• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My first Post!

Vtomlinson

Well I am now 4 days post op from my RNY. I feel great, no complications at all, am now on soft foods and only taking Tylenol. I am happier than I have ever been!

I have one question to those that have been through this. I know we have to be off the pain meds they give us before driving, but aside from that, how long did it take before most of you were able to drive again?

Just curious! :)

Vicki

Well I am now 4 days post op from my RNY. I feel great, no complications at all, am now on soft foods and only taking Tylenol. I am happier than I have ever been!

I have one question to those that have been through this. I know we have to be off the pain meds they give us before driving, but aside from that, how long did it take before most of you were able to drive again?

Just curious! :)

Vicki

Hi Vicki! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I was allowed to drive after 3 weeks but I waited til 6 wks just because I took my time and wanted to heal up more.

Good Luck! :)

Cheyenne

Welcome Vicki, I drove after 2 weeks. Dr said I could drive after I stoped pain meds I stopped p meds after week one but I new that the bouncing fromthe car would be ruff. The first I got back home from driving I had to take a pain pill an lay down.

After the first week I didn't need pain meds anymore.

However, I believe I waited a couple of weeks before I went back to driving.

My darling wife/sweetheart did the driving while I continued to heal.

I am surprised that after 4 days you are already on soft foods.

My Doc had us on pure liquids the first week, such as isopure and more liquids in the second week but things like Premier protein shakes, milk etc with an emphasis on making sure we get at least 48 ounces of liquids/water into our system each day.

It wasn't until the third week that I started pureed foods/soups.

Soft food were finally introduced by the 4th week.

Tell me about your food schedule. Did your bariatric center give you guidelines to follow. Don't rush it.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I started driving the second week i went back to work after my first week i didnt do pain meds when i got home from the hospital, but i do agree with Ralph I was on protein drinks (premier) and water the first two weeks then soft foods the regular foods on week five, I hope you are following your guide lines.

aleon

Hi everybody.
First i present excuses for my english.
I´m a general surgeon, bariatric surgeon working in medellin colombia south america.
I want to participate in the forum giving opinion about member´s questions.
I want to help all of you.
I saw members asking about gastric plication and scarce number of surgeons doing this procedure. I do this surgery and i have big experience with it. Please feel free to ask me about it.

Thanks for let me to participate.

Just to let you all know, I am following my surgeons instructions to the letter, as a matter of fact, he had me on pureed foods while still in the hospital. I am being very careful to do everything I have been told to do. I don't know why some doctors have different ways of handling each patient but so far I have no complaints! Good wishes to all who go through this process!

Just to let you all know, I am following my surgeons instructions to the letter, as a matter of fact, he had me on pureed foods while still in the hospital. I am being very careful to do everything I have been told to do. I don't know why some doctors have different ways of handling each patient but so far I have no complaints! Good wishes to all who go through this process!

Fantastic.

I am happy that you are doing so well.

I guess there are a couple of protocols out there for sure.

As long as you are doing well, that is what counts.

Ralph

Hi everybody.
I´m a general surgeon, bariatric surgeon working in medellin colombia south america.
I saw members asking about gastric plication and scarce number of surgeons doing this procedure. I do this surgery and i have big experience with it. Please feel free to ask me about it.

It would be interesting to hear from you. Your English is pretty good. In fact, it is better than some that grew up with English!

I would be interesting in hearing about your surgical procedures as compared to the USA.

Are you procedures all laproscopic?

What is your pre surgical protocol and then your post surgical protocol?

How many procedures do you perform in a month or year?

I know we have many good choices in the USA so it is interesting to see how other countries are doing.

Are your hospitals a "center of excellence" for bariatric surgery?

Thanks,

Ralph

Hi everybody.

WELCOME Aleon!!! It is wonderful to have your input on this forum. Thanks for wanting to help.

What is the operation you perform the most in South America? Just curious. Is it the RNY bypass?

Best Regards, :)

Cheyenne

Back