• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Medical Complications 15 Years Out

I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, so he treats that. While I didn’t need him to sign off or agree with the surgery, I shared it with all my doctors before hard. He said the vitamin absorption was his only concern, but it wasn’t concerning enough for him to tell me that I shouldn’t go through with it.
I had to google it, but I can see why vitamin absorption would be a concern.

Hello, I'm new.
I had RNY in 2005. I've had a number of medical issues over the years that I just learned were caused or exacerbated by the depletion of minerals, vitamins, hormones, enzymes, etc. because I have not been taking the proper supplements all these years. I was told to take B12 in 2005. I attended support groups once-a-month for two years following surgery and never heard about any supplement in addition to B12. I have injected B12 monthly since 2005 but nothing else. These nurititional deficits build over time until big medical issues begin to emerge and are hard to diagnose. I am looking for a support group for people who are at least 10 years out so I can find out more from fellow survivors.
My advice:
  1. Stay current with post bariatric news (diet and supplement advice changes over the years).
  2. Make sure you follow the correct protein diet and always take the correct supplements - every day of your life.
Thank you for your direction.
Polly
My surgery was less than 3 months ago but this is my biggest fear and was also my biggest concern when I was debating if I should have this surgery.
I actually battled with severe deficiency of all kinds because of another medical condition and I know first hand how difficult it is to “fix” once it goes bad.
Hope you will be able to overcome these challenges and wish you good health

My surgery was less than 3 months ago but this is my biggest fear and was also my biggest concern when I was debating if I should have this surgery.
I actually battled with severe deficiency of all kinds because of another medical condition and I know first hand how difficult it is to “fix” once it goes bad.
Hope you will be able to overcome these challenges and wish you good health
Hello. I'm sorry you're not feeling well.
I'm 18 years out. I went to pre and post support groups. I have been on Prenatal vitamins b12 shots, calcium and vitamin D from the very beginning. My team was very serious about not taking the supplements.I'm hear if you need to chat.

My surgeon tests annually for copper. He told me it was one of the minerals that have turned up deficiencies.
I take my recommended multivitamins, sublingual B-12, as well as magnesium and calcium.
It's important to have annual labwork ordered by a bariatric surgeon or other specilist.
Also I don't believe that all brands of vitamins are equal. Quality is important as quantity.

Back