• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Misc. Questions

sue_t

Hello All,

I am in the process of my work-up with just a few appointments left (psychologist, EKG and labwork). Hoping to have the appointment with the surgeon early in January so that surgery (sleeve) can be scheduled before the end of January. Unfortunately, insurance will not pay, so I am doing the self-pay route. It stinks, but oh well.

I plan on staying with a friend for the first couple of days, but after that I would like to come home and be on my own.

Here are my questions:

* How bad is the gas pain after surgery? How many days did it last?

* Did you need someone to care for you after surgery or was it more of just having someone around to check on you every once in a while?

* How soon after surgery were you able to drive? The nurse says "as soon as you can stomp on the breaks without pain" - but that doesn't tell me is that three days, three weeks.

* How soon after surgery were you able to lift things heavier than 10 pounds? One month? Two months? Reason I am asking is because I travel for work and that might be a challenge with luggage if it is several months.

Thanks for your help!

I have been very fortunate and had little to no pain since post-op day 3. I was in the hospital one night and my son and his girlfriend stay over night the first day home. As for driving - you have to also be pain med free. I drove my car on Thursday (Monday surgery) to take paperwork to the hospital for disability insurance and I had to get my car tags renewed. Then I didn't drive at all on Friday.

My doctor said no lifting over 20 lbs for at least one month. I suggest you get that answer from your Doctor, they know more about your specific surgery. It may differ. As for me, I also had a hernia repair and that could be part of the equation.

I still have trouble getting in enough fluids, but I've been getting in the protein shake my doctor wants me to, but not all the other.

Hello All,

I am in the process of my work-up with just a few appointments left (psychologist, EKG and labwork). Hoping to have the appointment with the surgeon early in January so that surgery (sleeve) can be scheduled before the end of January. Unfortunately, insurance will not pay, so I am doing the self-pay route. It stinks, but oh well.

I plan on staying with a friend for the first couple of days, but after that I would like to come home and be on my own.

Here are my questions:

* Did you need someone to care for you after surgery or was it more of just having someone around to check on you every once in a while?

* How soon after surgery were you able to drive? The nurse says "as soon as you can stomp on the breaks without pain" - but that doesn't tell me is that three days, three weeks.

* How soon after surgery were you able to lift things heavier than 10 pounds? One month? Two months? Reason I am asking is because I travel for work and that might be a challenge with luggage if it is several months.

Thanks for your help!

Everyone is different. It all depends on your age and if you had medical problems before your surgery etc etc. Also the sleeve is usually an easier operation to recover from than a bypass, so you hopefully should do well rather quickly. I wasn't allowed to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for a month. As far as gas goes, I had very little gas. I had very little pain. I wasn't hungry at all and had a hard time making myself eat and drink as much as I needed so therefore I was weak for awhile. It took me the better part of a month to feel pretty well back to normal.. I think if you call your surgeon's office and push them for specific answers especially about the lifting when you travel, that would be the best way to go. They will know your condition and will be the best ones to give you answers. GOOD LUCK and a future speedy recovery!!! :)

The 2 biggest thing I would worry about is the heavy lifting:

1) The chance of opening your incisions. Most people do not stop to thing or realize how deep those incisions really are. Stop and think about how thick your belly fat is just from your hip bone out is than add another several inches inside to your intestines.. It can be anywhere 6 inches, depending on how big your belly is, or more deep just from the exterior surface of your skin to your intestines.
That's a lot of deep tissue that has to heal.

2) Post surgical Hernia potential. Add to the above mentioned and look at your abdominal muscles that are incised as well. The muscle needs time to heal. Add the muscular surgical incision to lifting and it is not a good picture...

The rest of your questions are individual.. I had gas pain and once I started poofing glitter it was getting better day by day. Now as I am adding more foods on my soft diet I am finding some things make me poof and others don't.. You will learn as you go along.

I chose not to drive for 2 weeks post surgical. I could have driven the day after I got home. I had no pain and was able to turn my upper body with perfect ease. I chose not to drive due to the crazy traffic, holiday drivers and the fear of other drivers.

Pain is a very individual experience.. What may be a 2 for me may drop you to your knees because it feels like a 10 for you.

Hello All,

Here are my questions:

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of good advice, and some not-so-good. Like my husband used to say "take what you need, and leave the rest!".
I had a fair amount of pain after my sleeve (2 months ago), but nothing that the pain medicine couldn't handle. My doctor said no driving while on pain medicine, so it was about 2 weeks before I drove regularly. I did drive some within that 2 weeks, but one of my incisions was really painful in a certain position-- the exact position of sitting in a car and sort of bending your stomach. I was home alone the whole time and didn't need any help. Anything heavy that needed to be lifted just didn't get done until someone came over to do it. My restriction on not lifting anything over 10 pounds was 3 weeks.
I didn't have any gas pain after surgery, and only moderate gas pain since I've started eating. I use Tums and Gas-Ex tablets for that.
Before surgery I had these random thoughts that they were going to "butcher" me, you know, carve out my stomach and throw it away. But I must say that since surgery, I feel like this is the stomach I should have been born with. I mean, who needs a stomach that you can pack a 22 oz porterhouse steak into?
I'm excited for you! You'll do great.

Back