• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Loved my gastric band 140 # lost....It didn't love me...switching to sleeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDLou

In 2007 I had the lap band surgery. It worked great! I went from 283# to 139#. I had a lot of extra skin removed and was loving every minute of my new healthy active life.
In 2012 I started having issues with acid reflux and a lot of vomit. It turns out that the band was tightened too much on my last visit to the doctors office. After many tests I was told that I would have to have the fluid removed from the band. There was serious issues with my esophagus. They warned me that I would probably game quite a bit of weight back in this 6 weeks period and i was also not to worry about it because it is normal. It was only supposed to be for 6 weeks. I was so excited to be able to eat some of the foods that i was not able to eat during my 5 years with the band. After the six weeks were up my weight was up 20 pounds also. I was told at this point that I could not have the fluid replaced in the band because the damage to my esophagus was not healed enough and might never heal.
My continued weight gain lead to depression, depression led to eating more and more weight gain. I was stuck and hating myself for it. After a year I was back up to 200#. My doctor could not get approval by insurance for a revision. I did not understan what the issue was so i called the insuranse company myself. That was when I was told that no paperwork was ever filed for a revision. After finding a new doctor and another year gone I am at 230#'s, the skin removal plastic surgery that I had done is wasted.
My new doctor and doctors office staff has been working tirelessly with the insurance to get me a revision surgery. Finally after 2 years I was recently given my surgery date. October 6th is the big day and I'm so excited! I don't have any details other than the date at this point but, I'm so happy. :)
I still am angry with myself for gaining so much weight back after working so hard after the 1st surgery to get in shape but, the therapist said I need to focus on my future and not look back. Future here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back