• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My Story Newbie

Badgy

I'm 52 and blessed with no comorbidities. Perfect blood pressure since I quit smoking four years ago. Great blood sugar, which I attribute to never drinking sodas. GERD only during my period when my metabolism slows to a crawl. There may be some apnea, I'll find out next month during my sleep study. But all in all, I'm in great health and don't meet any of the surgery criteria EXCEPT for my BMI which is 41. (However, a recent set of bloodwork has revealed super high parathyroid numbers. I'm in the process of finding out what that's all about.)

I elected to have this surgery for a few reasons. First, several people in my circle have had it and tell me it's the best decision they've ever made. All my reading shows fairly good long term results and very low risk. My mom died at 51. I've already outlived her. I think I'm in line with my dad's genes which carried them all into their late 80's. Facing another 40 years of life, I want to make the most of it and be healthy. I've wasted the last twenty years feeling miserable with this weight. I've lost 50 lbs twice. Both times I gained it back plus 10-20 lbs. This is not a cycle I want to repeat again. I can't afford to gain anymore. I am hoping the surgery enables me to make the changes and keep them made.

There's this voice inside me (probably my dad's) telling me this surgery is a cop out. That's it's just another piece of exercise equipment that won't be used. Another thing I'll start and not finish. (Yes, I'm in therapy for this... many years. Thanks Dad! Haha)

At the same time, I'm psyched and ready to start my new journey! But I have to be careful because I could actually lose enough weight to DISQUALIFY my surgery if I'm not careful. Talk about a tightrope.

This anticipation has walked me down many roads the past couple weeks. I'm realizing how many activities in my life revolve around food. It's hard to imagine so many things without eating. But I couldn't imagine my life without cigarettes, and I overcame that. And believe me, if I can overcome that, I'm fairly certain I can make this work.

Thank you for allowing me into your group. I look forward to sharing my journey and yours.

I'm 52 and blessed with no comorbidities. Perfect blood pressure since I quit smoking four years ago. Great blood sugar, which I attribute to never drinking sodas. GERD only during my period when my metabolism slows to a crawl. There may be some apnea, I'll find out next month during my sleep study. But all in all, I'm in great health and don't meet any of the surgery criteria EXCEPT for my BMI which is 41. (However, a recent set of bloodwork has revealed super high parathyroid numbers. I'm in the process of finding out what that's all about.)

I elected to have this surgery for a few reasons. First, several people in my circle have had it and tell me it's the best decision they've ever made. All my reading shows fairly good long term results and very low risk. My mom died at 51. I've already outlived her. I think I'm in line with my dad's genes which carried them all into their late 80's. Facing another 40 years of life, I want to make the most of it and be healthy. I've wasted the last twenty years feeling miserable with this weight. I've lost 50 lbs twice. Both times I gained it back plus 10-20 lbs. This is not a cycle I want to repeat again. I can't afford to gain anymore. I am hoping the surgery enables me to make the changes and keep them made.

There's this voice inside me (probably my dad's) telling me this surgery is a cop out. That's it's just another piece of exercise equipment that won't be used. Another thing I'll start and not finish. (Yes, I'm in therapy for this... many years. Thanks Dad! Haha)

At the same time, I'm psyched and ready to start my new journey! But I have to be careful because I could actually lose enough weight to DISQUALIFY my surgery if I'm not careful. Talk about a tightrope.

This anticipation has walked me down many roads the past couple weeks. I'm realizing how many activities in my life revolve around food. It's hard to imagine so many things without eating. But I couldn't imagine my life without cigarettes, and I overcame that. And believe me, if I can overcome that, I'm fairly certain I can make this work.

Thank you for allowing me into your group. I look forward to sharing my journey and yours.
Hi Badgy- Welcome! Badgy is an interesting name choice. Sounds like you are in the right place. I'm 66 and got sleeved 3/19/19. I couldn't imagine surviving my retirement years as heavy and out-of-shape that I was. Similar to you, I lost 80 lbs 3 times in my life but always gained it back plus more.
I am a food lover and at 9 months after surgery I am very happy with small portions. I don't feel as if I've given anything up. The operation is a very personal decision, but I am so glad I did it.
Welcome, and keep coming back!

Hi Badgy- Welcome! Badgy is an interesting name choice. Sounds like you are in the right place. I'm 66 and got sleeved 3/19/19. I couldn't imagine surviving my retirement years as heavy and out-of-shape that I was. Similar to you, I lost 80 lbs 3 times in my life but always gained it back plus more.
I am a food lover and at 9 months after surgery I am very happy with small portions. I don't feel as if I've given anything up. The operation is a very personal decision, but I am so glad I did it.
Hey Tex, good to see you!!! Hope your holidays went well. :)

Your post makes me feel so hopeful! <3 Thank you! My real name is Candy -IKR?- I chose Badgy for badgers for dachshunds. Cuz I love weenie dogs aka badger dogs. Lol.

Back