• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My head is spinning, I think....

CreateJoy

I called a bariatric surgeon last December with the idea that I would go thru these steps and somewhere along the way I would be able to decide if I wanted to go forward with having surgery. I've lost 45 pounds since then, mostly monitoring portions, making better choices. May was the 6 month mark, and when they tried to set a date for me - I sort of freaked. I told them I needed more time. So I figured I would give myself until September to figure it out.

A good friend suggested I try to determine what that would look like. Ive spent a lot of time reading through these posts, reading articles, lots of self-talk, logically walking it through....lots of time thinking what happens if I don't do the surgery.... and so I booked the appointment today. I really want to say "Yeah!", but I'm a bit scared to let go, and be excited. Although I do feel like this is the first step to the rest of my life (the "Best" of my life?).

I'm working with a therapist to help me build better habits and understand why I've made decisions that led me here. I've tried really hard not to think about being XXX pounds when I'm done, but rather thinking about being healthy, feeling comfortable in my skin (or in an airplane seat!). I still have work to do (body and brain), but I am moving forward.

I'm very impressed at all the useful knowledge here, so thank you all for giving back to the newbies.

Wow. Just Wow.

You found the best place to research the options and the journey you want to make. I applaud you. i too came in before surgery and read a lot. The surgery is not cheating, getting therapy for how you made previous food choices is the best thing you could do for success. May your journey be everything you want it to be.

I love this for you. So often ppl lose weight while preparing for WLS and think "maybe I don't really NEED the surgery." But maintaining weight loss is hard. Even after surgery its not exactly easy. However according to the latest research it's almost impossible to do so just by changing your diet.

WLS resets your hunger and satisfaction hormones. This allows you to reset your eating habits without the constant feeling of hunger. It also limits your ability to listen to your head hunger. You might to eat a bucket of fried chicken .. you physically cannot.

I also love that you referred to the future as " the best of your life" instead of the rest. I honestly feel better than I have in decades. Literal decades. I am doing things I never could have done before. And loving it. Good luck.

I love this for you. So often ppl lose weight while preparing for WLS and think "maybe I don't really NEED the surgery." But maintaining weight loss is hard. Even after surgery its not exactly easy. However according to the latest research it's almost impossible to do so just by changing your diet.

This is my biggest issue... still.
'If i just eat as tho I'd had the surgery, blah blah blah.' So i lose a pound and tgat mwans i can do this...all if that thinking feels like logic. But ive re-framed that thought looking to a tear from now, and i dont see a path that gets me to that 100+/- weight loss without this intervention.
I still find myself waffling, but i am committed to this path, which includes lots of pre-op effort. I think it helps me to work on this like an 18 month project. I do project management at work, we map out the steps, the time-lines, expectations. That works for me, focus on todays work, looking toward the end result ( whatever that will be).

Thank you (both) for your supportive comments.

I am now committed to going forward and have a scheduled date of Oct 18. Am finding a couple of doctors dragging their feet with providing their sign off, but i will work on that.
Fir me tge approach i took did allow me to move comfortably forward and know this is the correct path.
Just 43 days to go.... wow!
It'll go by in a flash. Once I got my date time just flew!

YES!!
70 days seemed lije a long tome, then 60 days ( wow, thats only 2 months...). But now eesh! And tomorrow is 42.... i haveca couple more appts. Then my final tests (the final checks within 30 days)...yeah... its right there!
I was really lucky my surgeon was a no-nonsense guy. He saw that I weighed 100 pounds more than I should and pretty much told me I needed the surgery, then got out his calendar because he had vacation time coming up and wanted to get me in under the wire. A few days later I was in the hospital getting major RYGB, the way they used to do it in the old days, and over the next 14 months, lost 115 pounds (with a long stall where I lost nothing).

I think the way it's done these days, with a long wait time, can be counterproductive. Surely people can chicken out. That's not unusual for anyone having an elective surgical procedure. But I understand the surgical reason, trying to shrink major organs in order to get around them to the actual stomach before stapling or stitching or cutting. But if you're one of the people who has to wait six months for surgery, do find a way to stay in touch with medical staff and your surgeon in order to stay committed to the procedure.

