• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My surgery is cancelled!!!!!

I’m sorry your surgery was cancelled. I can appreciate your disappointment. I had mine 2 weeks ago and I wish it had been cancelled. The primary reason is the lack of follow up due to covid restrictions at the hospital. I am following what I was given preop for the post op plan but have many questions that won’t be answered. You only get one shot at this. My feeling is that it’s best done under optimal conditions to facilitate success versus getting it done with less than optimal circumstances that may hamper your recovery/success.

I’m sorry your surgery was cancelled. I can appreciate your disappointment. I had mine 2 weeks ago and I wish it had been cancelled. The primary reason is the lack of follow up due to covid restrictions at the hospital. I am following what I was given preop for the post op plan but have many questions that won’t be answered. You only get one shot at this. My feeling is that it’s best done under optimal conditions to facilitate success versus getting it done with less than optimal circumstances that may hamper your recovery/success.
I'm sorry, that's a terrible position to be in. Let us know if we can help answer any questions. Of course, we are not doctors but may have gone through something you're wondering about.

I was scheduled for march 25 and today hospital cancelled cause of corona virus! I am so bummed out it sounds like its gonna be awhile before I get to reschedule.
So sorry, me too--my surgery was concelled. It was scheduled for this am, If it helps at all, the nurse said that one of the reasons (besides the Hospital's mandate of no elective surgery) was the chance that if something went wrong or we needed the emergency room after going home, we probably would get sicker and perhaps catch the virus from a very sick person/persons. This makes sense.

Our hospital has cancelled all elective surgeries. Allow me to explain. In hospital lingo “elective” surgery means any surgery that is not an emergency surgery. Types of emergency surgeries would be appendicitis, gunshot wounds, severed limbs from car accidents, heart attacks, brain bleeds, and so on. Basically, anything that you will die from within 24 hours. There are two reasons for this. The first is the most obvious. With every surgery there is a high risk of infection. Of course this risk is much larger with a known virus running amok. With a virus like the Coronavirus most of the cases that have turned positive started with no symptoms at all. Meaning these people have come into contact with and become infected by this virus unknowingly. If that makes sense. So from an infection risk standpoint the risk for any infection is higher right now complicating surgery. The second reason is to keep the staff in the hospital to a minimum. Lots of places are completely closing down to protect their employees and our hospital cannot do that. We must stay open so they are minimizing the amount of staff the best they can. Doing surgeries with limited staff increases the risk of complications and mistakes. This is dangerous for us and YOU. We are also working with a shortage of personal protective equipment like masks, eye protection, hand sanitizer, and gloves because people have bought up so much for their personal use or to sell online that our stock has suffered As healthcare workers we are on the frontlines for exposure and we want to limit our risk of contracting it along with limiting our risk of passing it to you and our families.
I imagine you must be very disappointed and frustrated that you can’t have your surgery now but know that it was cancelled for YOUR benefit. You don’t want to go through all the preop and the surgery and pain just to get a life threatening infection!
hope this helps to explain a little and make you feel better about what hopefully will be a short wait until you are back on the surgery track!

Our hospital has cancelled all elective surgeries. Allow me to explain. In hospital lingo “elective” surgery means any surgery that is not an emergency surgery. Types of emergency surgeries would be appendicitis, gunshot wounds, severed limbs from car accidents, heart attacks, brain bleeds, and so on. Basically, anything that you will die from within 24 hours. There are two reasons for this. The first is the most obvious. With every surgery there is a high risk of infection. Of course this risk is much larger with a known virus running amok. With a virus like the Coronavirus most of the cases that have turned positive started with no symptoms at all. Meaning these people have come into contact with and become infected by this virus unknowingly. If that makes sense. So from an infection risk standpoint the risk for any infection is higher right now complicating surgery. The second reason is to keep the staff in the hospital to a minimum. Lots of places are completely closing down to protect their employees and our hospital cannot do that. We must stay open so they are minimizing the amount of staff the best they can. Doing surgeries with limited staff increases the risk of complications and mistakes. This is dangerous for us and YOU. We are also working with a shortage of personal protective equipment like masks, eye protection, hand sanitizer, and gloves because people have bought up so much for their personal use or to sell online that our stock has suffered As healthcare workers we are on the frontlines for exposure and we want to limit our risk of contracting it along with limiting our risk of passing it to you and our families.
I imagine you must be very disappointed and frustrated that you can’t have your surgery now but know that it was cancelled for YOUR benefit. You don’t want to go through all the preop and the surgery and pain just to get a life threatening infection!
hope this helps to explain a little and make you feel better about what hopefully will be a short wait until you are back on the surgery track!
Thank you for sharing these details. While many members are naturally disappointed, hearing the specific reasons behind postponing may lessen the sting. :)

Thank you so much! This group has been a life saver!! Many of my questions have been answered by reading old posts. It feels a lot less lonely.
Thank you for putting it so good, I agree with your statement, ""It feels a lot less lonely." Everyone on this site has experienced weight loss surgery or is waiting to have weight loss surgery and has gone through the many Dr. tests to get clearances, repeated Nuttition visits and most a diet to loss some weight.. So of course, even though our heads understand why our surgeries were cancelled, our heads and hearts are very disappointed. This board is a God sent. I don't really know anyone in person whose gone through this process/surgery so thank you all for contributing and helping us.

Back