• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

"must have" small appliances

LisaLisa

I have seen several posts/recipes for air fryers lately and I'm thinking that will be on my short list of appliances to add to my stable. On a facebook page I watch for recipes, they talk about "chaffles" which are eggs and mozzarella waffles that can be used for sandwiches (or something like that.) I'm trying to discern if I need to buy a single little waffle maker. I had a dehydrator but it took up too much real estate for the zucchini chips I made three times each summer.

Are there any must haves I should consider?

Oh, and the Facebook Bariatric pages are CRAZY! The things they say and the pictures they post!! Lots of um, bedroom shots...right there on the internet!!

hahahahaha!!! People are NOT shy on some of those groups. I ended up leaving a lot of them. I love my air fryer - it is multifunctional - I can roast, bake, airfry, rotisserie, etc. I use it constantly, so it is worth the real estate it takes for me. Plus it allows me to NOT turn the regular oven on during the hot months of summer.

I have seen several posts/recipes for air fryers lately and I'm thinking that will be on my short list of appliances to add to my stable. On a facebook page I watch for recipes, they talk about "chaffles" which are eggs and mozzarella waffles that can be used for sandwiches (or something like that.) I'm trying to discern if I need to buy a single little waffle maker. I had a dehydrator but it took up too much real estate for the zucchini chips I made three times each summer.

Oh, and the Facebook Bariatric pages are CRAZY! The things they say and the pictures they post!! Lots of um, bedroom shots...right there on the internet!!

Lisa -

You can make zucchini chips in the oven - I do it all the time. I also make kale chips and roasted brussel sprouts - that get all caramelized and crunchy on the outside! I can control the salt and put whatever flavoring I want on them.

I plan to get one soon. Heard they are great for fish. 3 months out still not much into any Meat. Guess this will change. Thanks for sharing

I never heard of chaffles until this very moment! Wow, endless opportunities for recipe combinations. Anyone here have a favorite, maybe something we never heard of? Any tips for perfect results, or best varieties? Wish I hadn't already had breakfast! Gotta go buy some eggs. I don't own a waffle maker of any size, though.

Dianneseattle, I beat one egg, add 1/2 cup fancy (fine) shredded mozzarella and about 1/2 tsp almond flour. That makes 2 mini waffles (chaffles). Then, as you say, endless variations can be made from that basic recipe. Just spray butter Pam on the preheated surface. Delicious topped with a little butter and drizzle of keto maple syrup.

I've heard of chaffles but never tried them. I threw my waffle maker away a long time ago. This is tempting to get an new small one!
I'm looking on Craigslist for a used one, and online, doing research for nonstick new ones. I've owned 3 in my life and seeing these images takes me back to the moment of experience, wondering if the surface is hot enough, watching the steam escape the sides, and the eating of a standard waffle, always too sweet and filling. Loved the variations, though, and the social opportunity. Who ever said no when invited over for a waffle brunch? And then there's the Belgian waffle. Need I say more? How about chicken and waffles?

I'm waiting for my grocery delivery right now, wishing I had a waffle iron! I know how easy it would be to make low-cal waffles, folding egg yolks+a tbsp of flour into stiffly whipped whites, including some protein powder and virtually any other options. Thanks for the recipe, Eli!

Woo-hoo, my groceries just arrived! wish I had a waffle maker!

I'm looking on Craigslist for a used one, and online, doing research for nonstick new ones. I've owned 3 in my life and seeing these images takes me back to the moment of experience, wondering if the surface is hot enough, watching the steam escape the sides, and the eating of a standard waffle, always too sweet and filling. Loved the variations, though, and the social opportunity. Who ever said no when invited over for a waffle brunch? And then there's the Belgian waffle. Need I say more? How about chicken and waffles?

I'm waiting for my grocery delivery right now, wishing I had a waffle iron! I know how easy it would be to make low-cal waffles, folding egg yolks+a tbsp of flour into stiffly whipped whites, including some protein powder and virtually any other options. Thanks for the recipe, Eli!

Woo-hoo, my groceries just arrived! wish I had a waffle maker!
Dianne, I'm not pushing any one brand, but I got mine on Amazon for less than $10.

I got this mini waffle maker for Christmas! It’s the perfect size for chaffles! Im excited to start making them :D

Attachments

• 939AA184-2E66-4862-A832-00734BD73334.jpeg
    939AA184-2E66-4862-A832-00734BD73334.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 8BCCE8C5-F44D-4254-B134-2186AD78E225.jpeg
    8BCCE8C5-F44D-4254-B134-2186AD78E225.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 35
I got a blendjet2 for Christmas. I am going to make it a point to have protein smoothies since the actual protein shakes typically don't go well. It small, one serve size and powerfull. Love that its a self clean, USB charge and you can take it with anywhere...drink from blender.

I got this mini waffle maker for Christmas! It’s the perfect size for chaffles! Im excited to start making them :D
I have the same one! I think when I'm a little further out I'll be using it a lot. Right now less than three months, my serving size is still 2.5 ounces. :( Not like I'll be making any sandwiches with these. Also I ran across a Facebook group called Chaffles Chaffles Chaffles (yes the name lacks creativity) that has bunches of ideas, to include a "wonder bread" recipe that doesn't use eggs, but mayo instead.

Back