• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Medication Effectiveness

I am trying to find out if anyone else has issues with medicine for pain that it wears off really quick compared to before surgery. I take medication for chronic knee pain due to osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease. It helps for a few hours then goes away. Is anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

I have severe back and neck pain and get 0 relief from any meds. Every doctor I see I tell them straight up I take Excedrin 4 pills 3 times a day to move. Answer always... that's too much yet no one addresses the issue. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and put on Lyrica and Cymbalta- one is extended time release and one gastric patient are not supposed to take (Excedrin is a NO NO yet that's the end of the conversation)
I have ADHD on top of it all, since the weight is gone my brain say do this and that Right Now, so after different horrible situations with meds 12 years ago I was put on Adderall 10 mg 4 times daily. This med works good for about a week then I have to go without for 2-3 days because it stops working.
I have had 3 major surgeries and strong pain meds like morphine and fentanyl doesn't work. I need a doctor that completely understands. ---- One massive pondering question--- Excedrin contains acetaminophen that effects liver so I have kidney and liver function tests, they are always normal, shouldn't this flag someone who truly cares about their patient and get pain under control with someone who has had gastric. I'm not a doctor and fell blessed for not having damage to my liver, maybe I am overthinking, but wouldn't that mean there is a malabsorption or drop off point in my system.
Sorry for long wind but I am so SICK AND TIRED OF HURTING AND BEING MADE TO FEEL LIKE A JUNKIE WHEN I ASK FOR PAIN MEDS. NO ONE SEEMS TO WANNA LISTEN.

That sounds awful. My daughter has had nonstop pain for 9 years and she is only in her mid 20s. There have been no good answers. She’s on Lyrica but even at high doses it’s doing less and less for her. I’m so very sorry you are suffering.

what is the cause of your severe pain? I'd want to get that fixed if I could. It's wrong to put someone on pain meds for life unless theres and underlying reason for the pain that can't be addressed. Please tell us more about the origin of your back and neck pain, because it's seems weird to me that you have chronic pain but then the solution goes right to painkillers. Was there an injury?

I am trying to find out if anyone else has issues with medicine for pain that it wears off really quick compared to before surgery. I take medication for chronic knee pain due to osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease. It helps for a few hours then goes away. Is anyone else have this issue or is it just me?
THIS IS something you REALLY NEED TO DISCUSS WITH YOUR DOCTOR. Anytime you use the word "pain," that's something you shouldn't ignore. And pain should NEVER BE IGNORED. Pain is something that's telling you something. Please ask your doctor. Comparing your pain to anyone in this group is not smart. Ask an expert physician.

Back