• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Mystery pain for 3 years

tan978

I am 6 years post op, and 3 of the years I spent with severe upper right side pain. I had several tests over and over including several endoscopies,MRI,etc and nothing showed on any of the tests except an ulcer. I was taken to the hospital by 911 a few times it was so bad especially bending over. They even checked my gallbladder area which I had out in 1996 but they thought something was blocked even though the gallbladder was gone, but that checked out good. I did have an ulcer they found in one of the many endoscopies but the pain was still there after the ulcer was cleared. My surgeon exhausted all possibilities and scheduled an exploratory surgery and if that checked back good then the last resort was to go to pain management and not knowing where the pain was from. Well thanks to my doctor for not completely giving up on me she found scar tissue around my liver. When I lost all the weight my liver shrunk and was pulling on the scar tissue causing all that mystery pain. Now I have been pain free thanks to my surgeon. I just wanted to let people know, just in case this happens to someone else. Don't let the doctor give up on you or let them think you are crazy because severe pain comes from some cause.

I am 6 years post op, and 3 of the years I spent with severe upper right side pain. I had several tests over and over including several endoscopies,MRI,etc and nothing showed on any of the tests except an ulcer. I was taken to the hospital by 911 a few times it was so bad especially bending over. They even checked my gallbladder area which I had out in 1996 but they thought something was blocked even though the gallbladder was gone, but that checked out good. I did have an ulcer they found in one of the many endoscopies but the pain was still there after the ulcer was cleared. My surgeon exhausted all possibilities and scheduled an exploratory surgery and if that checked back good then the last resort was to go to pain management and not knowing where the pain was from. Well thanks to my doctor for not completely giving up on me she found scar tissue around my liver. When I lost all the weight my liver shrunk and was pulling on the scar tissue causing all that mystery pain. Now I have been pain free thanks to my surgeon. I just wanted to let people know, just in case this happens to someone else. Don't let the doctor give up on you or let them think you are crazy because severe pain comes from some cause.

Tan-I assume you had to have surgery to remove the scar tissue. I'm happy to hear you are now pain free. Make sure to visit the forum often to offer advice to those of us just starting out.

Back