• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Loose skin

3momchaos

I know there isn’t a lot that can be done about loose skin aside from surgery. However, I thought I’d ask here anyways because I’m in an awkward situation. The only area where my skin is an issue is my lower back/butt area. It’s so loose in fact that it folds over my tailbone. It’s uncomfortable when I sit or lie down until I adjust it. I’m not sure if there’s an exercise that can help with that area, but the more weight I lose the worse I see this problem getting. Any advice is welcome, and yeah, I know it’s weird LOL

Last edited:
I know there isn’t a lot that can be done about loose skin aside from surgery. However, I thought I’d ask here anyways because I’m in an awkward situation. The only area where my skin is an issue is my lower back/butt area. It’s so loose in fact that it folds over my tailbone. It’s uncomfortable when I sit or lie down until I adjust it. I’m not sure if there’s an exercise that can help with that area, but the more weight I lose the worse I see this problem getting. Any advice is welcome, and yeah, I know it’s weird LOL
It’s going to get a lot worse! Invest in some Spanx ;)

I don't find my ass rolls weird, but the fact that my KNEES look like a shar pei is jarring, to say the least! I asked my doc and she said exercise and moisturizer help but the reality is that it's never going to go all the way back without surgery. Not all insurance covers skin removal. But you should ask your doctor, because if it hangs to where it impacts your daily life sometimes it is considered medically necessary. One example is if your stomach hangs over your pelvic bone, so tail bone might be comparable.

So far my legs aren’t an issue, but that could change, especially around my inner thighs. I don’t mind wearing spanx, especially if I’m going out, but I don’t want to wear them all day at home and when I’m sleeping. I have an appointment with my primary in March, and my bariatric NP for my 6 month follow up in April, so I can ask them both if they’ve had to deal with this issue and if it could potentially be covered by insurance.

I was thinking along the same line as Missy that there's a chance insurance might cover it as long as the surgeon can come up with a medical need. If it is painful or sore it can cause a problem. When I first had Lapband surgery I was really bothered by the loose skin, but I was younger then. Now I don't care as much. Not that I like it but being healthy is far more important. Spanx are in my future, LOL!

I think everyone is different with How much weight they need to lose, where they hold most of their weight, how old you are, how fast you are losing weight all Will affect how much loose skin one will have. My doctor told me no matter what keep up with exercising after surgery I did follow his advice and I have very little loose skin. my main problem was my arms but I have been working on them and I’m very pleased at my results so far. I walk daily and because of Covid I could not use the gym so I have had to do exercises at home with weights which I use daily. I also have weights for the pool and I do water aerobics which has been incredible for a total body workout.

The only thing that changes loose skin substantially is not having loose skin in the first place, and it all depends on genetics, body shape and where the weight was stored and skin stretched.

I have "shrinkles" in that same area and my abs, my arms aren't bad. Some areas that have just a bit of loose skin, might look a bit better with some underlying muscle growth, but the fat that was there was between your muscle and skin, even if you build muscle, it doesn't really occupy the space where the fat was, there is still a layer of fat and a bunch of loose skin.

I hate the shrinkles on my butt, and I don't care for them on my abs, but I don't think I'll be doing anything about them, unless they get irritated frequently or something, but so far they have not.

That being said, I think it's a good idea for anyone getting the surgery to start a skin savings account as soon as they decide to get the surgery. Put some money in there every month for two or three years until you reach your goal and maintain for a while, and then you've got some money to cover a bit of work if insurance doesn't. If you get to that point and you decide you aren't going to get the surgery...buy yourself a new car or something. :)

I was talking to my NP about the painful loose skin around my tailbone. She said that they say to wait at least 6 months after being weight stable to look into surgery because during that time, if skin is going to “snap back” that’s the time it’ll happen. So if surgery happens before then, the skin could be too tight. I wouldn’t do it any sooner than 6 months of being weight stable, but that has more to do with the cost and amount of recovery involved.

The only thing that changes loose skin substantially is not having loose skin in the first place, and it all depends on genetics, body shape and where the weight was stored and skin stretched.

I have "shrinkles" in that same area and my abs, my arms aren't bad. Some areas that have just a bit of loose skin, might look a bit better with some underlying muscle growth, but the fat that was there was between your muscle and skin, even if you build muscle, it doesn't really occupy the space where the fat was, there is still a layer of fat and a bunch of loose skin.

I hate the shrinkles on my butt, and I don't care for them on my abs, but I don't think I'll be doing anything about them, unless they get irritated frequently or something, but so far they have not.

That being said, I think it's a good idea for anyone getting the surgery to start a skin savings account as soon as they decide to get the surgery. Put some money in there every month for two or three years until you reach your goal and maintain for a while, and then you've got some money to cover a bit of work if insurance doesn't. If you get to that point and you decide you aren't going to get the surgery...buy yourself a new car or something. :)
[/QUOT

I never heard that expression “s h r I n k l e s” before.i love it! So apt! Autocorrect kept changing it to “sprinkles” when I tried to type it....that’s why I left the spaces between the letters.

I was talking to my NP about the painful loose skin around my tailbone. She said that they say to wait at least 6 months after being weight stable to look into surgery because during that time, if skin is going to “snap back” that’s the time it’ll happen. So if surgery happens before then, the skin could be too tight. I wouldn’t do it any sooner than 6 months of being weight stable, but that has more to do with the cost and amount of recovery involved.
That’s good to know....gives me hope!

I think everyone is different with How much weight they need to lose, where they hold most of their weight, how old you are, how fast you are losing weight all Will affect how much loose skin one will have. My doctor told me no matter what keep up with exercising after surgery I did follow his advice and I have very little loose skin. my main problem was my arms but I have been working on them and I’m very pleased at my results so far. I walk daily and because of Covid I could not use the gym so I have had to do exercises at home with weights which I use daily. I also have weights for the pool and I do water aerobics which has been incredible for a total body workout.

Can I ask what you use for the pool?

sure. I have been a certified water aerobics instructor on and off for the past 20!years.
I use water dumbbells, water gloves Amazon has great prices. I use a pool noodle also. You can cut the pool noodle and use those as weights

I just went to a plastic surgeon because the overhang of skin was bleeding. My regular doctor sent me to him because I have had a coup!e of breakouts with infections.I do exercise and walk every day my weight is at a standstill right now.The surgeon said the infections will continue even though I keep things clean. I know I have to make a decision ,but it is not easy.

I’m sorry you’re going through that. My insurance will only help with skin removal costs if there’s 6 months of documented physician assistance with infection. I haven’t had infection, but I’ve had pain.

That sounds awful and I'm sorry to hear you're having so many issues. And there are so many things to consider. Are you at least close to your goal weight? I ask only because if you're only 1/2 way there and plan on losing a lot more, you could end up with the same issue again at a later time. Good luck making your decision. It is a tough one.

Back