• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My Total Gastrectomy

Rhizome

I am a 72 year old male, married and two young children.

It took some time for me to put my medical history and current deficiencies on paper and show them to people I never met and don’t know.

Not because I’m shy but more due to the fact that we live in a small community with civilians with long noses what taught us to keep our private things between our four walls.

I also realized that signing up and getting involved with a blogging website with patients or cured patients struggling with equal problems, sharing experiences and hopefully some support and advise needs a comprehensive introduction. (not easy) to avoid endless back and fort communication.

Back in 2012 I was hospitalized to dissect a malignant nodular melanoma tumor with big biopsy from the adjacent area plus lymph vessels closest to the tumor.

According the pathologic report no metastatic evidence was found from 12 samples.

The definitive diagnosis were made by identifying the samples clinically. The difficult culture process for the slow-growing organisms took two and a half week.

For certainty reasons a CT scan was taken with catastrophic outcome.

Six deficiencies were found inclusive a chicken egg size Gist, a colony of Helicobacter Pillory and enlarged prostate, the other discovered issues aren’t relevant for now.

I was stunned to hear the list of internal problems other than the Melanoma where I came for.

I never did experience functionality problems or pain from whatever medical disorder.

Endoscopic biopsies were taken from the Gist and stomach wall with for me positive results, the Gist was not ulcerous, benign, with low (6%) malignancy but necessary to be removed.

This took place with resection of generous healthy wall around the Gist, approx. 1 1/4” .

Upon departure from the hospital I was congratulated by the whole team involved that I came over in time and that I was cancer free.

I think not really. One year later I was back in the theater to resect a new Gist and this time a large inflammation area was spotted across from the Gist affected side during surgery.

While under narcosis the decision was taken for a total gastrectomy with a Roux & Y bypass.

When I woke up the Bariatric and an Oncologic surgeon were there to inform me about the occurrences.

Ninety percent from the stomach was removed inclusive the pillory valve and a bypass was created attached to a third penetration in the stomach.

All this to try avoiding recurrence tumor growth.

The good news was as they said, one of the deficiencies was repaired, a herniated umbilical cord.

I answered “Good, when I dye from this surgery then at least that has been taken care of”

I was in total disbelieve, shock and angry and argued if this was the only available option because I sow my live ruined.

Looking back, the first 2 years after surgery were difficult with food dumping, loss of weight accompanied with nausea and weakness.

Weight loss ended about midyear 2017, I was down from 88Kg to 63Kg. sitting on my bones.

Right now, stomach wise acceptance is there (no choice), except for a string of medical staples still connected at one end into the stomach wall with the other end floating around, sometimes blocking the Roux eye.

Overtime, saliva is widely collected around the string and with the last endoscopic checkup in February a ball of food debris was clinging at the lose end from the string what concerns me bad.

I wonder if the string can be clipped endoscopically, any help out there, please ??

Early last year I experienced a lump growing in my right armpit.

Back to the OR again.

A lymph node was dissected with four vessels connected to it and sent for testing.

Result; the node was complete tumorous and tumor growth evidence was found outside it.

Instead of “congratulations you are cancer free” as I was told in 2012 now I have Melanoma metastasis 4 years later.

I was referred to a Diagnostic Oncological clinic 3 months after the dissection for a PAT scan.

Result (after an endless scan as it seemed), NO tumor activity, not even traces were found in de body, but they found something else again, an aneurysm at the up going Aorta from the heart.

I leave this as is, regular checkups for increased bulging from the Fussy Form are ongoing.

NOTE: PAT scans do not show cleartumor activities in the brain, kidneys, prostate and bladder according to my Urologist but CT scans does. Why I write this??

Because three weeks ago I underwent Turbt and Turp treatment after a ladder accident with afterwards blood in my urine.

Beside a damaged prostate, three tumors were found in the bladder.

Turbt for 3x Ta and Tis tumors treatment not shown during the PAT scan and Turp for prostate treatment.

OncoTile BCG flushings start in June.

Summing up my medical problems makes me depressed, I’m going still downhill instead of making progress.

I assume like most of the cancer patients I ask myself over and over “WHY ME”

Together with my wife and kids I started trying to cure the above with lifestyle change and alternate natural treatment, I hope and pray it works.

Rereading numerous times the above summary I slowly start to understand how privileged and blessed I am that due to the follow-up from the Melanoma biopsy the Gist and Aneurysm were discovered and due to the accident the bladder tumors were discovered in time (I hope).

How many millions of people without an upfront Ultrasound, CT or PAT scan are unexpectedly diagnosed and confronted with stage three or four cancer or other diseases often to late to cure??????????????

Signed: Rhizome

Welcome to the group and I appreciate the summary. I too hope that you are headed back to the top with your lifestyle change and alternate natural treatment. Best wishes!

Thank you Mr./Mrs. Pixx for your friendly welcome words.
I wonder if somebody is out there who also had a medical staples string left in the stomach after a gastrectomy an if it was resected endoscopically.

Ugh, you have been through alot, but the important thing is that you are still here especially with your children, they need you. Welcome to our group, there is alot of information on here to help you eat right and feel better, unfortunately you didn't have all the classes most of us go through before we have this surgery and a choice about doing it. You are a fighter and you will be fine, I'm thinking positive for you

Thank you so much Tracy for your friendly words.
We need to fight this horrible decease our self since there is still no cure against it.
Chemo is a killer treatment, 5 year survivor figures are scandalously low, thanks to Big Pharma.
I'll search for the info you're talking about.
Wishing you all the best and strength : Kind Regards

Back