• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

magic milk vs protein shakes

I am terrible at math, so I did the math here over and over and over and I think I have it right now.

First some facts about Magic Milk: I always make it by putting one packet of Milkman dried milk powder into one quart of nonfat milk. I blend it until it is smooth and then I use it instead of water when I make soups or cereals.

And now I have gone over to the dark side and have been eating Premier Protein shakes for the last 4 days. It is an 11 oz drink by volume containing 30 g of protein. That is hard to beat... or so it would seem.

So I broke it down by the ounce. Magic milk gives you 2.0 grams of protein in every ounce that you use. Premier Protein gives you 2.7 grams of protein for every ounce you use.

According to nutritionix, magic milk actually gives you 16.3 grams of protein per cup and is 184 calories. That is to be expected considering the fact that you are putting enough dry milk in there to create another 32 oz of milk so the calorie count is actually quite good.

On the other hand, Premier Protein gives you 30 grams of protein in 11 oz. That sounds like a lot more but there is one X Factor.

Whereas every protein drink at the supermarket contains some sort of whey isolate or another form of calcium caseinate protein, magic milk does not. It is milk plus milk. Because it is not concentrated, the milk protein grams are what naturally occur in milk.

But I am done beating up on protein shakes. At least for the time being. It takes 11 oz of volume, which is an issue for post-op people because of their tiny pouch, in order to get 30g of protein in. It takes 8 ounces of volume to get 16 grams of protein from Magic milk. Even if you kicked it up to 11 oz of volume, you would only be getting 22 protein grams from Magic milk.

So it does come down to a choice in a way. Do you want to drink a product that is enhanced with additives that you will not find in milk, like extra riboflavin and folic acid, processed and adulterated, like a protein drink, or do you want to drink milk?

Using magic milk requires a lot of preparation at home. And then making something with it requires more preparation. You can just pop the cap off a protein drink and slug it down, no preparation at all. and although there are a lot of scary sounding chemicals in the protein drink, who am I to judge? I eat crap everyday, just like every other American. Unless you grow it yourself, you have no idea what somebody put in it.

Aaaaah how I long for my days on the farm. Everything was so simple and so perfect. Everything was organic and unprocessed. We didn't even have to try. We just took care of animals and grew plants and we still had to spend money at the grocery store. But if I had a chance to return to the Garden of Eden oh, I would do it.

Oops. I kind of got off track. The object of my lesson today was that I learned I could make something that was pretty nutritious and not pay the price of something very processed, but I would not be getting anywhere near the protein grams that is listed on the label of a protein drink. However, the drink I made today tasted a whole lot better than a Premier Protein Shake.

So I'm just going to use my culinary skills and trade off everyday. I need that protein. My body has informed me that when I was not getting adequate protein, I was super depressed, low energy, had exaggerated symptoms of a nasty head cold that turned into sinusitis, and just didn't have the muscle tone that I normally have. When you reintroduce protein into your body, muscle tone comes back right away.

I am terrible at math, so I did the math here over and over and over and I think I have it right now.

First some facts about Magic Milk: I always make it by putting one packet of Milkman dried milk powder into one quart of nonfat milk. I blend it until it is smooth and then I use it instead of water when I make soups or cereals.

And now I have gone over to the dark side and have been eating Premier Protein shakes for the last 4 days. It is an 11 oz drink by volume containing 30 g of protein. That is hard to beat... or so it would seem.

So I broke it down by the ounce. Magic milk gives you 2.0 grams of protein in every ounce that you use. Premier Protein gives you 2.7 grams of protein for every ounce you use.

According to nutritionix, magic milk actually gives you 16.3 grams of protein per cup and is 184 calories. That is to be expected considering the fact that you are putting enough dry milk in there to create another 32 oz of milk so the calorie count is actually quite good.

On the other hand, Premier Protein gives you 30 grams of protein in 11 oz. That sounds like a lot more but there is one X Factor.

Whereas every protein drink at the supermarket contains some sort of whey isolate or another form of calcium caseinate protein, magic milk does not. It is milk plus milk. Because it is not concentrated, the milk protein grams are what naturally occur in milk.

But I am done beating up on protein shakes. At least for the time being. It takes 11 oz of volume, which is an issue for post-op people because of their tiny pouch, in order to get 30g of protein in. It takes 8 ounces of volume to get 16 grams of protein from Magic milk. Even if you kicked it up to 11 oz of volume, you would only be getting 22 protein grams from Magic milk.

