• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My Date

Hello My name is Janis from Seattle. I am have RNY surgery on Monday Jan 6th. Any tips pointers , suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hello My name is Janis from Seattle. I am have RNY surgery on Monday Jan 6th. Any tips pointers , suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi Janis... WELCOME to the forum!!! Right now I guess I would suggest to just relax and trust your surgeon to do his part well and then follow your guidelines on your nutrition intake and you will be on your way to your new and better life! :)

Good Luck !!!

Cheyenne is giving you the best advice you can get. Follow your surgeons guidelines. Post op make sure you rest. Walk a little but not too much. The first month is all about healing. That is why your surgeon probably has phases in reintroducing you to foods. I started with clear drinks and clear protein shakes. The full liquids. Then pureed foods and finally about 4 weeks out soft foods.

I am sure you have a similar program. Follow it. It is designed to optimize your healing.

In the first week take your pain medications as needed; don't suffer. You don't have to. For me all the pain was gone within the week and most pain was not bad at all. The laparoscopic procedures that exist today reduce risk and pain quite a bit.

So, good luck, keep posting, follow guidelines, join a local support group and attend meetings and post often. We are here to help.

Ralph

Good luck and we'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Good thing you're not in the central part of the country. Sounds like we're getting really bad weather.

Congradulations on having your surgery. I had mine in Nov 13 and I don't regret it. Follow the DR's guidelines, walk --not only exercise but it helps get rid of the gas. ( gas x strips are great too). You'll do great, good luck to you. For me about 4-6 weeks post op I started feeling much better. Will be praying for you.

Ok Ralph and everyone and everyone else I Had the surgery on Monday and took longer than they said a had a few issues going on during surgery but Everything is OK. I am in a lot of pain but I know we very day will get better. The surgeon took me off Metformin already and some other pills. I lost 10 pounds just from Monday till today when they weighed me before i was discharged. All i had today was water and a few sf Popsicle tried Jello but it was gross. Anyhow I am home and happy .Looking forward to my new life.

Ok Ralph and everyone and everyone else I Had the surgery on Monday and took longer than they said a had a few issues going on during surgery but Everything is OK. I am in a lot of pain but I know we very day will get better. The surgeon took me off Metformin already and some other pills. I lost 10 pounds just from Monday till today when they weighed me before i was discharged. All i had today was water and a few sf Popsicle tried Jello but it was gross. Anyhow I am home and happy .Looking forward to my new life.

Congratulations. Don't be afraid to use your pain killers. You will find that you don't need them within a week or two. Now, the new journey begins.

Follow your program. Allow your new stomach to heal. That is why the first week is clear liquids, then full liquids, then puree and finally soft foods. This allows everything to heal. Follow all the guidelines you are given this is safety and in the best interest of a rapid recovery.

Then focus on making sure you get your protein requirement in each day. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT CALORIES. It will be awhile before you can truly have more calories; just as long as you get your protein and fluids in. I ended up dehydrated after about a month. So when I saw my primary doctor he had me stop my diuretics too. I have gained back about 5 pounds right now. I am also a bit sick right now with an awful cold. All of this makes the body hold water more. So , I am not worried.

Why am I not worried? Well, I am following my guidelines. I know I am hydrated now, I am getting my 80 grams in each day and I am staying at or below 1200 calories a day. I measure everything.

I know over time things will progress.

I simply feel too good now to fall back to old habits and start to eat too much etc., etc.,

Ralph

Back