• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Medicine

I'm struggling a little with taking oral meds. It feels like they get stuck in my throat/chest area. It goes away but the first few minutes its rough. I've tried grinding them and opened the ursodiol capsule today. It was so much more foul then the protein drink. (It's the preventive medicine to not have gallstones). Did anyone else have problems swallowing meds? If so how long does it last. Crushing/opening and mixing with food is not going to work for me.

I had to crush pills until my 2 week follow up and then was cleared to take pills and capsules. This is also when I was put on the Ursodiol, which is kind of a big pill. The first time I cut it in half and did ok so the second I tried the whole pill and did ok.
For me the hardest part was drinking enough water fast enough to get them down, haha.
After a few days I don't have a problem even swallowing pills or capsules of any size.
Can you try to drink a little more water as you take them and after for a few minutes?

Sometimes if a big pill goes down "sideways" i feel like it is still in my throat but I know it's not. Drinking water makes it go away faster.

I open my omeprazole capule and sprinkle onto a teaspoon of applesauce first thing in the morning (Dr's directions). It's gross, but I do it, then a sip of liquid after. I have a hard time with the chewable calcium tablets which are huge and dry. Flinestones twice a day isn't bad, and I take a subligual Vitamin B once a week.

Today was a little easier. I'm going to wait on my ursodiol until next week. If I keep getting the famotidin to go down and the other small pills I'll go to the caplets.
Any one doing vitamin patches? I'm going to try the iron patch and a separate multivitamin. The calcium citrate is huge. I break it Into four pieces with water it helps. And yes they are chewable.

Last edited:
My nutritionist is the one who told me to get the multivitamin patch. I have super sensitive skin so they break me out, but I just live with it cause I don't like talking pills. She says they absorb better than the pills do. Good luck to y'all!

My nutritionist is the one who told me to get the multivitamin patch. I have super sensitive skin so they break me out, but I just live with it cause I don't like talking pills. She says they absorb better than the pills do. Good luck to y'all!
Interesting, my team says the complete opposite. That in most cases they don't absorb and we are not supposed to use them. But I guess you will know when you have blood work. Hope it works out for you.

Interesting, my team says the complete opposite. That in most cases they don't absorb and we are not supposed to use them. But I guess you will know when you have blood work. Hope it works out for you.
Yeah, that's why I always stick with asking my healthcare provider, they seem to know what's best. My blood work yesterday was better than it's been in many years, so I guess they know what was best for me.

Yeah, that's why I always stick with asking my healthcare provider, they seem to know what's best. My blood work yesterday was better than it's been in many years, so I guess they know what was best for me.
Agreed, and all surgeons/teams have different rules and plans. So, my theory is that I trusted them to do surgery (with my life) I need to trust them in the aftercare and process. So I follow my plan and my teams guidelines. I am sure all the plans work, but you picked your team for a reason. Know what I mean?

Back