So it does come down to a choice in a way. Do you want to drink a product that is enhanced with additives that you will not find in milk, like extra riboflavin and folic acid, processed and adulterated, like a protein drink, or do you want to drink milk?

Using magic milk requires a lot of preparation at home. And then making something with it requires more preparation. You can just pop the cap off a protein drink and slug it down, no preparation at all. and although there are a lot of scary sounding chemicals in the protein drink, who am I to judge? I eat crap everyday, just like every other American. Unless you grow it yourself, you have no idea what somebody put in it.

Aaaaah how I long for my days on the farm. Everything was so simple and so perfect. Everything was organic and unprocessed. We didn't even have to try. We just took care of animals and grew plants and we still had to spend money at the grocery store. But if I had a chance to return to the Garden of Eden oh, I would do it.

Oops. I kind of got off track. The object of my lesson today was that I learned I could make something that was pretty nutritious and not pay the price of something very processed, but I would not be getting anywhere near the protein grams that is listed on the label of a protein drink. However, the drink I made today tasted a whole lot better than a Premier Protein Shake.

So I'm just going to use my culinary skills and trade off everyday. I need that protein. My body has informed me that when I was not getting adequate protein, I was super depressed, low energy, had exaggerated symptoms of a nasty head cold that turned into sinusitis, and just didn't have the muscle tone that I normally have. When you reintroduce protein into your body, muscle tone comes back right away.
I just gotta go with convenience. ;)

I have been using the premier protein shakes for on-the-go options, they seem to be the best thing available for the price. They aren't delicious to me, but 7 months later I'm still satisfied enough to continue using them. I tend to keep strawberry cream & chocolate on hand, usually ship from sams for the best $$.

I also use Muscletech Nitro Tech protein powder w/creatine as a post-workout shake 3-4 days per week. It is even cheaper per serving and I mix it with coffee, as I am a morning workout guy.

I feel like I spend so much time already doing meal prep including shopping that I just have no energy to consider home crafted protein shakes. But I admit the magic milk is interesting. I'm going to have to crunch some numbers on it, cause I'm always game for value & efficiency.

FYI, the price of Milkman powdered milk on Amazon has gone up about $5. So it's about $2 a pouch. And a quart of nonfat milk is about 2 bucks. So you get more than a quart of Magic Milk for less than $5.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I went on Amazon to order as much Premier Protein as as I could find in different flavors. They had vanilla 4 packs for $7.47. So I thought three of those. I did it that way because I use EBT SNAP benefits and Amazon accepts those.

However, I spent hours on the site trying to buy more and it was even more expensive than in the drug store where I bought a four pack for $10. It is insanely ridiculous that they are charging this much for this product.

There are a lot of protein shakes that have almost identical calories and protein grams. But as I have been reading along for a year, there is a big difference in taste. That is a real concern for me. I took Brenda's advice and got chocolate and vanilla Premier Protein shakes and spent $20 in order to get eight of these bottles. I agree with Brenda and Bill and Gzar and BLJ anyone else who says the convenience is very important.

But I love to cook and I love to create new tastes and enrolled myself in my own invention, the Meet the high protein/low calorie challenge.

And even though unscrewing the cap on a Premier Protein drink is convenient, it still takes me at least an hour to drink one. Just like any liquid, I don't gulp it down. And I just bite the bullet when it comes to the slightly unpleasant taste.

Magic Milk doesn't necessarily taste any better than a protein shake. But I don't want to spend my life looking for a protein substitute that is palatable. I do know that I can enhance the taste and the protein content using Magic Milk and other ingredients. And to me, Magic Milk does taste fantastic.

Some members here have said that they don't use Milkman, but any other dried milk to make this double protein Magic Milk. I completely understand that and it is way cheaper. But I'm going to spend the extra because I am worth it. I just now have to do a web search to find a better price on Milkman than Amazon has.

Considering the benefits I felt immediately, I am also going to continue to purchase the Premier Protein shakes. I just need to look for places that have them on sale.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I went on Amazon to order as much Premier Protein as as I could find in different flavors. They had vanilla 4 packs for $7.47. So I thought three of those. I did it that way because I use EBT SNAP benefits and Amazon accepts those.

However, I spent hours on the site trying to buy more and it was even more expensive than in the drug store where I bought a four pack for $10. It is insanely ridiculous that they are charging this much for this product.

I've noticed store brand stuff on amazon is almost always through a 3rd party seller, marking up the product for profit vs price you can get at the store.

