• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My surgery date :)

Kdrivera

My surgery is this up coming Thursday the 9th. I am super excited and super scared. I just hope everything goes great. I think I am more afraid of the afterwards as I hear the hardest is the day after and the first week after surgery. Also the head hunger is hard to tolerate as well. I just hope that I can be strong enough to handle it all. Well good luck to everyone who is up coming soon as well adn to those who have just recently had their surgery!!

My surgery is this up coming Thursday the 9th. I am super excited and super scared. I just hope everything goes great. I think I am more afraid of the afterwards as I hear the hardest is the day after and the first week after surgery. Also the head hunger is hard to tolerate as well. I just hope that I can be strong enough to handle it all. Well good luck to everyone who is up coming soon as well adn to those who have just recently had their surgery!!

As for myself, after surgery was much easier than I ever expected. Not much pain at all. My tummy was a little sore but not too bad. Yes I was somewhat weak and had a hard time drinking as I was so full as soon as I started trying to drink. But all and all it wasn't bad. Fear of the surgery is very normal but try to relax and put your faith in your surgeon. He must be good or you wouldn't have picked him, correct?

Good Luck and keep us posted!!! :)

Cheyenne. :cool:

I was questioning my decision all the way into the operating room and until they put me under, this is normal and I think if you don't have any doubt its probable more worrisome then those who have some.

When I arrived at my surgery date. I was calm. I had put this decision off once before back in 2009. I had investigated gastric bypass as early as the year 2000. I wasn't ready back then. This time I was ready. I moved forward knowing I was heading to a new life.

There will be so many benefits post op. As far as being scared about pain and recovery, do follow all the instructions and guidelines that your Doctor tells you to follow. By doing so you will be fine. The surgery procedure is laparoscopic, which is minimally evasive. It thus allows for a quicker recovery and a whole lot less pain. You will be sore, but not bad. Take your pain medications; don't suffer. I found that the hospital stay was not an issue since they made sure you weren't having any pain. Also, while in the hospital get up and walk around as much as you can. Don't over do it though.

The first week I found that I needed to rest a lot and I did need some amount of pain killers, but not a whole lot. I try to avoid the pain meds as much as possible. Having said that I also made sure I was comfortable at night so I could sleep.

Also, please remember the entire first month is really for recovery and rest. Don't do anything. Yes, start to walk around as much as you can but don't over do it. Rest, rest rest. No lifting, no exertion. This is the most critical time. Follow the progression of food recommendations that your doctor gives you going from clear liquids to full liquids to puree and finally to soft foods, etc., etc. There is a reason for all of this. It is to assure that your new stomach heals properly and that you do NOT hurt yourself internally.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Thank you

Thank you all for the positive feedback and advice. very helpful to read what others have gone through. Also, to know that I am not the only one who has had these thoughts and or feelings about the process. I will let you all know how it goes :)

Back