• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My New Journey

My surgery was August 5th and it went well…. However I had to stay a few extra days for test. My blood pressure was up and I had a cold bronchitis and they wanted to rule out things before sending me home. I got home yesterday and glad of it. Doing well and continuing my liquids.

I'm glad you are home now and doing well. I'll be honest, I don't like hospital stays. I'm already not looking forward to the two nights my surgeon requires.

Actually it is probably better for me to tolerate all of that poking and prodding in the hospital for a couple of days than to go home and fall asleep and forget to stay hydrated.

Congratulations on having your surgery!

Last edited:
So far so good! Almost 10 months out and 98ish pounds lost. I had my first bit of alcohol over the weekend. I know it’s not recommended until a year out, but I’m celebrating my 14th wedding anniversary this week and I’d like a little something to drink when we celebrate. I didn’t want to risk it while I’m out though not knowing how I’d do, so I tried a little Moscato one day and vodka with lemonade on another. Both went fine, but boy am I going to be a cheap date! LOL

So far so good! Almost 10 months out and 98ish pounds lost. I had my first bit of alcohol over the weekend. I know it’s not recommended until a year out, but I’m celebrating my 14th wedding anniversary this week and I’d like a little something to drink when we celebrate. I didn’t want to risk it while I’m out though not knowing how I’d do, so I tried a little Moscato one day and vodka with lemonade on another. Both went fine, but boy am I going to be a cheap date! LOL
Yah!!!! Good for you, I love it!!! Can’t wait to have my 1st one. I don’t know you , but I’m proud of you, gives me much hope to succeed… Go Girl

Mine is scheduled for Wednesday. Have to start all liquids tomorrow. Check in at hospital 5:30 am Wednesday morning. Doubt I will will sleep at all Tuesday night.

Does anyone sleep the night before surgery?
Omg Kathi it's almost here!!! I had my RnY July 12th, 10:30 check-in, anesthesia/surgery started around 12:45 & finished 4 hrs later, due to an added hernia repair, thank the Lord.

I was awake til abt 3 or 3:30 a.m., got up at 7. I figured I'd "sleep" enough while under anesthesia.

Good luck!

Dori I'm so glad you are doing so well.
Staying hydrated, getting protein shakes down, and making myself walk every day really helped my healing go well.

Since my last weigh-in the Tues before my surgery on July 12th til my home scale check this morning, I've lost 30 lbs. It's a wonderful feeling being a new member of the "loser's club!!!" I know you will have much success like so many others here.

Congrats Dori on your surgery! Glad to hear you are home now and I hope you are doing well. From the words of my surgeon (which you probably have heard over and over again)...

Sip, sip, sip.... walk, walk, walk!!!

I think we could make a song out of that if we have any song writers here! :D

Back