Not sure if you are a sams club member or not - $1.50 per shake all day long, even cheaper than walmart. Similar to amazon prime benefits, if you have the $100 annual business membership you also get unlimited free shipping to your home.

Attachments

• shakes.jpg
    shakes.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 148
FYI, the price of Milkman powdered milk on Amazon has gone up about $5. So it's about $2 a pouch. And a quart of nonfat milk is about 2 bucks. So you get more than a quart of Magic Milk for less than $5.

There are a lot of protein shakes that have almost identical calories and protein grams. But as I have been reading along for a year, there is a big difference in taste. That is a real concern for me. I took Brenda's advice and got chocolate and vanilla Premier Protein shakes and spent $20 in order to get eight of these bottles. I agree with Brenda and Bill and Gzar and BLJ anyone else who says the convenience is very important.

But I love to cook and I love to create new tastes and enrolled myself in my own invention, the Meet the high protein/low calorie challenge.

And even though unscrewing the cap on a Premier Protein drink is convenient, it still takes me at least an hour to drink one. Just like any liquid, I don't gulp it down. And I just bite the bullet when it comes to the slightly unpleasant taste.

Magic Milk doesn't necessarily taste any better than a protein shake. But I don't want to spend my life looking for a protein substitute that is palatable. I do know that I can enhance the taste and the protein content using Magic Milk and other ingredients. And to me, Magic Milk does taste fantastic.

Some members here have said that they don't use Milkman, but any other dried milk to make this double protein Magic Milk. I completely understand that and it is way cheaper. But I'm going to spend the extra because I am worth it. I just now have to do a web search to find a better price on Milkman than Amazon has.

Considering the benefits I felt immediately, I am also going to continue to purchase the Premier Protein shakes. I just need to look for places that have them on sale.
Aside from price, is the taste different with Milkman than other dry milk brands? Pre op I was adding a tablespoon of my store brand dry milk product to my protein shakes and an additional scoop of protein to the blender with frozen fruit in the blender. Now post op the dry milk addition is revolting to my taste buds.

Taste is subjective. I grew up on a farm and loved the milk. The first time I had "store-bought," I nearly retched.

I don't like the taste of any dry milk. But my family bought Milkman when we moved from farm to cul de sac. We made a gallon of Milkman using water, then mixed it with a gallon of Carnation or Foremost regular milk. It tasted fine to me.

With MM, the ratio is different--not equal parts. You don't add any water. Combined with nonfat milk, the taste is strong, so I wouldn't drink it straight.

But my nutritionist gave me the recipe and said, "Anything you make with water--soup, cereal, potatoes--substitute with MM." She also suggested it as the basis for homemade protein shakes, and for smoothies.

The fact that the protein gram content goes from 7 to 14 in 8 ounces makes it a lot easier to meet your protein goal.

Fairlife Ultra Filtered Milk has 13g per cup and tastes just like milk. Even in a glass, with nothing added. Although, I mostly use it in cooking or in my coffee. It is more expensive than regular milk .. but I don't care. And it's cheaper than protein shakes.

Let me share this recipe again. It's SO worth it.

Taste is subjective. I grew up on a farm and loved the milk. The first time I had "store-bought," I nearly retched.

I don't like the taste of any dry milk. But my family bought Milkman when we moved from farm to cul de sac. We made a gallon of Milkman using water, then mixed it with a gallon of Carnation or Foremost regular milk. It tasted fine to me.

With MM, the ratio is different--not equal parts. You don't add any water. Combined with nonfat milk, the taste is strong, so I wouldn't drink it straight.

But my nutritionist gave me the recipe and said, "Anything you make with water--soup, cereal, potatoes--substitute with MM." She also suggested it as the basis for homemade protein shakes, and for smoothies.

The fact that the protein gram content goes from 7 to 14 in 8 ounces makes it a lot easier to meet your protein goal.
I'm quoting myself here, but I didn't invent this solution. My dietician gave me the recipe for Magic Milk and also the suggestion to use it as the liquid when making soups or cereals instead of water.

Getting your protein requirement out of the way allows you one less thing to worry about. In fact, that's how I eat, even today. I make sure I get my protein grams and take my nutritional supplements as early as possible in the day. Then I don't have to worry about what I eat for the rest of the day.

Also, milk powder is often low-fat, but rarely non-fat. That's okay with me, so long as I don't add fats to the rest of my diet.

Magic Milk is the single most important nutritional tip I was ever given. I urgently recommend it to people who are concerned about meeting nutritional goals.

Back