• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!
I am 10 days post after having my surgery. I have a lot of pressure and pain when eating anything. I use a baby spoon and take my time but can only get about 4 down before it hurts to much and I quit eating. Anyone else have this?
Also does anyone have pre made meals delivered to your home to help with weight loss ?

Hi. What are you eating? At 10 days post-op, I was still on a liquid diet. The only solid-ish thing I could handle was frozen sorbet. And it was ALL slow going. I was still drinking only about an ounce or two an hour. Your stomach has been detached, cauterized and stapled back together. It really needs time to heal. Listen to your body. Those first few weeks of liquid only, especially after the pre-op liquid diet, are hard. It seems like every minute is spent trying to keep down some liquid and dreaming of the day you can CHEW again. It gets easier every day. Hang in there!

I'd stay away from anything that isn't going down well or doesn't feel right. It might be non-heated liquids for a while and then try new things little by little. Your progression does seem faster than most, but there does seem to be quite a bit of variance from what one clinic recommends to the next. I would just make some adjustments back to more regular drink-type liquids and give my stomach a bit more time and then slowly try some things again. Usually waiting a week or two and then trying again can resolve issues you have the first time you eat something and it doesn't go well.

I think that is such a down fall with having surgery. I understand that everyone is different and had different surgeries but it’s crazy there is such a difference between Drs.
I was on full liquids for 6 weeks, purée for 4 weeks and I just started soft.
my advice to you is do not rush this process.

Missy is correct and she is representing the majority of post-operative eating. There is usually one week on plain liquids like b r o t h and then another week on broth that has less clarity followed by pureed Foods, followed by soft food, and then ease carefully into solid food that is still soft textured. You should not be eating anything with a spoon right now. If you don't have a nutritionist you need to get one. If you do, I think you are not being well served. If you don't believe me, do a web search for post op bariatric diets and you'll see that eating is a progression after surgery. You could really hurt yourself or damage your surgery by eating solid foods too early. You should act on this immediately.

I agree talk to your program. I was on liquids for 2 weeks but my liquids included pudding, applesauce, blended and strained soup. Then pureed- which included fish, tuna, chicken blended with 1-2 tablespoons of "sauce" which really isnt a puree but more of a paste. From there it goes to soft.

I did a search on the net about diets....there is a pretty extream range in diets. It also varies on the surgery you had. Follow what your team tells you.

Back