• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Medicines

I have to take several medicines due to health problems. The type of problems I have won't be corrected with the surgery. Does anyone know how I'll be taking the medicines?

Barbara-Most of the people in this forum mentioned crushing their meds and mixing them with something like applesaude or Crystal Light drink powder. Some meds are extended release or time released and can not be crushed. Some pills will need to be replaced by a liquid form. You can not take any NSAIDS of any type after surgery even in a liquid form. These WILL cause ulcers in you pouch and / or small intestine. I was not told to crush my meds as long as they were no bigger than an M&M. I was told to open the Prilosec capsules and empty the contents directly onto my tongue and swallow with a couple of sips of water. Prolosec becomes very bitter if it's mixed with applesause or if you bite inot one of the tiny beads so this is why it is taken in the manner I described.

You should be given an opportunity to go over your med list with the surgeon or nutritionist so that you can be given instructions specific to your meds. I brought along 1 of each of my meds along with my list just to make sure if the size was safe to swallow whole.

Thanks so much for the information. I'm definitely going to take a sample of each of my medicines with me when I see the nutritionolist (spelled wrong). I never would have thought of that idea. From what I've been told, my blood pressure should come into control once I've had the surgery. Everything I've read seems to indicate that it will magically do so, but I have a feeling it will happen over time. I've got an appointment with the doctor who prescribed the rest of my medicines to discuss the surgery and medicines with him. I definitely need him on board. As it turned out, I ran across an internet site that shows him as being "bariatric trained" for lack of a better word. I'd thought, too, that maybe some of my medicines could be made into a compound (cream). My mail order pharmacy does compounding. I do take one medicine, however, that's a time-release, so I know I'll have to revert to the twice daily dose. There are so many things to address that I'm afraid something important will slip between the cracks.

Back