• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Macros

Kcuster83

I am in phase 3 (soft foods) I don't remember all the macro allowances but fat is 13g max!
DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD AND PRETTY MUCH IMPOSSIBLE THAT IS????
Unless you live off of fish it is nearly impossible! Which I am not a big fan of but I do get it in sometimes, tuna and mahi is pretty much it though.
Yesterday I ate:
Fairlife protein shake
2oz Turkey breast/light cheese on a tiny tortilla roll up
4oz Ground turkey breast taco/ light cheese on a tiny tortilla roll up
I had 23g fat yesterday!
I know most of it comes from the cheese (even light cheese) but shesh! Even if I had passed on ALL of the cheese (which was only 1.5 servings total) I still would have had 18g fat.
Stage 4 and "normal life" it goes up to I think 20g so it will be a little easier.
Any pointers? I am going to reach out to my nutritionist also because I don't see him for another 3 weeks.

Yea, right now I can't really get anything in but protein anyway. But it has fat... clearly.
I think the chart may be more of something to make us aware, and to pay attention to what he eat. Considering dumping, it probably has to do with making sure you aren't eating tons of fat and sugar that would potentially make you sick. I emailed my nutritionist, waiting to hear back.

Once again, different rules for every patient. Ugh, it drives me crazy. My dietician said I’m not allowed to count calories or macros because it’s impossible to reach those goals. Maybe that rule will change at week 4 for me.

13 grams of fat is ridiculous. Before surgery, my dietician had me on a diet of 25% fat and even that was hard to stay under. If you aren’t dumping or feeling sick, you are doing a good job, regardless of the stupid fat count!

Once again, different rules for every patient. Ugh, it drives me crazy. My dietician said I’m not allowed to count calories or macros because it’s impossible to reach those goals. Maybe that rule will change at week 4 for me.

13 grams of fat is ridiculous. Before surgery, my dietician had me on a diet of 25% fat and even that was hard to stay under. If you aren’t dumping or feeling sick, you are doing a good job, regardless of the stupid fat count!
Thanks, I think I am doing a good job too and have not had any issues with anything I have eaten. I am obviously not smashing some fried chicken or anything crazy so I think it's fine.

I am in phase 3 (soft foods) I don't remember all the macro allowances but fat is 13g max!
DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD AND PRETTY MUCH IMPOSSIBLE THAT IS????
Unless you live off of fish it is nearly impossible! Which I am not a big fan of but I do get it in sometimes, tuna and mahi is pretty much it though.
Yesterday I ate:
Fairlife protein shake
2oz Turkey breast/light cheese on a tiny tortilla roll up
4oz Ground turkey breast taco/ light cheese on a tiny tortilla roll up
I had 23g fat yesterday!
I know most of it comes from the cheese (even light cheese) but shesh! Even if I had passed on ALL of the cheese (which was only 1.5 servings total) I still would have had 18g fat.
Stage 4 and "normal life" it goes up to I think 20g so it will be a little easier.
Any pointers? I am going to reach out to my nutritionist also because I don't see him for another 3 weeks.
Post-bariatric "normal" diet is pretty much KETO eating. if your body is responding well and you are still going down as planned, I would not worry about little extra fat grams.

Post-bariatric "normal" diet is pretty much KETO eating. if your body is responding well and you are still going down as planned, I would not worry about little extra fat grams.
My post diet is not KETO at all. I think all centers/surgeons have their own meal plan structure. Mine is VERY balanced with higher protein. My "normal" phase or rest of life is around 100g carbs and 80g protein but under 30g fat. That is no where close to KETO.
Now, with that being said I still get too full from just protein so I really max out around 10-15 carbs a day so in theory I am extremely low carb but I am also low fat so still not KETO. KETO is a very high fat, low carb diet.

My nutritionist said to strive for 35% protein 35% carbs and 30% fat for my macros. Mind you, that was after I had been on a full diet for a while. So, while that is certainly less carbs than the standard suggestion of 50% for a healthy diet, it's not keto at all.

The idea behind WLS is to learn to eat a healthy diet long term. The idea that you should eat in any way that is considered a "fad" diet distresses me.

My nutritionist said to strive for 35% protein 35% carbs and 30% fat for my macros. Mind you, that was after I had been on a full diet for a while. So, while that is certainly less carbs than the standard suggestion of 50% for a healthy diet, it's not keto at all.

The idea behind WLS is to learn to eat a healthy diet long term. The idea that you should eat in any way that is considered a "fad" diet distresses me.
FAD diets are ridiculous! But I will tell ya, people fall for them. A healthy balanced diet is needed. There is a reason we have food groups.

Back