• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My Journey

Jmarie

It was January 2019 when I stepped on the scale and saw the huge number staring back at me. At my heaviest I weighed 363 pounds. As I allowed the shock to settle in, I began to cry. I asked myself how did I get to this point? Where did I go wrong. It was no wonder I had so many health issues. I had no one to blame but myself. It was then that I decided that I needed to make changes.
So as usual I decided to go on a “diet”. I was successful for all of 2 weeks. Then I gave up again. It wasn’t until I ended up in the hospital 4 times within a month that I had (let’s call it) Jesus moment. It was then that I realized if I don’t make a change I am going to end up dying. So I decided to join the bariatric program. I knew I had to make changes starting from that very moment. I started changing the foods I ate. It was a difficult thing for me. I’ve always been overweight my whole life. I’ve never had the best relationship with food. With the little change I made I lost 20 pounds. Once I entered the program I started to see nutrition, see a therapist and I decided to join bootcamp. I can’t be more grateful for this program. Once I started getting in a routine I decided I needed to exercise more so I decided to get a personal trainer. Since joining the program I lost 40 pounds. I had my surgery on January 9. I had the sleeve done. Since surgery I’ve lost 20 more pounds. It has been a long journey. But I’m beginning a new journey in my life. It has been an emotional roller coaster ride. But I can’t emphasize enough how thankful I am to have had such support from my family, friends and to the providers who have assisted me with changing my life. I have a long way to go still. But I’m ready for this new chapter in my life

WOW!!! That was very motivating! So you just had the surgery a few weeks ago? Hows it going? How are you feeling? I am so scared of the first few weeks!
Thank you. Yes I had surgery two weeks ago. I am feeling better each and every day. Mostly right now I am drained and tired. Which is normal. I met with my surgeon yesterday. He advised that it’s normal to be tired. He stressed the importance of walking. He said walking will speed up the recovery. I won’t lie the first couple days were terrible. I cried. I was stressed. I was anxious. I was in pain. But I had my mother and my sister both taking care of me. I do recommend you have someone stay with you for at least the first couple days. It’s great to have a support system because it helped me. The pain does get better. I take children’s chewable Tylenol for the pain. Although now it’s more so soreness. My incisions (I have 6 total); most of them are small. They are almost completely healed. It’s important after surgery to keep them dry.

do you have issues with getting up from a sitting or laying position? Are you able to lie down or do you have to sleep in a recliner? I have-not told anyone I am going down this journey, so limited support... but that will probably change. did you get pain meds the first few days? sorry to ask so many questions, but you are the first person I saw that connected with that seems to have similar weights and feelings.

Welcome and welcome and welcome! you just got here and you've already touched someone's life (great picture, by the way JAKS). I hope everyone will give Jmarie a reaction score by clicking on one of the little icons in the lower right corner of the posting window. She's gonna do great here and become part of this great support group! Let us know if we can answer any questions and get yourself a ticker to add to your signature line. We love to follow your progress and give you THUMBS UP!

Last edited:
do you have issues with getting up from a sitting or laying position? Are you able to lie down or do you have to sleep in a recliner? I have-not told anyone I am going down this journey, so limited support... but that will probably change. did you get pain meds the first few days? sorry to ask so many questions, but you are the first person I saw that connected with that seems to have similar weights and feelings.
At first yes I had a hard time getting up from the bed and recliner. I sleep now even still on my bed for a couple hours then I switch to the recliner. It helps. I forgot to mention the gas pain- walking helped a lot and also using a heating pad. I am still unable to sleep on my side. But I have been trying to. I’m sorry to hear that you have limited support. I am here for any support that you will need! :) yes they gave me pain meds. I took them the first two nights then I stopped taking it. It knocked me out completely and I personally did not like the feeling. I did stay at the hospital overnight the same day I had the procedure.

Welcome and welcome and welcome! you just got here and you've already touched someone's life (great picture, by the way JAKS). I hope everyone will give Jmarie a reaction score by clicking on one of the little icons in the lower left corner of the posting window. She's gonna do great here and become part of this great support group! Let us know if we can answer any questions and get yourself a ticker to add to your signature line. We love to follow your progress and give you THUMBS UP!
Thank you very much. And thank you for the support. I just want to share my experiences and tips. And be a friend to whoever needs it.

At first yes I had a hard time getting up from the bed and recliner. I sleep now even still on my bed for a couple hours then I switch to the recliner. It helps. I forgot to mention the gas pain- walking helped a lot and also using a heating pad. I am still unable to sleep on my side. But I have been trying to. I’m sorry to hear that you have limited support. I am here for any support that you will need! :) yes they gave me pain meds. I took them the first two nights then I stopped taking it. It knocked me out completely and I personally did not like the feeling. I did stay at the hospital overnight the same day I had the procedure.
What a beautiful pic!!! nice to see whom I am chatting with! lol. So 2 weeks in and your pain in manageable - that is encouraging! how long do you feel one needs to be out of work? I might try to get approved to work at home if I have to. Thanks to your post I am thinking about sharing with my sister whom can come stay with me while the hubs is at work.

Thank you very much. You have a beautiful photo as well. Yes because the procedure was done Laparoscopic you don’t end up having as much pain. You will feel sore internally. But it is completely normal. So my surgeon told me 4 weeks. I’ve already been out two. It all depends on you and how your body feels. I am also taking next week off. I have improved with mobility. However I still need assistance with certain things. That is a great idea to have your sister stay with you. I needed assistance going to the bathroom. And my sister helped me. I am so thankful she was here for me to support me. Plus it’s a good idea to have someone home just in case.

