• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My new soft food requirements

Kathi_S

Here are my new soft food (my food does not have to be pureed, just be very soft and chopped small) requirements given to me by my nutritionist yesterday:
  • 65 g protein
  • 65 oz water
  • 3 meals per day
  • 1/4 c to 1/2 c portion
  • No protein shakes (unless absolutely necessary to make protein goals)
  • 400 to 600 calories
I've posted about this before, I knew this was coming. I also have a very small list of foods to choose from. If I want to eat anything not on the list, I need to contact her first.

So I talked with her quite a bit about ways to meet these goals and asked a lot of questions. I told her about some ideas I had, which she fully approved of.

So I spent most of this morning trying to come up with some tasty ideas for some high protein meals. While I was in the full liquid stage, I really wanted some cream soup so I ordered some cream soups online that are made for bariatric patients. They are high protein, you just add water. I got a few different flavors, a couple different brands. I thought instead of mixing them with water, I'd try mixing them with milk or magic milk for extra protein and using them as a sauce for my main protein source.

I have some sliced turkey breasts that I thought would taste good with the cream of mushroom soup with some seasoning, and some rotisserie chicken breast meat with some cream of chicken soup and seasoning.

I was also thinking about using the chicken with cream of tomato soup, add some taco seasoning and cheese, does that sound gross?

I have yet to come up with any great breakfast ideas. I can only have egg substitutes or egg whites. I can have ham. I've never done anything with egg whites before, I feel a little intimidated by them.

Any suggestions?

For breakfast I almost always have a Kodiak cake waffle, but I’m not sure you’re there yet. I make them with egg and milk and I add unflavored protein powder and cinnamon, so each waffle is about 20g of protein.
I can't have those yet. My foods are almost all proteins. Meats, cheese, yogurts, milk, beans, tofu, etc. There are some fruits and veggies only if my protein goals are met. No breads or crackers.

Well I made the three items I mentioned in my earlier post, and unbelievably if I ate one of each of them each day my protein would be exactly 65 g.

My calorie count is low though, so I need to add something without adding any volume.

I've got a few more ideas that I am going to try, and am still working on a breakfast dish. I'm thinking about getting some egg substitutes or using egg whites with ham and reduced fat cheese to make an breakfast scramble.

Overall, I'm actually enthusiastic to be starting this new stage of my journey. I am glad that I don't have to puree my food, as it is giving me the opportunity to practice chewing and eating slowly.

Kathi, don't make soup or cereal with water; substitute Magic Milk.

I made smoothies with MM, wheat germ, protein powder and fruit. I added other things to bump up the protein. Can't remember all the ingredients but I think I posted recipes here to the resource section. You'll probably find them with Magic Milk as your keyword.

I'd happily recommend such a search for all members. I usually met my protein goal before dinner. i lost 75 pounds in 3 months.

I used to use a peanut butter MetRX bar for an all-day snack. These also have 30 grams and are delicious. My backpack was full of them when I hiked, and brought me back to life after doing 7 miles on the treadmill at the YMCA.

speaking of the Y, i usually went 6 days a week. They have TVs on the treadmill and time flew by. The Jacuzzi was a delight, the Swedish sauna was amazing, followed by a tepid-to-cold shower, and every visit was like a spa day.

It was more about self-care than burning calories. Still my favorite thing to do. I want to go there RIGHT NOW!!!

Sounds like you're figuring it out pretty well. I will say I always added refried beans to chicken for a Mexican style meal. It's tasty and adds extra protein. If you can't eat eggs yet, get Egg Beaters, or another brand that is just eggs whites. I find it a pain in the keister to separate eggs.
If you have a CrockPot (or InstaPot that slow cooks) try cooking your meats in there. (No milk until the end, it will curdle) It gives meat a super soft texture and you can shred it and use it with almost anything depending on your spice mix/sauce.

Kathi, don't make soup or cereal with water; substitute Magic Milk.

I made smoothies with MM, wheat germ, protein powder and fruit. I added other things to bump up the protein. Can't remember all the ingredients but I think I posted recipes here to the resource section. You'll probably find them with Magic Milk as your keyword.

I'd happily recommend such a search for all members. I usually met my protein goal before dinner. i lost 75 pounds in 3 months.

I used to use a peanut butter MetRX bar for an all-day snack. These also have 30 grams and are delicious. My backpack was full of them when I hiked, and brought me back to life after doing 7 miles on the treadmill at the YMCA.

speaking of the Y, i usually went 6 days a week. They have TVs on the treadmill and time flew by. The Jacuzzi was a delight, the Swedish sauna was amazing, followed by a tepid-to-cold shower, and every visit was like a spa day.

It was more about self-care than burning calories. Still my favorite thing to do. I want to go there RIGHT NOW!!!
I can't wait to get back to the Y to swim. Have to wait a few more weeks for my incisions to heal for that.

I've been using magic milk, but didn't use it yesterday when trying out my recipes for the first time with milk instead of water. Next time I will use magic milk for sure. Even with nonfat milk only, my protein was 65 g for the day. So mm will just make it better.

Thanks for the additional ideas! You are my protein guru!

Sounds like you're figuring it out pretty well. I will say I always added refried beans to chicken for a Mexican style meal. It's tasty and adds extra protein. If you can't eat eggs yet, get Egg Beaters, or another brand that is just eggs whites. I find it a pain in the keister to separate eggs.
If you have a CrockPot (or InstaPot that slow cooks) try cooking your meats in there. (No milk until the end, it will curdle) It gives meat a super soft texture and you can shred it and use it with almost anything depending on your spice mix/sauce.
I love refried beans, unfortunately they are not on my list! I am going to ask to have them added.

I am going to the store today to pick up some egg beaters to make up some breakfast dishes.

My cream of tomato soup sauce with taco seasoning, rotisserie chicken and shredded cheese made a really tasty Mexican chicken dish (to me at least). My taste buds might be completely whacked out, LOL.

Thanks for the ideas.

P.S. Egg Beaters are egg whites only, with artificial color. Separating eggs is super easy and if you must, add a drop of yellow food color. Otherwise, enjoy the protein of the egg without the cholesterol fat of the yolk.

Your dog or cat will thank you, or you can save them for awesome recipes like real hollandaise sauce.

Dont waste your money on processed food when you can make something better, leaving no carbon footprint.

Back