• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My first real plateau

Kim M

I lost 7 pounds in December. This was my lowest monthly weight loss since my surgery. The last few weeks I go between 185-186. I am not eating any more then I did before. I still weigh everything that goes in my mouth. I am taking yoga once a week and plan on increasing to twice a week with a private lesson. I live in the Northeast so walking is not always an option. I went to look at a gym last week and I really hate the whole vibe. I know in order to be successful I have to like the space and what I am doing. As the sales person pointed out that as I get on the machine the television would come on. Really, I hate television. There is another gym up the road, more expensive, that has a pool which I might enjoy if I didn't have to put on a bathing suit. I am down 86 pounds since I went for my physical that led me to WLS. There is a lot of skin. I am really wanting to strengthen my body which has grown weak through the years of inactivity. I figure the stronger I am the better I will be in yoga which I love, and the more muscle I have the better my body will be at burning the calories. I can't eat any less. Just wondering how you get through the plateau and what exercise you enjoy. thanks for any feedback.

Kim,

I do believe that if you stick with your program the weight will eventually start to come off again. Everyone has plateaus. It's like your body taking a break to catch up. Of course I think you will do better (as will I) when you can get in the walking or other exercise. Walking is so hard for me and I depend on swimming but can only swim in the summer (starting about the 20th of April until the end of September). I would go to the YMCA in the Winter but the hours available just don't suit my life style and there are not separate times for females and males. I would not be quite so self conscious around women so will just have to use my pool when it gets warmer.

Kim, Do you like audiobooks? I listen to one at the gym and the time goes by really fast. As far as people looking at you, I don't think so, they are too busy looking at themselves!:)
I go to a University gym where most of the patrons are 18-21. They are really pretty friendly and some have even spoken to me and said they admire me for sticking to the program. Once I caught my foot on the stationary bike machine, pulled my machine over, and cracked my head on the machine next to me. All the kids surrounding me started telling me funny stories about the stupid things they've done in the gym. I was glad that they didn't fawn over me or ask me if I needed a cardiac monitor or an ambulance!

Back