buffet. Instead I had a hamburger; that was the best alternative available.

Since I am out 11 months now I also sipped some wine during the whole afternoon. I actually finished about 1/2 the hamburger and 1/2 a glass of the wine. Don't worry, my wife didn't let the wine go to waste!

It's great

Hi Donna,
I was hoping to catch you on here. I had the gastric sleeve done on Monday the 13th and I'm doing great. As I left the hospital they changed my post-op diet to full liquids which include skimmed milk and creamy soups. I haven't been hungry yet. The biggest grain I have realized so far is the improvement in my breathing. I was doing nebulizer treatments with albuterol 2-3 times a day. I haven't found it necessary to do one since Sunday morning, the day before surgery. I know you'll do very well and I intend to use this website for support.
God Bless and I'll be rooting for you.

Hi, Donna!

I hope your sugery was successful! I remember that nervousness well...

My best advice to any new comer is to WORK YOUR PROGRAM! Do what the doctors tell you to do. Eat what you are supposed to. That has lead to my success. I still have a little bit of Taco Bell every now and then, but not every day, and not a whole meal (like 1/2 a burrito). When I go out to eat, I always bring home at least 1/2 of my dinner. And the best part is that I am OK with it! It really is a whole change on how you look and interact with food. Sometimes, I do not even bring home my left overs (gasp!) because my husband doesn't need to eat it, either. And that is OK!

I did not go out to eat, though, for at least three months. I really needed that time to figure out what it is that my system can have.

Good luck, and I know that you will be successful!

UNK, Hi neighbor, I am just down the RD in Hinesville. I am going through Memorial Bariatrics hopefully will have my surgery in December.

Back