Thank you very much. You have a beautiful photo as well. Yes because the procedure was done Laparoscopic you don’t end up having as much pain. You will feel sore internally. But it is completely normal. So my surgeon told me 4 weeks. I’ve already been out two. It all depends on you and how your body feels. I am also taking next week off. I have improved with mobility. However I still need assistance with certain things. That is a great idea to have your sister stay with you. I needed assistance going to the bathroom. And my sister helped me. I am so thankful she was here for me to support me. Plus it’s a good idea to have someone home just in case.
help going to the bathroom??????? can you describe??? LOL. I would die a thousand deaths to have my sister see me go #2! hahahahah. Has your scale moved yet? I hear a lot of people saying they haven't lost much the first few weeks... I can't see how that is possible.

Not sure what kind of help Jmarie needed, but I once had to get a riser for my toilet seat, one of those plastic ovals you screw on and it raises the seat so you just back into it slowly and there's no big drop down to sit. I had this for RYGB and again for a knee replacement, where I actually needed a lot of help even getting up from my bed to GET to the toilet.

Never forget, there's a "Johnny On the Spot" version of toilets and the only indignity you have to suffer is the fact that someone has to dump the smelly bowl. But having done this for others and knowing even RNs who spent years in school learning science have to do it for patients, as well. I have to have my left knee done sometime in the future, and you can bet I'll be elevating my bed and having a toilet in my room!

help going to the bathroom??????? can you describe??? LOL. I would die a thousand deaths to have my sister see me go #2! hahahahah. Has your scale moved yet? I hear a lot of people saying they haven't lost much the first few weeks... I can't see how that is possible.
So I needed help sitting down on the toilet and with cleaning myself. It was really hard for me at first. But my mother and sister were supportive. Or you can buy one of those bedside commodes. And yes since surgery I have lost 20 pounds. A lot of people are effected differently after surgery. One tip that helped was walking. After drinking I set a timer and I walk for 15 minutes. And I try and walk every 30 minutes. Keep moving is the goal. But only do what you can. And most importantly is to rest too. Our bodies are trying to adjust to a new way of life. So it’s a process but it is worth it

Walking after surgery is not just exercise. The movement helps to keep clots from going to your heart, and that means saving your life. But more comfortingly, the more you move, the better the carbon dioxide or whatever inert gas they pumped into your abdominal cavity to make room can move and seep out through fat, muscle and skin. You'll feel better faster. A lot of people experience more severe pain from gas than from surgery, and even think something's gone wrong. I'm not sure they were adequately informed of the after-effects.

Even if you don't walk to loosen up or fight clotting or exercising, you should do it around the house so you're more comfortable sooner.

Walking after surgery is not just exercise. The movement helps to keep clots from going to your heart, and that means saving your life. But more comfortingly, the more you move, the better the carbon dioxide or whatever inert gas they pumped into your abdominal cavity to make room can move and seep out through fat, muscle and skin. You'll feel better faster. A lot of people experience more severe pain from gas than from surgery, and even think something's gone wrong. I'm not sure they were adequately informed of the after-effects.

Even if you don't walk to loosen up or fight clotting or exercising, you should do it around the house so you're more comfortable sooner.
Agreed

So I needed help sitting down on the toilet and with cleaning myself. It was really hard for me at first. But my mother and sister were supportive. Or you can buy one of those bedside commodes. And yes since surgery I have lost 20 pounds. A lot of people are effected differently after surgery. One tip that helped was walking. After drinking I set a timer and I walk for 15 minutes. And I try and walk every 30 minutes. Keep moving is the goal. But only do what you can. And most importantly is to rest too. Our bodies are trying to adjust to a new way of life. So it’s a process but it is worth it
20#'s?? WOO HOO!!!! That is so awesome!!!! Your the bomb! I don't mind needing help sitting, but cleaning.... OMG! Can we shower fully when we gets home? Maybe I will just shower every time hahahahah. Wishing you an amazing Thursday! walk walk walk :)

20#'s?? WOO HOO!!!! That is so awesome!!!! Your the bomb! I don't mind needing help sitting, but cleaning.... OMG! Can we shower fully when we gets home? Maybe I will just shower every time hahahahah. Wishing you an amazing Thursday! walk walk walk :)
So you can’t shower for 48 hours. And make sure to pat down your incisions. Because if they stay wet that can contribute to infections. A good trick is use your blow dryer to dry them! I used the cool setting. :) I am walking walking now. I hope you have an amazing Thursday!

I don't mind needing help sitting, but cleaning.... OMG!
In a Weight Watchers meeting i once mentioned that i was having trouble getting back there to wipe. I expected at least a little sympathy, if not some good suggestions and shared storie. Instead, I got a snotty young mom from Issaquah (tony suburb to seattle) actually flaming me in the online group for having that problem. She said, That would NEVER happen to me and you're disgusting!

i never went to Weight Watchers again.

Even though it's bad for the environment, a baby wipe on some kind of stick (chopsticks come to mind) will do the job if you can't reach. Stop using them as soon as you can get a good hold on the tp in your hand.

You won't really need to worry about the #2 part after surgery for a while... took 3 weeks for me to be "on" in that department again... remember, you will be on a liquid diet... nothing solid in... usually nothing solid out. :)

I was allowed to shower the day after surgery. All my incisions were tiny and I only had that surgical glue, not stitches so that was a barrier protecting the incisions. So that was great.

I live alone and came home the day after surgery and honestly, had no problems at all fending for myself. Mine was a best case scenario recovery for sure.

Back