And I know a small percentage of people gain their weight back and then some. This doesn't have to be you. Keep a food journal, study the nutritional content of foods, incorporate a regular course of movement into every day. Don't make anything harder than it has to be. I have tremendous respect for those of you who have to go through a long run-up to the procedure. Just start visualizing your future thin body on Day One and get your affirmations ready to recite every day. You'll make it.

Last edited:
Thank you Diane. As always, your experience is enlightening.
I actually put the delays into my scheduling, drdr. Was ready for me in June. But im glad i pushed it out. It gave me time to get my head straight and to really embrace the process.
A lot of our focus seems to be on the surgery date, but similar to what you mentioned my focus is 'the future'. I cant help but think/wonder my life at this time next year. While i also try to relax, not solve tomorrow's problem today, this whole process for me is taking control of my future.

Jeepers! Now it's 39 days!!

I was really lucky my surgeon was a no-nonsense guy. He saw that I weighed 100 pounds more than I should and pretty much told me I needed the surgery, then got out his calendar because he had vacation time coming up and wanted to get me in under the wire. A few days later I was in the hospital getting major RYGB, the way they used to do it in the old days, and over the next 14 months, lost 115 pounds (with a long stall where I lost nothing).

I think the way it's done these days, with a long wait time, can be counterproductive. Surely people can chicken out. That's not unusual for anyone having an elective surgical procedure. But I understand the surgical reason, trying to shrink major organs in order to get around them to the actual stomach before stapling or stitching or cutting. But if you're one of the people who has to wait six months for surgery, do find a way to stay in touch with medical staff and your surgeon in order to stay committed to the procedure.

And I know a small percentage of people gain their weight back and then some. This doesn't have to be you. Keep a food journal, study the nutritional content of foods, incorporate a regular course of movement into every day. Don't make anything harder than it has to be. I have tremendous respect for those of you who have to go through a long run-up to the procedure. Just start visualizing your future thin body on Day One and get your affirmations ready to recite every day. You'll make it.
I was lucky also. I had my first visit with my bariatric surgeon on 3/2/23 and had my surgery 4/12/23. I had to do a psych test with 2 follow up visits, an esophagus outpatient procedure( i forget what it is called), and 3 nutritionist visits before i could get approved. That was it! I feel for the people on here who are required to wait 6 months, lose weight before surgery, etc. That would have drove me crazy cuz i was ready to do the surgery and had done much research prior.

My surgeon said it is almost impossible for us to lose 100+ lbs on our own and keep it off.

Not only do I disagree, but I'm living proof that it can be done. I had my surgery in 2008 and have kept almost all the 115 pounds off all that time. I have occasional gains because I have an eating disorder, so sometimes I've binged and gained. But for the most part, eating more than a few ounces at a time was so uncomfortable, I couldn't do it, and I frequently vomited if I ate too much. I could literally feel the excess food backing up in my esophagus. I don't think a doctor should say something like that to a patient. I encourage you to believe in yourself and following a healthy food plan based on the post-op diet you should get from your nutritionist after the surgery.

Using my post-op plan, I find it super-easy to maintain my weight, even though my bulimic brain will win once in a while.

Personally, I don't know how I could possibly regain, you know? Just the thought of eating that much makes me want to barf.

Not only do I disagree, but I'm living proof that it can be done. I had my surgery in 2008 and have kept almost all the 115 pounds off all that time. I have occasional gains because I have an eating disorder, so sometimes I've binged and gained. But for the most part, eating more than a few ounces at a time was so uncomfortable, I couldn't do it, and I frequently vomited if I ate too much. I could literally feel the excess food backing up in my esophagus. I don't think a doctor should say something like that to a patient. I encourage you to believe in yourself and following a healthy food plan based on the post-op diet you should get from your nutritionist after the surgery.

Using my post-op plan, I find it super-easy to maintain my weight, even though my bulimic brain will win once in a while.

Personally, I don't know how I could possibly regain, you know? Just the thought of eating that much makes me want to barf.
i meant without having the surgery. I wasnt clear on that when i posted it. Of course we can do it with the surgery as a tool to help. i edited my post to fix it.

Back